Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,263 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I shall be moving to NYC in January, from London UK. Fortunately my employer shall cover my rent for 6 months (up to $5k/month). On top of that, I will be making $160k base.
Where is a decent spot for a 30yr bachelor with no baggage. I like to eat at a very nice place once a week, visit the theatre once every couple months, and hit a trendy club (hip hop/rnb) every other friday/saturday night.

Our office will be around 350 Park avenue, and I don't really want more than a 15min subway commute.

Where in Manhattan would you recommend?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 03:35 PM

782 posts, read 527,280 times
Downtown has the trendy restaurants and easy access to clubs and theatre. Look into the West Village, Soho, Chelsea, Gramercy.

Old 10-12-2016, 03:39 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like your office in is the east 50s, so you'll just walk over to the theater district after work.

Rather than recommending a specific neighborhood, I'd suggest that you start by getting a sublet for perhaps a month, to give you time to look around. It will also give you time to learn about all the different variations of rents - stabilized, non-stabilized, rental sublets, co-op sublets. Keep asking questions, and make sure you understand the ramifications of whatever you're choosing.

One basic Manhattan split is between west-side and east-side. I prefer east. East-side people think the west-side looks scruffy. West-side people think the east-side is too sterile. It's a totally personal preference. And then there's downtown.

Old 10-12-2016, 03:57 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Since you will be working near 350 Park, why not consider something that you could perhaps even walk to? I think East Midtown or Murray Hill may be a good fit. Lots of restaurants and bars in the 50's, particularly along 2nd and 3rd. A studio or a one bedroom would work well with your budget in a nice building. MC305 has good recommendations as well, but you would have to take the subway. I would imagine with such a salary that you would have demanding hours, so being able to walk home would be a good benefit.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:54 PM

295 posts, read 281,597 times
If you're into cycling or running or just like parks, if you get a place up in the 60s on the east side, say west of 3rd avenue, you'd be close to Central Park and within walking distance or short train or bus ride to work.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:42 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times
Midtown East up there I find actually has some pretty good prices as far as Manhattan rentals go. You could walk to work and have a bit of nightlife on 2nd and I think 1st aves. I'd travel around the city and see what kind of thing you're looking for in those 6 months, however.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:41 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
I would recommend Trollville

Old 10-13-2016, 09:28 AM

Midtown East is not bad at all and there's certainly something to be said for being able to walk to work. Just an fyi, the Murray Hill area (east 30s) tends to be younger and has a more frat-boy vibe. Some parts of the east 40s and 50s are congested because there are a lot of office buildings in the area. Restaurants are a mix, some expense-account places, some decent neighborhood places, depending on the location. I have friends who live in the area and we typically go downtown for nights out.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:36 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
Midtown East is not bad at all and there's certainly something to be said for being able to walk to work. Just an fyi, the Murray Hill area (east 30s) tends to be younger and has a more frat-boy vibe. Some parts of the east 40s and 50s are congested because there are a lot of office buildings in the area. Restaurants are a mix, some expense-account places, some decent neighborhood places, depending on the location. I have friends who live in the area and we typically go downtown for nights out.
Well I guess I know a little something after all, but yes you are right about the vibe and the types you see in Murray Hill.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Well I guess I know a little something after all, but yes you are right about the vibe and the types you see in Murray Hill.
Well, in regard to our UES conversation, I think Midtown East is sort of on par (and maybe slightly worse) grocery/restaurant-wise. Both areas are perfectly fine to live in with decent daily amenities. I've lived in both.

To the OP, Midtown East is if you want to be walking distance to work and travel a little bit for restaurants and nightlife. Downtown is if you don't mind a daily commute and want to live among great restaurants/nightlife. Different vibes and just personal preference. Rents are probably higher downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City