Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 09:56 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Move to another city away from the coasts. I just bought a large 3 bedroom home in Pittsburgh in a good school district surrounded by parkland and deer for under 200K.
That's unrealistic if someone's job is *IN* NYC. And dor't say "just move" because not everyone wants to do that. The OP has a large enough budget to buy a house within metropolitan NY-- just not the specific areas he's complaining about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 07:36 PM

9 posts, read 8,344 times
Update everyone: Just got outbid on another house, the final price is about 40K higher than the asking.

Time to move on another home I guess. So many cash buyer these days, people are must been working so hard in the past few years, they really saved a lot of money.

will not give up and keep going with my house hunting.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:33 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huaren View Post
Update everyone: Just got outbid on another house, the final price is about 40K higher than the asking.

Time to move on another home I guess. So many cash buyer these days, people are must been working so hard in the past few years, they really saved a lot of money.

will not give up and keep going with my house hunting.
Keep buying that Made in China stuff and these chinese people have a ton of cash from running sweat shops for Tim Cook making iPhones.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:33 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
I would suggest you to think about Long Island because I heard from one of my colleague saying that school over there is way better. Also, price of house is cheaper compare to house within the five borough of NYC. Look for property in Hicksville or Levittown. You an look for house that's range 400k-500k with some nice house. Of course you have to pay higher property tax.
Yes, there was someone who posted in the LI forum about finding a home in north merrick well within the OP's stated price range. Some areas in the south shore still offer good value but buyers should beware of areas that have punitive flood insurance rates (maybe stick to houses north of sunrise highway).

Old 08-29-2016, 04:39 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huaren View Post
Hi Everyone, first time posting in this forum. I really need some advice on buying the 1st house. Me and my wife are in the process looking for our 1st house, but it appears we are running into some problems.

The house price is insane high, the rate it's going up is much faster than our salary or even our savings. It appears to us that we have to buy a house now, otherwise we will never be able to buy.

The areas we are looking are in Queens (bayside, fresh meadows, oakland gardens..) elementary and middle school is a very important fact to us.

But after looking for a while, most of house we looking at are really high for 3 bed room, the price is above: $850k, some are ven $900k, and for house price around: $800k or below the condition is really bad, we have to set another 100k for renovation.

Does anyone have any other good area to suggests? We prefer the budget between: $700k-$800K with good condition.

Is there any other area you recommend in queens area? It seems today's house price in NYC is insane. Is it really a bad time to buy?

Thank you again!
perhaps you are not ready to buy a house yet .alternatives are to use stepping stones if you really want those areas and start with a co-op. we are in bay terrace and while homes start around 700k and run in to millions a nice co-op 2 bedroom 2 bath can be had for 300k .

most things in life are going to be trade offs unless you are wealthy .

Old 08-29-2016, 04:41 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
The OP isn't listening to any of the suggestions or comments on this thread...

As numerous people have pointed out, the OPs budget is too low for the area they are considering. If you can't afford the home prices in that area, you need to look elsewhere. It's as simple as that! Instead of complaining, the OP should listen to suggestions about good/safe/etc areas that are in their price range.
Even back in 2006, one could hardly find a good home in queens that was within the OPs budget. One can keep trying to force the issue and get frustrated in the process. Or one can move on to other areas where the options are more abundant. If I were buying a house today at the OPs stated attributes I would not even consider anything in NYC.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Keep buying that Made in China stuff and these chinese people have a ton of cash from running sweat shops for Tim Cook making iPhones.
these sweat shop country's seem to have populations now doing well above the poverty levels they had with quality's of life never seen before .

in fact wages in china have escalated a lot . so much so that the company i worked for has been manufacturing elsewhere now as costs in china have reached the point there is only a 5% difference when all is said and done . wage inflation has been a big issue for china .

it is the rise in the standards of living in these emerging market country's that will take up the slack of the boomers as their buying tapers off .

Old 08-29-2016, 08:14 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
these sweat shop country's seem to have populations now doing well above the poverty levels they had with quality's of life never seen before .
my expat buddies said Beijing and Shanghi is unaffordable now! this is coming from people I knew who lived in NYC, Toronto, & Seattle....haha

Old 08-29-2016, 08:17 AM

could be , demand is high with all this new found money there .

Old 08-29-2016, 08:19 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
my expat buddies said Beijing and Shanghi is unaffordable now! this is coming from people I knew who lived in NYC, Toronto, & Seattle....haha
Not really unaffordable, a decent 3 bedroom apt is probably around 1-1.3 mil USD. A new luxury apt is probably hitting close to 2 mil. To expats that are there teaching English while trying to get some Asian punani yeah its unaffordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City