Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 06:50 AM

4 posts, read 6,237 times

Advertisements

Guys,
I have been researching a lot on the Bronx. I am now officially priced-out of Brooklyn and Queens, so thought perhaps now is the time to look into the Bronx. However, I have seen so much bad stuff about the Bronx online, which I cant believe is true anymore. I know a decade back it might have been bad but surely there are places that are good in 2016?

I was especially interested in the area around St.Mary's Park. I am still scared of the Melrose area but genuinely want to look into the South Bronx. What areas wold you recommend considering I have lived in Williamsburg, then Greenpoint then Astoria in the past few years.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 07:06 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,311,859 times
Are you really priced out of all of Brooklyn and Queens? Or just those three neighborhoods?

Old 05-19-2016, 07:07 AM

100 posts, read 195,417 times
i live in ridgewood and its affordable. we are trying to keep the hipsters out tho

Old 05-19-2016, 08:00 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,240,149 times
Why have you focused on the South Bronx? Is it a commute thing?

Old 05-19-2016, 08:31 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
I actually like that area, it's not exactly nice but the park is nice and it's close to Manhattan. There are some Mexican restaurants in the area that have really good reviews. Mott Haven seems to have a better vibe than other South Bronx neighborhoods like Longwood.

While I like the area, it will be nothing like any of the neighborhoods you mentioned. You definitely won't like it if you require living in a "polished" neighborhood.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:54 AM

41 posts, read 85,974 times
me personally i like the uptown area gun hill and up to like mount vernon i'm looking for somewhere up there. honestly i moved from webster avenue and it was the best thing ever. i currently live in brooklyn but looking for somewhere in the uptown bronx area. crime happens everywhere but not so much up there in my opinion when i was living up there on 233rd and when i lived in the gun hill area you never really heard too much crime, it was usually in edenwald. try up there, they have nice parks, and the people aren't like too loud and ghetto unless you're directly on the strip in the summer time theres alot of carribean music loud playing and a few guys who are loud but not really too bad compared to webster and around the area of st marys park but again thats just my opinion. When i used to visit my friends who lived in the st marys area , mott haven i really didn't wanna visit them because it was always loud and rowdy

Old 05-19-2016, 09:18 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,882,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee_Brunch View Post
Guys,
I have been researching a lot on the Bronx. I am now officially priced-out of Brooklyn and Queens, so thought perhaps now is the time to look into the Bronx. However, I have seen so much bad stuff about the Bronx online, which I cant believe is true anymore. I know a decade back it might have been bad but surely there are places that are good in 2016?

I was especially interested in the area around St.Mary's Park. I am still scared of the Melrose area but genuinely want to look into the South Bronx. What areas wold you recommend considering I have lived in Williamsburg, then Greenpoint then Astoria in the past few years.

Thanks
If you have lived in Williamsburg and Greenpoint, my suggestion is do not move to the South Bronx. Mott Haven and Melrose is a downgrade from those neighborhoods. I think you need to look somewhere else.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:28 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Are you really priced out of all of Brooklyn and Queens? Or just those three neighborhoods?

One of the few times that I'll agree with you about something. People are so f'n dramatic...

Old 05-19-2016, 10:04 AM

4 posts, read 6,237 times
Just to clarify, it is a commute thing and i am pretty much priced out of regions that are close to subway/restaurants etc.

Also, i was living in Williamsburg area BEFORE it became pricey. I am talking about early 2000 period in Williamsburg. At that time, the neighborhood was kinda in transition and not polished.

No joke, I was paying $500 for a single bedroom back then, and around $650 in 2009 in Greenpoint (though i always hated the G train).

Old 05-19-2016, 10:30 AM

353 posts, read 471,256 times
Don;t discount the east or northeast Bronx - there are some amazing and safe neighborhoods with little to no crime and all residential. Many of these homes have been converted to legal 2 families and rent out apartments for $1200-$1600/mo

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8590...7i13312!8i6656

For transportation you can move closer to the 5 Dyre Ave Line in these neighborhoods (pelham parkway or morris park stops)
Or you can take the express bus into manhattan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City