Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 11:00 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

OP, I just answered you on the NJ forum, too. Perth Amboy. Gave you a link to apartments in your price range with w/d in the unit. You drive over the OBX into Staten Island from right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 11:02 AM

602 posts, read 1,264,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalcedony View Post
Thanks again for all the feedback. I'm really not expecting to be able to afford to live in Brooklyn, given my price range and what I'm seeking out of an apartment. Let's go ahead and scratch off Brooklyn altogether.

Does it seem reasonable to find that range ($1200-$1800/mo) for a decent if small apartment in southern Bayonne?
I don't know enough about Bayonne rentals to answer that, but be aware that there is ongoing construction on the Bayonne Bridge which is closed pretty much daily these days. It's generally open for rush hour, I believe, though. PASI will get you $6.25/trip, so add that to your budget. The only people I know in Bayonne are a family with children, they seem to like it, quiet. Ish.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OP, I just answered you on the NJ forum, too. Perth Amboy. Gave you a link to apartments in your price range with w/d in the unit. You drive over the OBX into Staten Island from right there.
You'll be pushing your 1/2 hour to east shore SI from there with optimal traffic, forget about it if it is heavy. FWIW.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaver View Post
You'll be pushing your 1/2 hour to east shore SI from there with optimal traffic, forget about it if it is heavy. FWIW.
True. I cruise over the OBX every day (and it takes me almost half an hour to get there from Monmouth County) and then it takes a while to cross SI to the VNB, depending upon how many accidents they have that day.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:37 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,931 times
You can find a place in Brooklyn within your price range. You will be able to rent in a 2-3 family house.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:47 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square85 View Post
You don't want to live in Bayonne.

Bayonne is not all bad, but Southern Bayonne is pretty ghetto.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:43 AM

423 posts, read 1,248,859 times
I appreciate all the feedback.

Can anyone clarify to me the problems with Bayonne? I've talked with others, and they seemed to think that northern Bayonne (near the Jersey City line) is more of a problem, while southern Bayonne is fine. I don't have to be in the safest area--having lived in Detroit, I'm sure I've seen worse.

I thought about Perth Amboy at one time, but the standard commute looks to be 35 minutes. And that's during the best case scenario. Most likely ruling that out.

What are the details on the construction of the Bayonne Bridge? Is it long-term maintenance, or an expansion?

Old 02-15-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
What are the details on the construction of the Bayonne Bridge? Is it long-term maintenance, or an expansion?
It's closed most weekdays 9am-3pm, and then often on weekends and overnight. It's generally open for rush hour. It's scheduled to complete mid-2019. They are increasing clearance for water traffic.
Navigational Clearance Project - Bayonne Bridge - The Port Authority of NY & NJ

Old 02-15-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I appreciate all the feedback.

Can anyone clarify to me the problems with Bayonne? I've talked with others, and they seemed to think that northern Bayonne (near the Jersey City line) is more of a problem, while southern Bayonne is fine. I don't have to be in the safest area--having lived in Detroit, I'm sure I've seen worse.

I thought about Perth Amboy at one time, but the standard commute looks to be 35 minutes. And that's during the best case scenario. Most likely ruling that out.

I watched the time as I crossed the OBX today till I got to the Verrazano....yeah, was at least 45 minutes.

The Bayonne Bridge Navigational Clearance Project is not quite either of those things. What it was is too low. It only had a 165-foot clearance from the water at high tide to the bridge roadway, and the new post-Panamax container ships require a higher clearance. If they can't get to the NJ seaports, they will go to other east coast ports, and the region's economy will suffer.

The bridge is a historically significant arch bridge, so rather than demolishing it and building new, they are raising the roadway and putting it up higher through the arch to get a 215-foot air draft above mean high water. (As you can see, I know way too much about this project.) They are under the political guns to get this done as fast as possible, hence the closings. Completion will be in 2019.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:30 AM

423 posts, read 1,248,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I watched the time as I crossed the OBX today till I got to the Verrazano....yeah, was at least 45 minutes.

The Bayonne Bridge Navigational Clearance Project is not quite either of those things. What it was is too low. It only had a 165-foot clearance from the water at high tide to the bridge roadway, and the new post-Panamax container ships require a higher clearance. If they can't get to the NJ seaports, they will go to other east coast ports, and the region's economy will suffer.

The bridge is a historically significant arch bridge, so rather than demolishing it and building new, they are raising the roadway and putting it up higher through the arch to get a 215-foot air draft above mean high water. (As you can see, I know way too much about this project.) They are under the political guns to get this done as fast as possible, hence the closings. Completion will be in 2019.
Thanks for this information! Per your reference, I did further research and it sounds like it would be pretty unwise to live in Bayonne and commute to SI, at least for the next few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City