Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 12:29 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You don't have to own. It's perfectly LEGAL to sublease your own property, and in fact if I want to rent out rooms in my apartment using Airbnb while I am still living there, it is perfectly LEGAL in NY.

Is it possible some people may not like it? Yes, but frankly I don't give a d@mn. Not my problem what someone may or may not LIKE.
Agreed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 12:38 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
You don't have to own. It's perfectly LEGAL to sublease your own property, and in fact if I want to rent out rooms in my apartment using Airbnb while I am still living there, it is perfectly LEGAL in NY.

Is it possible some people may not like it? Yes, but frankly I don't give a d@mn. Not my problem what someone may or may not LIKE.
Not always is it legal. And if it is it usually is for a length of time. Not a new person coming in every 3 days.
I don't have as big of issue with people subletting a room out while the person who owns lives there.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:15 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Not always is it legal. And if it is it usually is for a length of time. Not a new person coming in every 3 days.
I don't have as big of issue with people subletting a room out while the person who owns lives there.
Yes it is LEGAL in NYS, per the law just passed short term AIRBNB rentals are LEGAL is the HOST is living there.

It doesn't really matter what you have an issue with, what matters is what the LAW says.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:49 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
It doesn't really matter what you have an issue with, what matters is what the LAW says.
The law is often wrong

Old 08-10-2016, 03:48 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
Yes it is LEGAL in NYS, per the law just passed short term AIRBNB rentals are LEGAL is the HOST is living there.

OK mR. know it all no reason to SCREAM like a little B*tch.
As you stated it is only legal if the Host is there. So not everyone can do Air bnb.
Many people who do it in NYC rent out their whole apartment and are not there.
If you are not there while your Air bnb guest is it is not legal.

Also some building State in their leases/contracts whether they can or can not rent out their apartment.
I lived in a building that the owners could not rent out their apartments without boards approval. So if you just start doing Air bnb without it it is not legal.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
The law is often wrong
Irrelevant. Provided a host is staying in the place where the Airbnb guest is staying, there are no civil or criminal penalties.

It does not matter whether you like it or not.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
OK mR. know it all no reason to SCREAM like a little B*tch.
As you stated it is only legal if the Host is there. So not everyone can do Air bnb.
Many people who do it in NYC rent out their whole apartment and are not there.
If you are not there while your Air bnb guest is it is not legal.

Also some building State in their leases/contracts whether they can or can not rent out their apartment.
I lived in a building that the owners could not rent out their apartments without boards approval. So if you just start doing Air bnb without it it is not legal.
As to how enforceable those provisions are, one would need to contact a landlord/tenant lawyer.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:45 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,263,152 times
I have had but the only best experiences doing Airbnb from a cute small cabin in Berkely bay area to riads in Morocco, why pay exurbiant hotel prices when you can have an authentic experience at much lower prices. I still think it is these hotel chains that loose and try to change laws and portray this negative images on Airbnb. I know people here that do Airbnb to save up for weddings, trips, baby funds because NY is so expensive, it's not like they are make a killing doing it either. Hosting and cleaning for Airbnb is still alot of work. Most guests tend to be couples on a budget because either they have traveled all over, want to have an authentic experience, or they are local but not close enough and want a short stay, or even may have an interview in the city. Sure you hear those horror stories (being exceptions not the rule which I am sure worst things happen also at hotels) but that's why the community has the review system of the host and the guests. The free markets are at play here and as an economics major I am all for it.

Last edited by Ruready4Bklyn; 08-11-2016 at 06:16 AM..

Old 08-11-2016, 08:33 AM

633 posts, read 581,912 times
In NYS not always legal in a single family home depending on who you rent to.

My area has a "grouper law". Home are zone single family occupancy. But you can have one roommate. My neighbor who has a two bedroom place, who is home when she rents, in her ad she rents her spare bedroom to mainly singles, sisters, brothers, married couples etc.

If two friends want to rent the two bed room it is illegal as well as an unmarried couple. Her neighbors are watching her as she tried to turn it into a rooming house illegally, by turning dining room into third bedroom and putting up locks. Town busted her. Now she is careful to follow roommate rule.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:50 AM

762 posts, read 611,114 times
It's interesting! You guys are very different from those on Tripadvisor. They kept calling me selfish and unethical if I were to get a place from Airbnb instead of paying for a hotel. I think Airbnb is a great idea and people can afford not to lose properties by offering them throughout the year to others. I believe in a free market as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: