Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 03:02 PM

11 posts, read 22,249 times

Advertisements

How much is a reasonable price to pay for a parking spot in a rental building? I ask because I put my name on the list for a space in the basement of my building years ago and got called for one today. My landlord asked for $200 a month which sounds a little pricey. Is it? I live in NE Bronx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 03:09 PM

555 posts, read 616,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible467 View Post
How much is a reasonable price to pay for a parking spot in a rental building? I ask because I put my name on the list for a space in the basement of my building years ago and got called for one today. My landlord asked for $200 a month which sounds a little pricey. Is it? I live in NE Bronx.
no set amount obviously but $200 for the BX does sound very high.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:12 PM

106,594 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
we pay 180 a month in queens . a lot of co-ops in the area get 8500.00 for them to buy

Old 09-06-2016, 03:21 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Quote:
Depends on other options in your immediate area. Any other garages close by? It might sound a bit high to you but if you don't take it someone else will for sure. I could get a commercial garage space in the Pelham Parkway area for a little less than $200 but it would be 3 or 4 blocks from my apartment.

I think getting into a space in a building where you live is meant to be a major convenience not a deal.
No reason why it should be any less than the going rate.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:23 PM

650 posts, read 2,517,109 times
You can try to see what similar spots in your area go for, for the convenience factor noted above it would be higher than a random garage.
However it is all about supply and demand, many buildings have waiting list. You say too much and the next person down the list would happily jump at it.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:30 PM

many building's like ours hiked up the garage spot prices by a lot because of the no rent increases voted in 2 years in a row . we went up 40 a month .

Old 09-06-2016, 06:03 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Depends on other options in your immediate area. Any other garages close by? It might sound a bit high to you but if you don't take it someone else will for sure. I could get a commercial garage space in the Pelham Parkway area for a little less than $200 but it would be 3 or 4 blocks from my apartment.

I think getting into a space in a building where you live is meant to be a major convenience not a deal.
No reason why it should be any less than the going rate.

Which is why all over Manhattan and elsewhere people are looking for other options besides their building's garage.

Know plenty of people even right on my street who park just that (on the street) rather than pay what their building wants for garage fees. In fact you can walk up and down Manhattan and find signs on/in many apartment buildings offering garage spots for rent.

Sadly the building boom in Manhattan has taken a huge toll on garages and parking lots (along with gas stations). Watching old episodes of Kojak am amazed at how many parking lots there once were all over Manhattan, in particular in Midtown and going south to lower Manhattan. IIRC the area along and even some of the old piers themselves once were parking lots.

Yes, as with many other amenities building owners are seeking to extract maximum value from residents.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:08 PM

bay terrace where we are is mostly high rise and developments .without a spot you can drive around all night . parking is tough . between hi rise bldgs and driveways in the front of houses it is pretty limited .

i can't imagine living here with a car and going through that daily . our parking is indoors too which is nice . saves a lot of wear and tear on the car as well as nooooooooooo snow shoveling out after the plows . getting in a nice warm car in the winter is a plus too

Old 09-06-2016, 06:11 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
bay terrace where we are is mostly high rise and developments .without a spot you can drive around all night . parking is tough . between hi rise bldgs and driveways in the front of houses it is pretty limited .

i can't imagine living here with a car and going through that daily .
Welcome to my world.

Things aren't that much better in much of Manhattan below 96th, east or west side.

Unless you are lucky yes, you'll often have to wait or drive around for a bit to find parking in my part of the UES. Especially if you want a spot that is good for next day's alternate side street cleaning.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:50 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,352,789 times
Quote:
In my building, only coop owners can go for spots and those are $150. When I see ads posted for random spaces in my neighborhood, it's $200-300. (Brooklyn.) Check around and see if it's the going rate. There are some places in my neighborhood, like around my parents' house, that I would gladly pay the $200.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: