Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 07:24 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times

Advertisements

Many many years ago My eventual wife was a Bellevue nursing Student. And I still remember almost 60 years later walking out from Bellevue in more than a foot of snow. First Avenue, Second Avenue all the way up until Subway access was possible.

Really weird. Not a taxi or a Bus...just huge expanses of pristine white...with the glowing pools of light under the street lights accented by the colors of the traffic lights at intersections.

Actually enjoyed the hike to the subway. And remember how neat it was to see that hell hole in its white glory...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 07:28 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
OH yeah, it can be totally beautiful. Maybe that's why I dislike it so much. It's beautiful for like one minute and then it's ugly forever until it's flushed down the sewers like a ninja turtle.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:28 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I like it's public beaches Other than!? eh.
Never been. Doesn't interest me. Have fun.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:30 PM

15,855 posts, read 14,479,382 times
WhIle it's snowing it's very pretty. As soon as stops it goes to messy grey slush, and the dogsecond start pissing on it.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
WhIle it's snowing it's very pretty. As soon as stops it goes to messy grey slush, and the dogsecond start pissing on it.
You should try a few years in Rochester. We would stay home all winter and go south or Hawaii in the spring. We had the black snow for a couple of months...and then rain on it. One easter week went to an event on a beautiful day in the mid 70s. Came out 2 hours later to a 20 degree snow storm...had trouble getting home.

NYC in a lot of ways was similar. If it stayed cold not bad. But if it warmed up.. ich...

One morning on Bailey Ave in the Bronx got up around dawn to take the wife to work...came down to find Bailey Ave a sheet of black ice. And no one could figure out what to do. The cops were up at the next block and would wave slow down to everyone..but it would be too late. Two smashed patrol cars...and a brilliant driver who slide his uncontrollable vehicle sidewise into a parking spot. But the peak was this poor guy in a milk truck going about 10 mph...but his center of gravity prevailed and we got a couple of inches of milk on top of the ice. He almost made it and that is what got him. He hit the unfrozen pavement side ways and went right over.

Ahh NYC in the cold and snow...remember it well...

Old 01-07-2017, 07:52 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiivile View Post
for about 2 hours. then it's disgusting.
Bingo! The problem with NYC snow is that it doesn't stay all pretty and nice. It turns black, brown and yellow (I won't go into details as to why but you can guess). And eventually congregrates into one huge puddle of a mess at the street corners where you're forced to jump and hopefully get to the other side without landing on your butt or banging into someone else attempting the exact same feat.

Last edited by Aeran; 01-07-2017 at 08:20 PM..

Old 01-07-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Lol @ the "well, MOVE" comment already hahahah

Can we not hate something in this city and complain about it before we are told to pack up and leave!? To where!? Miami!? Send me a ticket, please! But until then I will constantly gripe about how gross snow is, especially here. But honestly snow is gross EVERYWHERE!!!!

Boogey, yeah it's not very salty on the roads. I just had to take two dogs out to walk though and grrr I get mad at people who don't shovel but instead throw mounds of salt on the street... it sucks for dogs, it burns their paddies and I had bringing them back in limping. I LOVE the rain in the winter, but snow, unless it's during the holidays is just vile. And people love to STOMP in their boots in slush puddles, not giving a crap who they splash. this is especially the case with the children of the privileged and they do nothing about it :/ Summer can't get here sooooon enough!!!!! I miss Coney Island!
There are dog booties for that. Course I haven't seen any dogs except little poodles and pomeranians wear those.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:01 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Quote:
than when it snows in NYC.

nothing. i can't think of a single thing.
Ever see a vagarant woman diarrhea on a station platform in Boston.

I'd say a tad worse.

//www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...-platform.html

Old 01-07-2017, 08:06 PM

Or even the standard street in Rochester, Syracuse or Buffalo as you get into April. The black snow is a way of life. You guys put up with it for a couple of days. They do it for a couple of months.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Many many years ago My eventual wife was a Bellevue nursing Student. And I still remember almost 60 years later walking out from Bellevue in more than a foot of snow. First Avenue, Second Avenue all the way up until Subway access was possible.

Really weird. Not a taxi or a Bus...just huge expanses of pristine white...with the glowing pools of light under the street lights accented by the colors of the traffic lights at intersections.

Actually enjoyed the hike to the subway. And remember how neat it was to see that hell hole in its white glory...
I like that visual you just gave. Are you a professional writer? It describes perfectly how I felt one particular evening way back when I was a student walking around the East Village trying to find a subway in the middle of a snow storm. It was so quiet and still with just the snow falling down and only the occasional street lamps providing light. It was as if the whole city was on mute and magical making me feel like I was inside some snow globe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City