Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 11:16 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,363 times

Advertisements

The undisputed number one sport in NYC produced a famous victory this week. Legendary champion John Rookie Wright took his seventh King of the Courts title this week. At 43 years old this was an amazing resurgence. He is up there as the greatest new York athlete of the past 25 years surging past country interlopers like Derek Jeter et al.

Could this sport rise to prominence while some of the country-suburban TV sports like Baseball and American football decline? When people move to NYC for "authentic" "urban" experiences this is the sort of thing they are looking for.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 11:47 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
One wall handball is definitely a NYC area thing, and I don't see it rising in popularity elsewhere due to the lack of one wall handball courts.

On a side note, if any fellow CD user wants to get their ass busted in handball, shoot me a PM

Old 07-26-2016, 12:46 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,363 times
It is interesting, you have country rednecks like Michelle Obama yapping about exercise and obese American children. What do they bring to the table? Protestant country sports like golf? TV sports like baseball or american football? What would country protestant Hillary Clinton bring to the table?

We need a New Yorker in-charge of America. Get these country porkers out playing one-wall instead of watching sports on TV. Think we would see much less of an obesity problem. A program of one-wall courts constructed all-across america. Bulldoze McDonalds and other dealers in country salt/fat/corn syrup meals and build one-wall courts in their place.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:35 PM

259 posts, read 268,357 times
I'm all for replacing McDonald's nationally with 1-wall handball courts. Just leave me my Wendy's.

In its current state, handball isn't going to make the big time. Sure there are tournaments and prize money but it's just too unorganized and not as common as baseball diamonds and even golf courses. Outside NYC it's hard to find many players and courts. There are a decent amount of 1 and 3 wall courts in places Florida and Cali, but NYC has over 2000 courts. Other than that, handball is perhaps more of a prison sport... lotsa walls and lotsa time I guess.

Congrats and good game Rookie. Timbo is good, but I don't like his style.. such a whiner and leans into other players' shots.

Where do you play, l1995?

Old 07-26-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeynutcocopuffs View Post
I'm all for replacing McDonald's nationally with 1-wall handball courts. Just leave me my Wendy's.

In its current state, handball isn't going to make the big time. Sure there are tournaments and prize money but it's just too unorganized and not as common as baseball diamonds and even golf courses. Outside NYC it's hard to find many players and courts. There are a decent amount of 1 and 3 wall courts in places Florida and Cali, but NYC has over 2000 courts. Other than that, handball is perhaps more of a prison sport... lotsa walls and lotsa time I guess.

Congrats and good game Rookie. Timbo is good, but I don't like his style.. such a whiner and leans into other players' shots.

Where do you play, l1995?
I haven't played handball in a few years, but I mainly played in Baldwin Park, in Baldwin, NY.

I used to be nasty at handball circa 2011-2012, I really gotta get back into it.

Also, it's important to note that handball was originally played with a small, rock hard ball, so there are tournaments for that as well as the version played with the soft, big ball.

One thing that always fascinated me about handball was getting rollers, there is nothing more satisfying in that game.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:57 PM

259 posts, read 268,357 times
That's true, there's small ball, which is somewhat more organized -- there's more indoor action for that type, and NYC high schools use that as their handball. I've almost always played big blue since it's more accessible, and for me at least, easier to pick up the game when starting out.

Baldwin is a drive, but you should get back into it. Exciting, and good exercise. And as we've just seen, you can be 43 and #1

Old 07-26-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeynutcocopuffs View Post
That's true, there's small ball, which is somewhat more organized -- there's more indoor action for that type, and NYC high schools use that as their handball. I've almost always played big blue since it's more accessible, and for me at least, easier to pick up the game when starting out.

Baldwin is a drive, but you should get back into it. Exciting, and good exercise. And as we've just seen, you can be 43 and #1
Yeah I only play big blue too, it's way easier on the hands and can be played without gloves. It seems like more fun anyway.

I'm also willing to go to NYC to play handball, I'll probably do that soon. I played at a park in Midwood one time and lost every game lol. I just don't like that in NYC parks, it seems like a lot of people do that stupid "25 pushup" thing.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:04 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
This is ghetto tennis. Very much an nyc thing. lol.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I like it way more than tennis

It's basically paddleball with no paddles

Old 07-26-2016, 05:21 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post

Don't know about "ghetto" or what tennis.

At one time handball courts were all over NYC. Saint Francis Xavier had courts (long torn down), and you could find them elsewhere in all five boroughs. There still is one on Second Avenue near 35th Street and see all sorts of persons playing from middle aged white guys to young brothers.

https://www.nycgovparks.org/facilities/handball

Handball or some version of it is played all over the world: The Games People Play | Leamington Tennis Court Club

Only thing "ghetto" about it is you don't need expensive equipment; just a ball and a wall. Hence all those signs posted on NYC buildings about "No Ball Playing"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City