Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 12:20 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
If he was in Mexico he could see a doctor for $5 and have the necessary tests done for under $100.

I just did this last week.

Our health care system is not set up to help.

Do what you have to do. That's what it boils down to.

Your health means nothing to these people.
If he was in Mexico he'd be busy picking avocados all day long for $5. We have one of the best medical systems in the world provided that you can pay for medical insurance or poor enough to get it for free.

Why doesn't the OP's friend go to a regular doctor first to get a diagnosis. Despite having medical insurance I use to pay $40 in cash to a regular doctor. Though the doctor i went to was obviously so damn old he wasn't in it for the money anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 12:53 PM

419 posts, read 626,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Go to the ER and give fake info and SS number. By law they cannot ask for ID or proof of any sort. It's an honor system.

The illegals and other unemployed/uninsured folks have been doing it for years, just do what they do. Then the hospital has to brunt the cost.

Source: I used to work in an ER here in NYC

I'm being a bit sarcastic but also this is what happens. and 100% true.
lmao, but its true. Just give out random SS and name, ER dont give a crap.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:38 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Thanks for the suggestions all. I told him straight up its better not to not wait till it gets worse. It could snowball into a problem with permanent effects or even death. Maybe I can reach his mom to help convince him. Going to do my best.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:49 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Thanks for the suggestions all. I told him straight up its better not to not wait till it gets worse. It could snowball into a problem with permanent effects or even death. Maybe I can reach his mom to help convince him. Going to do my best.
https://www.citymd.com/services

The rates are very economical.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:50 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
https://www.citymd.com/services

The rates are very economical.
They are. May be less intimidating to him also. At this point getting him somewhere to get checked out so they have knowledge on what's going on here is paramount. Abdominal pain can have many causes, from the benign to very serious.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:10 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
People somehow forget that you can just go to your regular doctor. It will be cheaper than an ER, and if you have a relationship with your doctor, he'll often give you a reduced rate. There are also urgent care centers (I think Beth Israel has a few), and there are a few cheaper clinics around.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:29 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
People somehow forget that you can just go to your regular doctor. It will be cheaper than an ER, and if you have a relationship with your doctor, he'll often give you a reduced rate. There are also urgent care centers (I think Beth Israel has a few), and there are a few cheaper clinics around.

One, no small number of persons in NYC do not have a primary care physician.

Two,many doctors (mine included) do not take insurance or Medicare period, you pay upfront and they will submit paperwork for you to be reimbursed.

Three, various federal and NYS laws place requirements on hospitals regarding billing and collection practices. No such things affect private physicians. You cannot pay your bill and they can and often certainly will turn it over to a collection agency.

Lastly, a medical emergency does not always occur during regular business hours. Even if it does and you reach your primary care physician his or her office will almost certainly say go to the nearest ER/call 911. If you call after hours nearly all practices today via recordings say the same; "if this is a medical emergency go to the ER/call 911".

This can and does vary by circumstances. If a woman is in a family way, then likely her OB will respond and offer advice. Ditto if someone is perhaps under current treatment at home, recently released from hospital, etc...

Old 03-03-2017, 05:16 AM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Another option would be for your friend to go to an urgent care clinic.

https://www.urgentcarelocations.com/...rk-urgent-care

Old 03-03-2017, 06:21 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
There are around a dozen city run hospitals; choose one. If he has no assets, then in the end it turns into a write off.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:46 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
There are around a dozen city run hospitals; choose one. If he has no assets, then in the end it turns into a write off.
Yeah, and most persons would rather die than be taken to a NYC hospital.

Woodhull? Lincoln? Metropolitan? Well suppose if you have no other option, but even then.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: