Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2016, 12:05 PM

762 posts, read 611,114 times

Advertisements

2 days ago I spent several hours on Ellis Island and was baffled how they didn't discuss any immigrants who came in during the 1930s-1940s (specifically during the Holocaust). During this time period, if you were emigrating from Europe to head (or at least stop in) NYC, where did you get processed and where did you land?

I admit I teared up a few times when seeing the Statue of Liberty and being at Ellis Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 12:21 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,764,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarOdomsDealer View Post
2 days ago I spent several hours on Ellis Island and was baffled how they didn't discuss any immigrants who came in during the 1930s-1940s (specifically during the Holocaust). During this time period, if you were emigrating from Europe to head (or at least stop in) NYC, where did you get processed and where did you land?

I admit I teared up a few times when seeing the Statue of Liberty and being at Ellis Island.

Immigration to the US declined steeply during the Great Depression; the affects were felt world wide just not in the US. So there was little incentive to come and most couldn't afford to do so, either.

Immigration was basically closed by FDR legislatively during the GD. The US had an isolationist policy pre-WWII that limited immigration and there were stringent guidelines one must meet; 29 questions including where they planned to live, work and how much money they currently had on their person. Were they ill, etc. It was to ensure they could be self-supporting. More were sent home than passed through. Yearly immigration was capped at 150,000 per year and bared Asian immigration altogether. It was focused on Western and Northern Europeans. But immigration was opened to countries such as Mexico and other Latin American countries.

ETA: During the early stages of the war the US took no refugees in. In fact, the government turned away a ship of close to 1,000 Jews fleeing Hitler. It's confirmed that about 250 of them died in concentration camps.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Immigration to the US declined steeply during the Great Depression; the affects were felt world wide just not in the US. So there was little incentive to come and most couldn't afford to do so, either.

Immigration was basically closed by FDR legislatively during the GD. The US had an isolationist policy pre-WWII that limited immigration and there were stringent guidelines one must meet; 29 questions including where they planned to live, work and how much money they currently had on their person. Were they ill, etc. It was to ensure they could be self-supporting. More were sent home than passed through. Yearly immigration was capped at 150,000 per year and bared Asian immigration altogether. It was focused on Western and Northern Europeans. But immigration was opened to countries such as Mexico and other Latin American countries.

ETA: During the early stages of the war the US took no refugees in. In fact, the government turned away a ship of close to 1,000 Jews fleeing Hitler. It's confirmed that about 250 of them died in concentration camps.

Oh yeah I knew that the US did send Jews back. Learned about the St. Louis.That being said the Jews that came in to NYC from Europe, where did they get processed?!

Old 08-03-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah I knew that the US did send Jews back. Learned about the St. Louis.That being said the Jews that came in to NYC from Europe, where did they get processed?!
They were processed through Ellis Island just like everyone else, unless they were first or second class passengers. They went thru an onboard process and disembarked in NY or NJ all others went through Ellis Island.

Eta there was basically no immigration processed at EI post 1924. It became a dentention s center.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
They were processed through Ellis Island just like everyone else, unless they were first or second class passengers. They went thru an onboard process and disembarked in NY or NJ all others went through Ellis Island.

Eta there was basically no immigration processed at EI post 1924. It became a dentention s center.
Ah I see. All this time I thought Ellis Island had significant meaning in my life

Old 08-04-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Ah I see. All this time I thought Ellis Island had significant meaning in my life
My great grandparents from Germany came steerage in 1928 and were processed thru EI. My grandmother had all the paperwork and several years ago donated it to the museum for their archives. There's a database you can check to see if your family were indeed processed at EI. Passenger Search - The Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island

It's not every single person but it's an extensive database from late 1800s to 1924.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:26 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Why don't you call them? I'm sure they have someone who deals with visitor questions, probably a historian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City