Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2016, 10:11 PM

983 posts, read 931,684 times

Advertisements

I'm in a studio in manhattan (370 sqft) in a building put up about six years ago (I've been here about 16 months). My power bills are usually about 50-60$ in the winter and mild months and 70-80$ when it's hot. I never really thought about if this was normal until the last three months when my bills were all about 105$ and it got me thinking about it...

According to the landlord, "Heat and water are included; electricity, telephone, and cable service will be billed separately."

I'm not sure if "heat and water are included" means HOT WATER is included. I don't know how the building gets its hot water. I do know, however, that basically everything is electric. The A/C is electric, the stovetop burners are electric, there is no stove so I got a toaster oven (electric of course!), etc. I tend to cook a lot too. My research is computational chemistry so I am basically in my apartment on the computer all day, so I probably do use a lot of power.

One thing I've noticed that my bills (I don't even get the bills, the landlord just puts the power charge on my rent statement, I have to ask for the bills, and I only have one actual con-ed bill from when I asked the landlord for one) says my apartment is EL2 which is "small non-residential". I assume this is because the apartments are licensed, not leased (it's through CUNY, they do it this way so they can kick us out if we fail out of our academic programs, which is probably illegal for a regular lease; apart from this, it's basically a lease). Maybe the fact that is ISN'T a lease makes it technically non-residential or something? Does anyone else have a similar situation? I don't know what the other classifications are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City