Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 09:45 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,638,530 times

Advertisements

Thoughts?

It's been a very long time since I been to either Botanical Garden but I know these two gardens are two top gardens in the city and are the two that are usually highly recommended. One thing I prefer about the Brooklyn Botanical Garden is that its right next to Prospect Park and in a more happening area. And one great thing about the Botanical Garden in the Bronx is that its right across from the Bronx Zoo.

I have a friend who has a passion for plants and never been to any of the botanical gardens in NYC. So I want to take her to either garden but would like some help and which one is best for me to take her too. I mean, we can go to either one on one day then the other some other time. I'm leaning more towards the Brooklyn Botanical Garden just because its close proximity to Prospect Park, Park Slope, Atlantic Ave area and closer to more "hip" stuff I know she would be interested in.

The Bronx would be close to Arthur Ave and some great eats but besides the garden, Fordham isn't too aesthetically pleasing. Unless I take her to Pelham Bay to check out some more cool greenery during the warmer months.

Other than that, its been quite a while since I been to either garden so I would like to hear your thoughts on which you prefer, which is better, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 10:42 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,196,810 times
I haven't been to the Brooklyn one in a long time, but consensus is that the Bronx botantical garden is larger and more thorough than Brooklyns botanical garden. While Brooklyn many have more trendy scene than Fordham keep in mind Bronx botanical garden is right next to the zoo. Some people make a day of it and go to both

Old 02-22-2017, 03:07 AM

106,662 posts, read 108,810,853 times
we were just at the ny botanical gardens yesterday for the orchard show

Old 02-22-2017, 04:51 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
The Brooklyn Botanical Garden more compact/smaller than the Bronx Botanical Garden. I think the Brooklyn is slightly more accessible as it closer to the subway station than the Bronx one (although it does have a MetroNorth station nearby but MetroNorth is more expensive than using the subway). Also the fact that the Bronx one is near the Bronx is kind of irrelevant as I have found due to the large size of both these attractions one can really only do one in a day (meaning the Bronx/NY Botanical Garden or the Bronx). On the other hand, one can combine the Brooklyn Botanical Garden with another attraction on the same day such as the Brooklyn Museum or something else.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:39 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Lital,

The Orchid Show, through April 9, puts the NYBG ahead of Brooklyn Botanic Garden through the next month. So head for the Bronx with your friend.

<Nice pictures, as usual, mathjak.>

Old 02-22-2017, 06:54 AM

602 posts, read 1,263,876 times
I live next door to BBG and have been a member there for over a decade. I meant to do NYBG for the orchids last weekend and it didn't work out for Reasons. I'm definitely doing it. If you are looking just for the garden, I'd definitely do NYBG right now. For sure. As far as garden PLUS, well, Park Slope isn't particularly hip unless you belong to the stroller set IMO. The farmer market at Prospect Park on Saturdays is pretty cool, but nothing better than a number of other ones around the city. Prospect Park is pretty cool, and the (small) Prospect Park Zoo has a few cool things in it. If you are looking for hip though, Washington and Franklin Ave off Eastern has really become a destination, with restaurants and beer gardens and wine gardens and whatnot all the way down to Atlantic.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:34 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Lived near both back in the day and love them both.

But.. the NYBG (Bronx) takes the prize as it has one of the last virgin woodlands left in New York City. Any botanical garden can create zen gardens or desert areas and have the big greenhouse. But the forest...

I took a picture of the Bronx River in Winter from one of the bridges in the NYBG. I tell people it's Colorado and they always believe it.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:47 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Lived near both back in the day and love them both.

But.. the NYBG (Bronx) takes the prize as it has one of the last virgin woodlands left in New York City. Any botanical garden can create zen gardens or desert areas and have the big greenhouse. But the forest...

I took a picture of the Bronx River in Winter from one of the bridges in the NYBG. I tell people it's Colorado and they always believe it.
Well, they must not know much about Rocky Mountain region riparian ecosystems, then. :-)

But I absolutely concur with the fact that the grounds of the Bronx Botanical Gardens with its old growth forest put it a head above Brooklyn. That said, I would wait until April or May since the grounds will be in full Spring mode with dogwood, tulips, and everything else in bloom.

Meanwhile, I would take a frien to Brooklyn BG for the very reasons stated in the OP, a shorter day in the gardens foollowed by other attractions in the local area.

As far as the surroundings of the Bronx BG not being as great, that is true, by foot, but there is also Pelham Bay Park which is the southernmost extenion of the rocky coast of the northern Atlantic coast and really a remarkably underappreciated part of NYC. Three times the size of Central Park, far more wild and natural yet crisscrossed with bike paths, and proximal to City Island for a unique NYC neighborhood and a seafood lunch.

Really, it would take a whole day for each, the BG and PBP, but if OP and friend are into flora, they are both certainly worht it once the weather warms up and the trees and plants bloom.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:51 AM

106,662 posts, read 108,810,853 times
arthur ave is right near the ny botanical gardens for awesome italian food

Old 02-22-2017, 11:54 AM

329 posts, read 299,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
arthur ave is right near the ny botanical gardens for awesome italian food
Yessssssss
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City