Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2017, 12:43 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,999,286 times

Advertisements

For a train that makes so few stops, why is the "Q" always held up by "dispatcher" or "signal" issues. I swear it happened yet again around 1PM coming uptown from 34th Street. We sat and sat at 72nd for several minutes.

Another thing it seems as the homeless have wasted no time finding the line. Have already counted several on various occasions camped/sacked out.

Meanwhile am seeing people know live near Lexington walking over to Second to get on at 86th (the 83rd entrance), most are going to the West Side and get off at 33rd or Union Square.

Finally thought this line was getting all new trains. Most of the time have gotten on the same dirty old "Brighton Line" trains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 01:19 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,725,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
For a train that makes so few stops, why is the "Q" always held up by "dispatcher" or "signal" issues. I swear it happened yet again around 1PM coming uptown from 34th Street. We sat and sat at 72nd for several minutes.

Another thing it seems as the homeless have wasted no time finding the line. Have already counted several on various occasions camped/sacked out.

Meanwhile am seeing people know live near Lexington walking over to Second to get on at 86th (the 83rd entrance), most are going to the West Side and get off at 33rd or Union Square.

Finally thought this line was getting all new trains. Most of the time have gotten on the same dirty old "Brighton Line" trains.
I had a whole thread about this recently. For some reason people saw fit to argue with me about the reality that the Q isn't really an express train because the locals take priority at 34th

Old 01-13-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I had a whole thread about this recently. For some reason people saw fit to argue with me about the reality that the Q isn't really an express train because the locals take priority at 34th

Now that you mention it there always seems to be a Q train "waiting" at 33rd/34th street. Always though it was just my good luck. *LOL*

Old 01-13-2017, 01:24 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:

The Brighton line uses the r160 order that came in 2008-2010. That's hardly old.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The Brighton line uses the r160 order that came in 2008-2010. That's hardly old.

They still look more busted up than stay the IRT trains.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:28 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
They still look more busted up than stay the IRT trains.
The MTA decided the next order of trains, the 179, is going to the A, C, J, and M trains and will retire all the remiaing r42 trains and many of the r32 trains.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:28 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
I remember reading something about stopping at the 49th street station and switching. Is that part of that thread? Can you remind me again of how the Q is misrun?

Old 01-13-2017, 02:48 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,725,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I remember reading something about stopping at the 49th street station and switching. Is that part of that thread? Can you remind me again of how the Q is misrun?
Someone was saying that there's so much demand at 49 that they needed the Q to stop there too. But that still didn't make any sense to me because even if you make the Q stop at 49, why would you park it at 34 to let the R and N cut in front if it's supposed to be an express? By definition it's no longer express because of that

But then someone else mentioned that after the SAS opened the new W would pick up the slack and the Q would finally bypass 49 on the way to 57 and the tunnel to 63

So if it's still stalling at 34 I really don't know what to tell you

Old 01-13-2017, 03:46 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,854 times
Quote:
If you sat at 72nd Street, maybe there were already trains at 96th St and 86th St that haven't turned around to go back downtown yet. Just a pure guess though.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:48 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,854 times
Quote:
Someone was saying that there's so much demand at 49 that they needed the Q to stop there too. But that still didn't make any sense to me because even if you make the Q stop at 49, why would you park it at 34 to let the R and N cut in front if it's supposed to be an express? By definition it's no longer express because of that

But then someone else mentioned that after the SAS opened the new W would pick up the slack and the Q would finally bypass 49 on the way to 57 and the tunnel to 63

So if it's still stalling at 34 I really don't know what to tell you
Maybe it's a timing point where they hold the train until the scheduled departure time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City