Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 03:18 PM

712 posts, read 530,438 times

Advertisements

If you increase population and you don't increase highway capacity, what do you think the result will be? Common sense. Those highways have NOT been expanded since the 1950s when they were first built. There needs to be a concentration on major thoroughfares getting past nyc. Less concentration on getting into manhattan. They will always have traffic due to geography on an island with 15 million people. That's near impossible to get rid of traffic, but no excuse for the mess of roads in the outerbroughs. Van wyck, cross bronx ect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I've had bad experiences and some scary on BQE, LIE, and FDR, Hutch, Bruckner, etc etc. In my opinion they are all bad.
I agree they are all terrible, but they count the hours of congestion and the cross bronx is king

Old 10-03-2016, 03:21 PM

983 posts, read 932,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
The first part of that statement is correct, but nothing and I mean nothing compares to that cross bronx.
Try going from exit ~30 to the midtown tunnel on the L.I.E. at 930 AM

It may not be worse than the CBE, but it's certainly not better

Old 10-03-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I've had bad experiences and some scary on BQE, LIE, and FDR, Hutch, Bruckner, etc etc. In my opinion they are all bad.
The hutch, really?

That's always been my fail-proof escape route from the saw mill or bronx river parkway if they get too bad

Old 10-03-2016, 03:26 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
The hutch, really?

That's always been my fail-proof escape route from the saw mill or bronx river parkway if they get too bad
Yeah, i haven't been as lucky. Usually traffic or crazy drivers. Just last week a car almost blew up on the hutch while I was on...

You really have an easy time parking uptown? Are you using a lot of meter spaces? I find looking for a non-meter space can be very difficult at times in Hamilton Heights and WAshington Heights. I hate looking for parking. Another thing I don't particularly like about city driving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
The hutch, really?

The hutch is horrible in sections. Go on google maps and look right now. All red for miles. That's a parking lot. Even out of rush hour you get delays all the time

2,348 posts, read 1,904,014 times
Quote:
If you increase population and you don't increase highway capacity, what do you think the result will be? Common sense. Those highways have NOT been expanded since the 1950s when they were first built. There needs to be a concentration on major thoroughfares getting past nyc. Less concentration on getting into manhattan. They will always have traffic due to geography on an island with 15 million people. That's near impossible to get rid of traffic, but no excuse for the mess of roads in the outerbroughs. Van wyck, cross bronx ect.
Result will eventually be that people will stop moving to NYC if it gets bad enough.

Concentration should be on developing commercial zones outside of Manhattan so there are more jobs elsewhere. That means fewer commuters (and less congestion) into the city. More jobs in Jersey City and Hoboken means fewer people crossing the Hudson. More businesses in Brooklyn means that many fewer cars on the East River Crossings.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Yeah, i haven't been as lucky. Usually traffic or crazy drivers. Just last week a car almost blew up on the hutch while I was on...

You really have an easy time parking uptown? Are you using a lot of meter spaces? I find looking for a non-meter space can be very difficult at times in Hamilton Heights and WAshington Heights. I hate looking for parking. Another thing I don't particularly like about city driving...
Nothing is easy, but it's definitely easier than in midtown

specifically I am parking near my place on 118th between 3rd and lex, and the lab where I work at city college. It's relatively easy by my place, once you go on 118th past 3rd a bit onto 2nd or 1st I would almost always find something

Sometimes it's hard by city college, but if you go on St Nicholas Terrace I usually find something, probably because if you were going anywhere BESIDES CCNY, it would be a very inconvenient place to park

If that fails though it may get difficult, but rarely bad enough for it to eat up the amount of time I saved by not taking the bus.

I almost never park in meter spots, just on regular streets with alternate side.

I will admit that I maybe have a bit of an advantage because street cleaning STARTS at 11:30 am on my street and ends around the time I get to ccny on certain blocks, so I can often just pull up right when it ends.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
The hutch is horrible in sections. Go on google maps and look right now. All red for miles. That's a parking lot. Even out of rush hour you get delays all the time
Yeah, it looks bad at the moment. Maybe I've just been lucky. The hutch is too far east from where I am usually going so I only go on it if the highways more to the west are really messed up so I guess my experience would probably be different from other people's experience with it

Old 10-03-2016, 04:20 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
I hate that cross Bronx and gw bridge. I take it every two weeks and the stressful drive to New Jersey and back stinks. It is rare there is not an accident or some event killing traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City