Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 03:04 PM

694 posts, read 1,203,450 times

Advertisements

You know, in the country I was born, there was a sign in front of every elevator " Before entering, please check to make sure the elevator is there" People used to laugh thinking this was one of those dumb blonde jokes. Probably saved a few lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 02:56 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Beth View Post
It's perverse to blame the mother for this.
Funny, for major tragedies, the first thing is to try to pinpoint the cause, to prevent more of the same. Yet for personal carelessness, you think we shouldn't care? If it can be traced to something on her part - focus on her smartphone, wearing sunglasses that were too dark - don't you feel it should be known, to warn others?

Nothing "perverse" about it. It was originally just an idle thought on my part.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:46 AM

431 posts, read 659,793 times
Horrific. There are no words. SMH.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:21 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Funny, for major tragedies, the first thing is to try to pinpoint the cause, to prevent more of the same. Yet for personal carelessness, you think we shouldn't care? If it can be traced to something on her part - focus on her smartphone, wearing sunglasses that were too dark - don't you feel it should be known, to warn others?

Nothing "perverse" about it. It was originally just an idle thought on my part.
Reminds me of the train "accident" at Valhalla recently. You know, the one where the woman tried to rush the tracks to get to her hair appointment and the barrier lowered onto her car with the front grill just short of the tracks. She got out of her car, and despite the man yelling on the other side to not move the car and just walk away, she proceeds to dislodge the barrier and drive onto the path of a moving train where she was crushed to death along with a train car full of impaled passengers.

That of course was the "MTA's fault" according to the husband who decided he needed to sue everybody else except his idiot of a dead wife

Old 10-20-2016, 12:50 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Reminds me of the train "accident" at Valhalla recently. You know, the one where the woman tried to rush the tracks to get to her hair appointment and the barrier lowered onto her car with the front grill just short of the tracks. She got out of her car, and despite the man yelling on the other side to not move the car and just walk away, she proceeds to dislodge the barrier and drive onto the path of a moving train where she was crushed to death along with a train car full of impaled passengers.

That of course was the "MTA's fault" according to the husband who decided he needed to sue everybody else except his idiot of a dead wife
Omigod, I hadn't heard about that. How awful. I guess it's an extreme case of misplaced priorities

Old 10-20-2016, 01:19 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Omigod, I hadn't heard about that. How awful. I guess it's an extreme case of misplaced priorities
I just read about it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valhalla_train_crash

Old 10-20-2016, 06:50 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
She doesn't have to be an idiot at all. As the parent of an infant myself, she's likely running on next to no sleep. Further, a person's behavior is reinforced by the fact that every single elevator they have ever operated in their life has operated the same way; all she has to do is nudge the stroller froward an in or so as the doors open, enough for the front wheel to go over the gap, and rest will follow immediately.
I wouldn't go so far as calling her an idiot. It's an awful thing to have happened but...as soon as the doors open (no matter how much a rush I'm in or preoccupied) I always step aside so as to allow others the chance to get off (ditto a subway car). Saving yourself the embarrassment of barreling straight into someone & then having to stammer an apology.

How can you so confidently step onto an elevator the minute the door opens & act like you're the only one using it. If I needed to get off, I'd be kind of pissed if someone totally blocked the entrance way with a baby stroller as if he/she's the only one that matters in the whole world.

Unless...she did step aside, realized no one else was coming out and then stepped in without looking. I can see that happening.

Last edited by Aeran; 10-20-2016 at 07:09 PM..

Old 10-20-2016, 06:58 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Why? Am I the only person who doesn't blindly run onto an elevator? I look in before I get on and I look out before I get off of it. I also like to give people the chance to vacate the elevator if they need to do so.

It's kind of like being a pedestrian---I look before I cross the street, whether it's my light or not. And the same goes for driving---I might have a green light, but I am still responsible for braking when the moron is crossing against the light with his eyes glued to the phone.
Exactly. I do this automatically no matter how much of a rush I'm in or how busy I am looking down at my cell phone. Simply because I expect other people to be in the elevator wanting to get off & I don't want to run smack dab into them. Do you know how hostile people are noways? The last thing I need is to be a victim of elevator rage. I guess being a life time subway rider trained me into always stepping aside before getting on anything (subway, elevator, etc). Stepping aside also gives you a chance to look down to see there's an actual elevator car there. You don't have to be the politest, most observant person in the world to do this automatically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City