Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 10:13 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,842,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meli722 View Post
Ive been through and approved for the low income apt and they will ask about the deposits that have a name attached to it. Like so and so deposit this amount on this date. They will question why this person is giving you money. If it just says deposit they will not ask, because that can be you depositing the money
Interesting, I would think they would ask about deposits with no name attached, because that could be cash deposits which can be very shady. I guess it varies from property to property.

Anyway, does anyone know if they ask for credit card statements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 12:02 PM

What I don't understand is how the people who run these things find out about people's assets. Obviously people will try to hide their assets in bank accounts that aren't reported. Or just cash under the mattress.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:23 PM

377 posts, read 509,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiivile View Post
Interesting, I would think they would ask about deposits with no name attached, because that could be cash deposits which can be very shady. I guess it varies from property to property.

Anyway, does anyone know if they ask for credit card statements?
Usually, all deposits that are not directly tied to income from employment, pension, disability, or SSA retirement will be questioned and you will be asked for an explanation for such deposits.

Credit card statements are not required.

Old 12-26-2016, 01:29 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,462,693 times
And as I might have said before, assets and income from them are on your taxes -- your bank and brokerage sends these these statements to the IRS, so if you don't report them, you'll have some bigger problems later. Unreported income is biggest red flag for an audit.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:06 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiivile View Post
What I don't understand is how the people who run these things find out about people's assets. Obviously people will try to hide their assets in bank accounts that aren't reported. Or just cash under the mattress.
You can't hide money in "bank accounts that aren't reported ". Every bank account has a social security account number attached to it...and it takes them a fraction of a second pull up a list of all bank accounts anywhere in the country attached to any social security number.

Old 12-26-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
You can't hide money in "bank accounts that aren't reported ". Every bank account has a social security account number attached to it...and it takes them a fraction of a second pull up a list of all bank accounts anywhere in the country attached to any social security number.
I'm not sure... bank accounts aren't reported to the credit bureaus, and they aren't reported to the IRS unless they are earning a certain amount of interest/dividends... not sure how they would find this out.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:49 PM

Checking accounts that pay no interest, or pay minuscule interest, are not reported. So yes, I guess you could hide money in a secondary checking account that you don't mention, although hiding assets to get an apt one wouldn't otherwise qualify for would be morally reprehensible, and might keep one awake at night.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:22 PM

In "not reported" I meant they're not on your taxes.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:21 PM

Do marketing agents ever question withdrawals you have made from your bank accounts?

Old 03-27-2017, 06:26 PM

No, and they don't pay much attention to what you spend your money on either. That's not what they care about. Have a lot of charges at the wine store? They don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City