Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 04:55 AM

22 posts, read 43,131 times

Advertisements

Observations about the oppressive nature of governmental restrictions and various codes/official guidelines throughout the state seem to be an increasing part of the discussion of rural and small town Oregon. I would like to know how tangible is the impact of such control upon the quality of life and sense of freedom these days, especially in eastern Oregon. My impression is that the flavor of daily living in many places is being darkly compromised by this trend. Though my dominant interest is in the east, I would appreciate hearing responses from any part of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 09:40 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
"Oppressive nature of governmental restrictions"? Stop reading the Bundy blog and Infowars, for a start.

There are several "Eastern Oregon"s. Depending on who you are and where you live, the main issues are water rights (a long and ugly issue in the west, where we are still using "prior appropriation" laws litigated in the 1850s), BLM grazing leases and recreation use. There are those who feel that "property rights" allow you to do anything you want but the state of Oregon has oversight on water use and septic issues as a public health issue and the BLM has the ability to control grazing on federal land. The state of Oregon also has building codes that are applied throughout the state.

For the least amount of oversight, go to Alaska back country.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:43 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
The only place I really get angry about governmental restrictions is when the laws I have to comply with don't apply inside city limits. Cities get to dump their sewage into rivers, but if I did the same it would be a federal case. Portland dumps untreated human sewage in the Willamette every time there is a heavy rain, but dairies are hit with monumental fines no matter how extreme the weather event is.

I have to maintain a 100' riparian zone along the creek, but cities pave right up to the creek bank, and in many cases just put the creek in a culvert and pave right over it. Freeways run right along rivers, where the state just collects storm water with all it's grease and filth and dumps it right into the rivers.

What we should do is declare Forest Park a national monument by fiat, not giving locals anything to say about it, close all the roads that run through Forest Park, and make it illegal for people to walk their dogs there. Then they might start to get a sense of how angry rural people are about government intrusion.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:04 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The only place I really get angry about governmental restrictions is when the laws I have to comply with don't apply inside city limits. Cities get to dump their sewage into rivers, but if I did the same it would be a federal case. Portland dumps untreated human sewage in the Willamette every time there is a heavy rain, but dairies are hit with monumental fines no matter how extreme the weather event is.
What I find disturbing is our elected officials and urban folks just don't get it.

Way back in the 1990's I was in Portland on a business trip and caught the noon news as I was packing to leave.

The first news items was the Portland City Council wanted to stop all logging in the Bull Run Watershed which is Federal land managed by the Forest Service. The city of Portland used its political muscle to close the watershed to public use (it is still closed today). Then mechanized logging was banned and only horse logging was allowed and the HORSES HAD TO WEAR DIAPERS at the cities request. The news item was that Portland wanted all logging stopped even if the horse wore diapers!! It was a very important human health issue according to the City Council.

The VERY next news item was that the city of Portland was going to petition the EPA to continue dumping raw human sewage into the Willamette River. The City Council claimed they couldn't afford to treat their sewage so it was NOT get into the river. So they wanted an exemption from Federal clean water requirements.

The news anchor, the City Council and I suspect most viewers did not catch that the city of Portland could give a rip about the environment. All they cared about was if the sewage was upstream or downstream of Portland.

No comment on air by the news anchor or the city council on the contradiction.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:56 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
Well it just tells you that Bull Run is the city's drinking fountain, and the river is it's toilet.

What gives me concern is all those nice friendly eco booster type people that think the Willamette is a nice clean river to swim in.

I just saw an news story where the summer downtown river swims are starting.

Even though the Willamette is a heck of a lot cleaner now than what it was thirty-forty years ago, I still wouldn't eat a resident Willamette fish or willfully swim in that water, let alone allow it to enter any orifice of my body.

I remember reading a newspaper story about a pro bass fisherman that years ago got one of those underwater cameras to locate fish structure.
He said you would not believe what's at the bottom of the river.
Stuff like old cars, piles of 55 gallon drums, all kinds of mysterious stuff just waiting to be stirred up down there.
The Ross Island lagoon is filled with toxic waste.
Who knows what got dumped in that river decades ago that is now starting to degrade and pollute.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:24 PM

PNW-type-gal---I follow neither of your assumed sources. Indeed, this forum has been the primary informant of the stated impression.

Alaska is certainly a unique, no-holds-barred theatre of freedom, but is not as well suited to my ultimate purposes as the less-entangling states of the lower 48. There is also a very meaningful arena of options in Missouri and other parts of the Midwest and South, as well as Idaho and Montana. There are indeed multiple eastern Oregons, and the Blue Mountains will continue to be a possibly practical and poetic-romantic option for me. Thank you for your response.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:28 PM

Larry Caldwell--- I easily empathize. Such arrangements strongly impact the ultimate *flavor of place* as well as the ramifications of daily life under their effect.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:03 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
A few small thoughts...

It's galling that Portland fully dictates to E. Oregon how they live. They have no concept of how with our traditional values and a stronger work ethic live. I have often wished we could separate the state into districts and issues are decided that way.

When I lived in K. Falls after Portland voted about trapping and hunting with dogs... and it didn't mean a thing. Thank god E. Oregon lives by the 3 S's- shoot, shovel, shut-up

Lastly, with the rise in minimum wage, I have hopes counties and/or cities will be able to override this. Most areas of E. Oregon do not need a min wage over $10/hr.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:11 AM

Thanks for these observations, BLAZER PROPHET.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
How affected is the quality/atmosphere of life in rural Oregon by those restrictions and tax laws?

All depends on which end of the food chain you are.... If you are a wage earner....or retired, little impact, some positive affect.

If an employer / job creator.... Every month you are more burdened, untill you finally have to leave your clients, livelihood, infrastructure, reputation, friends & family and move to a state that allows you to have a business. ( or get out of business). The choice becomes painfully clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon