Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2017, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,046 times

Advertisements

Hi all- I am moving to NYC in July for a residency program through Jacobi in the Bronx, however we rotate with North Central Bronx/Montefiore and Mount Sinai/Beth Israel in Manhattan. I will predominantly be at Jacobi, however I would like an easy commute to all three places. First question, should I bring a car? If not, what would be a nice/young/safe place to live with easy access to these places via public transportation. My first idea was upper east manhattan, take the subway to 125/harlem and the Metro North railroad up to Fordham or Williams Bridge, and hop on a bus. Looks like I would have to pay monthly fees for the RTA and the railroad separately though. Im not opposed to buses, just not as familiar with them. Any help would be appreciated, I'm at a loss and don't have much free time to research.

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 04:53 PM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times
It's a good idea to list a budget, and then maybe what you're looking for in a neighborhood and housing preferences.

On a passing glance, they are both on the 5 train, so something along that line makes the most sense. If your split is pretty heavily towards Jacobi and nightlife isn't paramount to you, then Pelham Parkway or Morris Park in the Bronx and near your primary workplace might make sense. A car probably doesn't make too much sense, but that depends on your budget as well.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:09 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Jacobi ,Mt Sinai Beth Israel and The Upper East Side are all on the same subway line so it would definitely be better to use the subway. Forget metro north. The 5 train runs from pelham Parkway to 14the st running express in Manhattan and also in The Bronx during peak hours. If trying to go from The UES to Jacobi you would get on at 86 which is a 5 express stop . From UES to Beth Israel you could take the 5 express from 86 st to 14 st. If you lived somewhere on the UES closer to a local stop you would just take a 6 train to an express station and change to a 5. Montefiore is on the 4 line which also connects with the 5 and 6 so between Beth Israel and Montefiore you would use the 4 train from 14 th to Gun Hill road

From Montefiore to Jacobi there are city busses that take only about 20 minutes and also free inter hospital shuttle busses during the day at least.

I would not keep a car for this at all if I were you but if you insist on having a car you should probably switch gears and live in Morris Park or Pelham Parkway in where lots of the people like you live in buildings with garages. Morris Park and Pelham Parkway are not hip young people neighborhoods but are quite pleasant and low crime and the rents are much much less than the UES and like I said I think the Hospital has apartment buildings with garages.
Lots and lots of medical professionals like you on the Jacobi/ Montefiore/ Mt Sinai/ BI merry go round live near Jacobi. There is also medical college.. Albert Einstein College of Medicine ...that is part of The Jacobi complex.In some ways the area around Jacobi is itself a nexus for all 4 hospitals.

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-03-2017 at 05:41 PM..

Old 02-04-2017, 09:05 AM

738 posts, read 585,715 times
Subway access to the Bronx is excellent, esp. W of the Bronx River.

E of there, not so good, though the Bx 12 is pretty good along the parkway corridor. Along Webster Ave, forget it. That bus moves with the pace of an arthritic snail. Same with the Bx 42.

Skip the car is my advice.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:58 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
Subway access to the Bronx is excellent, esp. W of the Bronx River.

E of there, not so good, though the Bx 12 is pretty good along the parkway corridor. Along Webster Ave, forget it. That bus moves with the pace of an arthritic snail. Same with the Bx 42.

Skip the car is my advice.
Subway access to/from the Bronx is excellent all around.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:16 AM

25 posts, read 24,233 times
If you don't want to spend hours each day looking for a parking spot, forget the car

Old 02-04-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Subway access to/from the Bronx is excellent all around.

True...and anyway, West Bronx service has nothing to do with someone traveling back and forth between various points on the East Side and The East Bronx every day.

And for those of us who live on the 2 and 5 line in The Bronx there is nothing more convenient than being able to choose whether to take a train down the East side or a train down the West side at the start.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks1346 View Post
If you don't want to spend hours each day looking for a parking spot, forget the car
And it often takes much longer to drive between the East Bronx and Beth Israel/Mt Sinai than to take the subway because the Bruckner and the FDR and any of the Avenues are all pure hell. It's fine on Sundays and late in the evening or at night or maybe 5 am but other times forget it. Subway is faster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City