Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 05:38 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times

Advertisements

My super is a lazy, alcoholic, wife-batterer.
But when I complained to the landlord, I was told, "Well, is he any worse than any other New York City super?" (yes really)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 06:46 PM

57 posts, read 60,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
I love when OP's tell stories and they make themselves out to be saints. Obviously you did something wrong so you got the appropriate reaction. You're not the one who will be fined if things are done wrong.
I accidentally rated your post positively. My mistake.

No, I didn't do anything wrong hence my confusion and what prompted this post. If I had chucked a giant garbage bag into a recycling bin I'd totally own up to it and I'm the kind of person who, upon being confronted, would remove said garbage. But I literally put a few metal cat food tins in the recycling bin for CANS and a teeny tiny knotted up bag the size of my balled up fist into the GARBAGE. None of that warranted the tirade I got. I apologized and reassured him that it was in the appropriate spot and wouldn't happen again. If he doesn't want to exercise some civility or common sense that's his issue, not mine.

People seem to only be able to think in black and white, good or bad. Were those the right bins? No. Was it an accident? Yes. Did I put things in the appropriate spot? Yes. Okay, get over it and tend to real complaints that tenants have.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:01 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gushkaty View Post
I watched a friend's cat this weekend and on my way out of the apartment I threw away some metal cat food can and a tiny bag of garbage no bigger than my fist. I dumped recyclables with recyclables and garbage with garbage in what I thought were the bins that belonged to her apartment. Apparently not. The Super cam blazing around the corner almost as if he crouches behind the garbage bins with a hard on just waiting to bust someone for this .

He started screaming at me, "why you throw garbage here you no live here I am super you no throw garbage here!!!!" I apologized and explained that I didn't live in the neighborhood and thought those bins belonged to my friend's address. He kept screaming and hollering. Finally I just said, "look, it's not a big deal, I put recyclables in the appropriate spot, it won't happen again."

He kept screaming, you'd think I committed a federal offense.

Why the hell is this such a big deal? Especially with small amounts of garbage? I see some buildings go as far as putting locks or combinations on the bins. In a heavy traffic area I could understand why but is it such a big deal? Enlighten me, please.

Most all NYC apartment supers have a thing about non-residents putting stuff in "their" trash. The telling off you got was not uncommon nor unusual. Have seen supers take rubbish found in "their " trash and dump it in front of or in the lobby of the offender's building (if they can find out).

Yes, you were apparently putting each bit of rubbish where it should go; but many do not. Thus when DSNY come snooping (and they do) the property owner will get a ticket, which in turn prompts the super being told off by his boss.

There is also the fact many supers go to great pains to keep vermin out of their rubbish both before and on collection days. When people open bags and scatter contents, throw stuff on top of bags/bins or whatever it can create conditions that attract rodents. Besides the health risks that is something else a property owner can get a ticket over.

Walk around many areas of NYC and you'll see signs (mostly hand written) stating rubbish containers are for use of the building's resident's only.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:24 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
A few reasons. The landlords get fined from sanitation if the bins are not orderly or garbage is unorganized and the supers in turn catch hell from landlords for this. They also have to deal with the can/bottle collectors who make a mess of the garbage if it is not locked up.

exactly

Old 09-06-2016, 10:22 AM

139 posts, read 152,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Lol. My super is a real piece of work. Every time he "fixes" anything it ends up falling apart within a week and he always leaves a freakin mess.

Check out the "patch job" he did for us a few weeks ago. And I swear he stole my dish towel and shoved it up in the hole. LOL
Do you live in my building?

There was a leak in my bathroom after the super turned off the water - like usual with no notice - and someone above me had their sink on when the water stopped and they didn't turn it off, so the water overflowed when it came back on.

My super turned to me and said 'okay how we gonna fix this?'(he wasn't joking around) and I just looked at him and shrugged.

He also wanted to 'fix' some violations in my apt by painting the bathroom...

Old 09-06-2016, 12:19 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Lol. My super is a real piece of work. Every time he "fixes" anything it ends up falling apart within a week and he always leaves a freakin mess.

Check out the "patch job" he did for us a few weeks ago. And I swear he stole my dish towel and shoved it up in the hole. LOL

1. They think spackling is the same as plaster
2. Nobody explained thermal expansion to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City