Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 01:42 PM

274 posts, read 485,399 times

Advertisements

That's really weird they denied you for one outstanding bill, especially since it's a low-income building. Your credit score is decent. You should appeal. Send your credit report and explain everything. All buildings are different but at least try and see what they say. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 02:22 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larthur706 View Post
That's really weird they denied you for one outstanding bill, especially since it's a low-income building. Your credit score is decent. You should appeal. Send your credit report and explain everything. All buildings are different but at least try and see what they say. Good luck
Not really from a developers stand point. What if going fwd their one bill they decide not to pay is rent?
Once someone is in, its hard for someone to be kicked out. Since so many people apply why should they take their chances on a risky tenant who already shows having an outstanding bill. Why not go for the tenant with no bills? Low income should not mean not paying your bills on time. You still have to show financial responsibility.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:21 PM

274 posts, read 485,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Not really from a developers stand point. What if going fwd their one bill they decide not to pay is rent?
Once someone is in, its hard for someone to be kicked out. Since so many people apply why should they take their chances on a risky tenant who already shows having an outstanding bill. Why not go for the tenant with no bills? Low income should not mean not paying your bills on time. You still have to show financial responsibility.
I understand your point of view but we'll just agree to disagree on whether or not a person who misses one bill doesn't deserve the chance at a low income apartment.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larthur706 View Post
I understand your point of view but we'll just agree to disagree on whether or not a person who misses one bill doesn't deserve the chance at a low income apartment.
I never said they didn't, I'm trying to make you see the point from the developer.

Also it isn't ONE bill late, its 7 years. There is a difference of missing your credit card payment for the month of January and then missing it for 84 months. Yes the OP said she forget about it or didn't realize it but thats not something a developer wants to hear. I'm not trying to make the OP feel bad either, I'm just trying to get others to see if from the other point of view and just why its so hard to get into these buildings. Thousands upon thousands apply and they pick the best people. Hopefully they can pay the bill, show its been paid and the include that in the appeal and end up getting the apartment.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:48 PM

4,774 posts, read 6,573,986 times
It's funny that the city lowered the credit requirements quite a bit, but $500? That's not really a lot of money nowadays. So that requirement alone could deep-six someone who really needs an apartment.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
It's funny that the city lowered the credit requirements quite a bit, but $500? That's not really a lot of money nowadays. So that requirement alone could deep-six someone who really needs an apartment.
I think based upon the guidelines it has to have not benn paid awhile cause it says you can't be declined for a single bill. So if you don't pay it one month that can't hold it against you but if you don't pay it for several months they can.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:06 AM

24 posts, read 25,573 times
I appreciate everyone's opinion, I will just go ahead and pay what I owe just to be on the safe side. After its paid I have no debt what's so ever. Hopefully they'll reconsider. Thanks everyone.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavender25 View Post
I appreciate everyone's opinion, I will just go ahead and pay what I owe just to be on the safe side. After its paid I have no debt what's so ever. Hopefully they'll reconsider. Thanks everyone.
I think thats a good idea. Send in the proof you paid it off. Hopefully it will work out for the appeal. If not, going forward you know then that will will be debt free for the next apartment. Keep applying to every apartment building in the mean time.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:25 AM

24 posts, read 25,573 times
So I paid off the debt I had and I'm looking in to Lexington Law in order to take the negatives off my credit report. I still haven't heard back from the management office regarding my appeal. I emailed them and sent them a letter. Has anyone done an appeal before? What should I expect?

Old 03-13-2017, 11:42 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,843,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavender25 View Post
So I paid off the debt I had and I'm looking in to Lexington Law in order to take the negatives off my credit report. I still haven't heard back from the management office regarding my appeal. I emailed them and sent them a letter. Has anyone done an appeal before? What should I expect?
It can take months for the negatives to be removed from your credit report. Don't rely on that. Your appeal needs to show proof of settlement of the debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: