Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 08:20 AM

4,199 posts, read 4,098,387 times

Advertisements

25 or 30 years ago there were few plastic bags and supermarkets used paper bags. Then paper bags were viewed as bad and plastic was deemed better for some reason, maybe by the libs who wanted to save the trees. Paper bags are recyclable and never get stuck in trees. Just go back to paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 08:45 AM

274 posts, read 298,080 times
How is this even an issue. Lame.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:23 AM

8,700 posts, read 11,099,735 times
the govt should be embarrassed they can't iron this ongoing issue

Old 02-15-2017, 09:51 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,316,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I think it will eventually be implemented in some form. Cuomo stated the city fee would create a $100 million windfall for merchants, rather than directing the revenue to solving the environmental problem. He's creating a task force to come up with different legislation. In other words there will be a fee of some kind.
Agreed. Cuomo wants something statewide to deal with the problem that plastic bags cause. He also didn't understand why the merchants would get the $0.05 fee rather than it going to say help the environment. All of the people claiming that they re-use their plastic bags, that's great, but there are plenty of people that double and triple bag EVERYTHING and DON'T reuse their bags, and we need to stop this obsession with plastic bags, along with the THOUSAND reasons why we MUST have them. They are NOT a necessity. I no longer use plastic bags unless I get them when I receive a food delivery, and those I use for garbage. Where possible, I will insist that I not be given a plastic bag, as I usually have a reusable bag with me or a paper bag.

I will say that I am not a fan of most of the reusable bags because of the amount of chemicals in them, aside from them being Made in China, so I purchased several reusable organic cotton bags Made in USA. They are extremely durable, and can be thrown in the wash when needed. If you're really concerned about contamination, use a mix of paper bags and reusable bags. I only use the reusable bags for packaged items. Everything else goes in paper bags, and those are also used for garbage or recycled where possible.

What's amazing to me is that it has taken so long for NY to catch on. In Europe and elsewhere this concept has been in place for years and people adjusted. It's the same thing with the Metrocards. People complained when the MTA introduced a $1 green fee, and now you see very little Metrocards strewn about. The only way to curb waste is to have people pay for it (literally).

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 02-15-2017 at 10:50 AM..

Old 02-15-2017, 10:24 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,391,999 times
NYC has been 20 years behind the times for the last half-century.

One of the greatest cities in the world, but back-ass-wards.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:44 AM

31,948 posts, read 27,074,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Agreed. Cuomo wants something statewide to deal with the problem that plastic bags cause. He also didn't understand why the merchants would get the $0.05 fee rather than it going to say help the environment. All of the people claiming that they re-use their plastic bags, that's great, but there are plenty of people that double and triple bag EVERYTHING and DON'T reuse their bags, and we need to stop this obsession with plastic bags, along with the THOUSAND reasons why we MUST have them. They are NOT a necessity. I no longer use plastic bags unless I get them when I receive delivery, and those I use for garbage. Where possible, I will insist that I not be given a plastic bag, as I usually have a reusable bag with me or a paper bag.

I will say that I am not a fan of most of the reusable bags because of the amount of chemicals in them, aside from them being Made in China, so I purchased several reusable organic cotton bags Made in USA. They are extremely durable, and can be thrown in the wash when needed. If you're really concerned about contamination, use a mix of paper bags and reusable bags. I only use the reusable bags for packaged items. Everything else goes in paper bags, and those are also used for garbage or recycled where possible.

What's amazing to me is that it has taken so long for NY to catch on. In Europe and elsewhere this concept has been in place for years and people adjusted. It's the same thing with the Metrocards. People complained when the MTA introduced a $1 green fee, and now you see very little Metrocards strewn about. The only way to curb waste is to have people pay for it (literally).
Directing the fee to merchants rather than towards city's coffers allowed de Boob and CC to say (with a straight face), that the thing wasn't a new tax. Considering the vast and bewildering array of surcharges and taxes levied upon New York state and city residents, this time there were cold feet.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:28 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,909,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
This is a delay, not an permanent halt. One year from now they may somehow scrap the law, or it may go into effect.
it's gonna amount to a permanent halt writer, because NOBODY wants it. they have the answers Sway, and what they've discovered is that the 5 cent tax, goes straight to the store owners

Old 02-15-2017, 11:30 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,909,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Agreed. Cuomo wants something statewide to deal with the problem that plastic bags cause. He also didn't understand why the merchants would get the $0.05 fee rather than it going to say help the environment. All of the people claiming that they re-use their plastic bags, that's great, but there are plenty of people that double and triple bag EVERYTHING and DON'T reuse their bags, and we need to stop this obsession with plastic bags, along with the THOUSAND reasons why we MUST have them. They are NOT a necessity. I no longer use plastic bags unless I get them when I receive a food delivery, and those I use for garbage. Where possible, I will insist that I not be given a plastic bag, as I usually have a reusable bag with me or a paper bag.

I, amongst many others, reuse my plastic shopping bags, as garbage. i reuse my paper shopping bags, to retrieve other groceries, at Costco, or BJ's, or Sams Choice

Old 02-15-2017, 11:38 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,316,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
I, amongst many others, reuse my plastic shopping bags, as garbage. i reuse my paper shopping bags, to retrieve other groceries, at Costco, or BJ's, or Sams Choice
That's good. That still doesn't mean that plastic bags are good. They should be banned entirely. Paper isn't great, but it's still better than plastic. The people like you and I that do recycle tend to be higher income earners and more educated. The people that don't recycle tend to be poor and less educated, and while the fee would hurt them, I support it because it would force them to be more conscious of their waste habits. I don't however support the stores getting the fee. If a fee is to be enacted, the monies collected should go to environmental and education measures to better inform the public. I still see so many people here in NYC that don't properly recycle. We have new recycling cans all over and yet I see people constantly trying to put their plastic drinking containers in the garbage for cans meant for recycling.

In areas like the South Bronx, you can see trash everywhere and most of it comes from plastic bags. It's funny that they are experiencing a rat infestation there and everyone is nervous about the illnesses some people have contracted from said rats, but they don't think about their sanitary habits. They throw trash (including plastic bags) on the ground constantly instead of in the garbage as if littering is the norm. It's disgusting and disturbing. If anything maybe people (and the city) will be cleaner with such a fee. It will happen. It's just a matter of when.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:25 PM

18,481 posts, read 31,678,189 times
well, if people weren't such slobs and throw litter all over we wouldn't have this plastic litter problem, now would we.

im surprised we dont have a fee for breathing in air....is it city air????/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City