Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 08:32 AM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hays0023 View Post
I am getting ready to move to Brooklyn for a job at Lutheran Hospital and was going to try and live closer to the hospital in Sunset Park. OP is it that bad? Other thoughts that I have had were Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, or bite the bullet and commute from Williamsburg.

Does anyone have thoughts on a bit longer of a commute to Lutheran for improved quality of life?
Your experience will vary greatly depending on your personal situation. For the OP, one of his main issues was how inconvenient the R train was for him and a bad commute is going to be a strong factor on quality of life irrespective of what neighborhood you're in and will color any other factors in consideration. The OP was also living off the R (a local train service, so more stops and a longer ride) with a long commute to Midtown hitting peak rush hours in the peak direction while crushed into a crowded traincar. However, for you, your workplace is going to be in Sunset Park and being able to easily walk or bike to work will dramatically improve your quality of life.

Sunset Park is a good neighborhood in terms of my preferences and neighborhoods shifts quickly, and I have no idea when the OP lived there. Things like noise from neighbors is going to vary greatly from place to place within any neighborhood. Also, in a walking city, Sunset Park is pretty large so can vary greatly. It's not a hip neighborhood, but it can be pretty nice. Here are some of the potential plus sides for you, especially the first two:

- Spend very little time or money commuting from work which is fantastic.
- Cheap rent compared to any of the other neighborhoods you've listed, so you can either have more money to save or spend or you can splurge on a bigger place

- Really accessible to a very diverse selection of restaurants and shops, and among the most diverse grocery/produce selection in the city (Sunset Park has a really interesting mix of Mexican, Chinese, and a bit of Bengali residents along with people who moved down from Park Slope and the like)
- A very safe neighborhood overall
- Sunset Park has a large and interesting namesake park by itself where people watching is great, and it has a spectacular view of the city and the harbor
- There's a bowling alley. That's fun.
- Green-Wood Cemetery is close by and it is a great quiet place to wander around as a sort of greenspace or monument and also hosts a lot of odd events
- Industry City attracts a lot of people doing creative or crafts-oriented things, the various businesses and organizations there also often have pretty good parties and events; this likely wasn't there when the OP was living in Sunset Park.

For the latter two, I highly recommend getting on both mailing lists for events for both of them if you live in Sunset Park or Greenwood Heights. I think Sunset Park (the park) itself hosts some events, but I reckon they're probably a lot more family-oriented rather than young singles.

Cons:
- A longer trip to some of the hipper neighborhoods, but can be mitigated a bit if you live near the 36th street station (that has three train lines, two with express service)
- Nightlife isn't amazing
- More expensive cab fare from the more burgeoning nightlife areas (a cost that is easily offset by your cheaper rent and possibly not having to pay much of anything for your daily commute)
- The litter issue is real in parts of the neighborhood. It's not like you're wading through piles of it, but it can definitely use some improvement. The city could do better in having more trashcans and a more frequent pickup schedule for such a dense neighborhood and a more active public awareness campaign in the neighborhood. It's something that applies to all the less ritzy, dense parts of the city

I think you should give Sunset Park, and the Greenwood Heights neighborhood just north of it, a visit and hit some of the highlights and walk around a bit.

However, if you end up in Williamsburg, try to live off the J train stops (note, this pretty much means living near the Marcy J station because the J does peak direction express so if you lived off some of the other stops along the Williamsburg J train, you'll have to transfer from the M to the J during your commute. The next J train stop out is the Myrtle-Broadway stop in Bushwick which will add several minutes more to your commute each way, but will be cheaper). This means transferring at Canal St in Manhattan to the N or R and the J will be pretty crowded on the way into Manhattan. Park Slope would also be an option, and while it's a nice neighborhood and your commute won't be terrible, the neighborhood is fairly expensive and very family-oriented. Brooklyn Heights will be similar, but a bit longer of a commute.

Overall though, living within walking distance to both your workplace and the 36th St station seems like the best bet.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 12-01-2016 at 09:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 09:57 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I remember reading a while back about how people in the South Bronx don't have access to fresh fruits and vegetables - only the frozen types from the supermarkets.
Yay there is absolutely no fresh veggies and fruit in the whole south bronx. If you want an apple you have to buy apple juice.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:10 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Yay there is absolutely no fresh veggies and fruit in the whole south bronx. If you want an apple you have to buy apple juice.
I don't understand the sarcasm. Overall the South Bronx is still extremely poor and the residents lack simple amenities that many of us take for granted.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:38 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Im a happy camper living in Bath Beach. I work in Sunset park, 15 minute drive and can take the train as well.
I like my hood, but it isnt as clean as it used to be, so thats a little disturbing. A lot of Chinese are moving in, but that doesnt bother me for the most part they are nice people.

I can get anywhere really fast by car. We dont go to the city mych soi i dont care about that, but i do have the 'D" train at the corner for when we need it. Stores all over as well, plus the bike path.

So I think i have a good quality of life here, I basically have everything at my fingertips in a decent affordable neighborhood.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:25 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,775,302 times
Only you control your quality of life as long as you're a 30-50min subway ride away you can go to any area to experience and see things, bring back any form of grocery, etc.

I dont get people who need to have "everything" right outside there door step in the area.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:47 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Only you control your quality of life as long as you're a 30-50min subway ride away you can go to any area to experience and see things, bring back any form of grocery, etc.

I dont get people who need to have "everything" right outside there door step in the area.
I don't get it either bro....I think I would choke myself if I lived in Manhattan, and now you can even add parts of Brooklyn to that....although I'm now (it wasnt there when i first moved) a 10 minute walk away from a really good sit-down Thai restaurant, now I'm kinda torn

PS: Me and the old lady this summer, for the first time, chose to go bar-hopping around our way rather than go to Brooklyn or the city.....umm maybe I do like everything close by now? I'm getting old :-/

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-01-2016, 06:58 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,899 times
Scary thought of NYC turning into a Florida 2.0 for rich old people. Nothing against old people (i'm old myself), but ugh the thought of old couples moving to NYC to live out their twilight years is TERRIFYING. Not so much a financial issue (clearly these turd birds have the money) but the social and cultural aspect of it would be devastating. Instead of nail salons and check cashing places are we going to have bingo parlors and joint replacement clinics? screw that, sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to me, all brought upon by the same baby boomer turd burglars who moved out, got theirs, and now want to come back and ruin it for everyone else.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:13 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I don't understand the sarcasm. Overall the South Bronx is still extremely poor and the residents lack simple amenities that many of us take for granted.
Silverbullnyc said it best. However there are many places to buy fresh food in the Bronx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post

Funny enough I have more fresh food places available walking distance living in the south Bronx than several apts I had in Manhattan. People just love to talk smack about the Bronx.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:59 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hays0023 View Post
I am getting ready to move to Brooklyn for a job at Lutheran Hospital and was going to try and live closer to the hospital in Sunset Park. OP is it that bad? Other thoughts that I have had were Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, or bite the bullet and commute from Williamsburg.

Does anyone have thoughts on a bit longer of a commute to Lutheran for improved quality of life?

If you want to live near work, live in Bay Ridge. If you're working days, you could walk to Lutheran Hospital. When I used to work at the Army Terminal, which is right across from Lutheran, I'd do the fifteen minute walk from my apartment. It's pretty doable if you live between Colonial to 3rd Avenues, from Wakeman to 75th. It really depends on how much of a walker you are and if you care about that.

When you're not working, you have plenty of parks/bars/restaurants.

I'd suggest checking all of these neighborhoods out ahead of time.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:09 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
yes. the better the neighborhood, the better quality of life. goes without saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City