Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 05:27 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
Aah, but it's not like they're all recent immigrants. Something like 3/4 of Arab Americans are descendents of immigrants from the 19th and early 20th century. Bay Ridge had a large Lebanese Christian population a century ago. The first Lebanese American settled there in the 1840s/50s. They were harder to recognize as Arab because most Americans associate Arab with Muslim. Some of those early immigrants have intermarried with the Irish and Italians in Bay Ridge, most have long moved out of the city and have been replaced by newer, Muslim immigrants from different countries.

Sure, but there are also a lot of newer, Muslim immigrants from different countries in addition to Lebanese Maronites from years past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 05:46 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
can you explain to me how a 15 mile distance equates to over an extra hour of travel? sounds odd....

Because part of my trip I take a diesel train, plus I have to make a transfer in Jamaica.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:36 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Because part of my trip I take a diesel train, plus I have to make a transfer in Jamaica.
ok i gotcha....just seemed odd. thanks for the clear-up.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-26-2008, 11:23 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
I'm kind of 50-50 on considering Yemeni's white.

In Clifton/South Paterson its different because even though the Arabs/Turks moving in are Muslim they still look really white because most of them still come from Syria, Palestine, and Turkey.

In Bay Ridge I think most of the Arabs are from countries like Yemen where the population is a little bit more mixed, and most people from there have darker features than Mediterranean Arabs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
Immigration because people suggest most Arabs are recent immigrants, when in reality they're not.

Them being White because Mead says "white people (Irish/Italian) moving out and more Arabs and Hispanics moving in." Instead of saying White people moving out, it'd be more appropriate to say Irish/Italians moving out.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:35 PM

564 posts, read 1,727,044 times
Quote:
In Bay Ridge I think most of the Arabs are from countries like Yemen where the population is a little bit more mixed, and most people from there have darker features than Mediterranean Arabs.
Most Arabs in Bay Ridge are Lebanese, but I've seen a trend of a lot of them moving out and being replaced by these newer immigrants from the Gulf and North Africa. Lebanese people still form the plurality among Arabs in Bay Ridge, though.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:11 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
Long Island is expensive, especially the North Shore. Places like Massapequa are reasonable but that is very far. Dont even think about Westchester County.

Jersey has the highest tax RATE, but the house prices are significantly lower, so the tax usually comes out to less than that of LI. A 400k house in Clifton with a nice little yard can cost an easy 600-700k in much of Queens and LI. Queens will have low tax but the trick is affording a house. You have to go out to Eastern Queens and that is a long commute to Manhattan. The Bronx and Brooklyn are overpriced in hip areas and pretty expensive in the hood too.

Edgewater is very nice, and getting expensive but still has affordable places. This is very Manhattan like as a few entertainers and Yankees players live there, and the ferry is RIGHT there. Cliffside Park is right next to Edgewater and basically sits above Edgewater on the Palisades. You walk to the edge of the street and can see all of Manhattan from high up. Its a very nice town too. HOUSES (not condos) can be had in the 300s. West New York and Fort Lee might be decent too, but I dont know much about these.

You also mentioned schools. Rutgers is affordable and blows away NY schools with the exception of NYU and Columbia, but those are extremely pricey.

Word of advice: Save your money to be able to afford to really enjoy the city in your spare time, instead of getting caught up in overpaying for some hip neighborhood. People give bad advice on here because they want to get wealthier, white outsider types to fill in their sketchy Brooklyn or Queens neighborhood. As someone who lives in NY to be with family, I am giving you the most reasonable area (price and safety wise) to be close to Manhattan, period.

You were mentioning buying houses in these areas, but what about rent? Do they follow the same basic guidelines as owning?

Old 02-27-2008, 06:15 PM

Does anyone have info on West New York or Bayonne? I heard someone say Bayonne was a nice neighborhood but is a tight community that is not quick to open up to outsiders, is this true?

Old 02-27-2008, 08:57 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Does anyone have info on West New York or Bayonne? I heard someone say Bayonne was a nice neighborhood but is a tight community that is not quick to open up to outsiders, is this true?
Both have light-rail. West NY is 80% hispanic and Bayonne is 80% white. I'd choose West NY because of the low taxes at Bergenline- major shopping strip.

Why don't you look into Hoboken or Jersey City

Old 02-27-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
Both have light-rail. West NY is 80% hispanic and Bayonne is 80% white. I'd choose West NY because of the low taxes at Bergenline- major shopping strip.

Why don't you look into Hoboken or Jersey City

Someone told me those two cities aren't good for families and I will have two kids. I like how Hoboken looked but I need a community that is good or at least okay for kids. And I also heard Hoboken is extremely expensive and JC had crime issues. Is that right?

Old 02-27-2008, 11:01 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Someone told me those two cities aren't good for families and I will have two kids. I like how Hoboken looked but I need a community that is good or at least okay for kids. And I also heard Hoboken is extremely expensive and JC had crime issues. Is that right?
West NY & Bayonne have their own crime issues. If you have kids, Bergen County & Middlesex County, NJ are very good areas. What's wrong with NYC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City