Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Move to New York City: Bronx, Queens, nyc apartment rentals, rental, Westchester.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,585 times

Advertisements

Hey all! I'm new here, and I've spent the last hour reading all sorts of posts.. I'm currently living in Northern California and will be graduating in May with a BS in Graphic Design. My field of interest is publishing, and neary 50% of the openings are in NYC. From the American Institute of Graphic Arts/Aquent study, entry level designers in NYC make about $32k. I know this is far too low for Manhattan, but I was wondering if you good folks could recommend some surrounding zip codes (for easier apartment searching). I'm sure these are far too optimistic, but here's the break down of what I'm looking for:

-I'd be moving with my BF, but I always plan as if I didn't have his financial help, incase he's not as lucky in the job department immediately (no degree).
-My yearly will probably be around $32k. I probably couldn't pay any more than $1600 a month for a place.
-Two bedroom apartment preferable, one room is doable.
-Up to 1hr commute OK. Public transit commute into the city preferable, will park and ride if needed.
-We have to have our cars. This is a big one because we want the freedom to be able to take road trips, run errands etc.
-Looking for safe neighborhood in moderate to good physical repair. By safe, I mean no gangs, low crime rate, and I could walk by myself (white 24/f/5'5") in the evenings.

My point of reference is Sacramento, CA and some experience with San Francisco (where I'm also considering).

My family tends to have some unfavorable and likely out-dated opinions of NYC and surrounding areas (Bronx, Queens) in general and will probably shudder at the mention, so any sort of pros and cons I could get (or give me the neighborhood and I'll look it up in the sticky) would be great!

Any and all help/advice is appreciated! I'm glad I found this forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 12:30 AM

127 posts, read 635,912 times
I hate to be a bubble burster, but unless I'm misunderstanding something, this is totally unrealistic.

First off, you can't afford $1600 a month on a $32K salary. Most landlords require that your annual salary be 40 times the monthly rent, in which case your rent limit would be $800. That *might* get you a studio in a borderline neighborhood. If you're lucky.

Now, you might find a landlord who'll let the income requirement slide. But $1600 a month (which, by the way, will probably get you a 1BR in a decent area in the outer boroughs, not a 2BR) is $19,200 a year. I don't know what taxes are like in that tax bracket, but I can't imagine you'd be bringing home more than $24K. So you'd have less than $5K a year for all other expenses, which would easily get eaten up by utilities and a couple of monthly MetroCards -- and then you're fine so long as don't need to eat, wear clothes, or save any money.

The upfront costs of renting in NYC are significant too. Most apartments require a broker's fee of 12-15% of annual rent, as well as first month's rent and security deposit -- so on a $1600 rental, you're up to $6K already without thinking about moving expenses, furnishing the apartment, etc.

And do yourself a favor and relieve yourself of the delusion of having a car, much less two of them. Gas, insurance, maintenance, parking tickets, car payments -- where exactly is that money going to come from? My girlfriend and I make more than triple what you're hoping to, and we can barely afford one crappy car, which we only keep because she commutes to the suburbs. Most people we know don't have one at all, and they survive. So will you.

The bottom line is that you might be able to swing this, but it's going to be hard. Forget about the cars, make the boyfriend get a job, and save up some cash before you make the move, and you might have a shot. Good luck.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:21 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,958,858 times
Your CARS (plural)?????? You must be delusional. Keeping a car in NYC is the surest way to throw money away. Believe me, once you pay your insurance and IF you manage to park on the street (which, in an of itself is a full-time job) you won't have money for road trips. Not on that salary. GET RID OF THE CARS and rent. This is NOT California. You don't need a car.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:07 AM

510 posts, read 2,244,479 times
First off, forget about keeping your cars. On that salary it is completely out of the question and even if you could afford it owning a car here, even in the outer boroughs, is completely unnecessary. Second: on $32k you absolutely positively cannot afford $1600/mo for an apartment. Your take home pay according to paycheckcity (which is scary accurate by the way) would be just under $1800/mo. I defy you to live on under $200/mo for expenses. Pay your cell phone bill and your metrocard and you are at virtually $0. What about food, entertainment, clothes, and all other bills? Not only will you not be able to afford $1600 but NO landlord would rent you and apartment that cost that much in the first place. Most landlords require you make 40x your monthly rent but will give you a little wiggle room if you can pay more up front or if you can have a guarantor (co-signer) on your lease who makes 100x or more your monthly rent.

I understand that if you want to work in the publishing industry that NYC is THE place to live so I won't outright tell you that you shouldn't move here on that salary. Those jobs are highly competetive and since there are thousands of grads clamoring for these entry-level jobs in creative fields they can afford to pay you virtually nothing. You will have a tough few years making little money trying to live here but (hopefully) you will eventually move up. I would consider getting a few years experience in elsewehere so when you do move here you can start with a higher salary.

If you do not want to wait to get started here your budget should be AT LEAST $1000/mo for a studio (and that will be hard to find). Your boyfriend needs to get a job if you plan on being able to afford anything more than that. You can find a $30k job in your sleep in this city. Even doing some temping could pay more than that. If the two of you combined could be making ~$60k then you could think about a one bedroom. Try Astoria, Queens where a one bedroom would run you about $1300+.

For godsake give up your car. You cannot afford it.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:25 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,151,355 times
Even if they could afford the insurance, gas and maintenance for ONE car, having one is not that convenient unless you can also afford a garage and you live in an outer-outer borough neighborhood where driving is more pleasant than on the congested streets of the areas of Queens, Brooklyn etc. that are close to Manhattan.

I do have a car and am finding it to be more of a liability and hassle than anything else. Last Sunday late afternoon I drove 3 miles from one neighborhood in Queens to the Trader Joes in Queens and on my way home I absolutely swore to myself that I would never ever take my car out again at that hour on a Sunday.

Sure, it's convenient for the few months a year that I'm not in NY, and it was convenient last year when I frequently had to travel to New England, but this year, I kind of cringe when I think about street cleaning or driving in traffic or even when I sit around and wonder if anyone has hit and broken the side mirror ETC.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:42 AM

957 posts, read 3,353,001 times
Op, have you even researched the requirements to renting in NYC? It sounds like you're relying on these boards and not much else-huge mistake. You need to start looking around yourself at the cost of living before you assess whether or not NYC is for you as it sounds like you are very unrealistic. From what I'm seeing, you want to be able to afford a 2 bedroom, although you can settle on a 1, on a salary of maybe $32k give or take. Seriously-that's insane. I understand your bf will hopefully contribute, but what is his field? How much will he make? Do you guys even have jobs lined up yet? Before you go spouting off how much you can afford it rent, you should take the time to see how much the two of you will actually be making.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:02 PM

288 posts, read 1,192,066 times
All of the above responses are 100% correct.

People rent cars here if they want to head to the hills.

You might be able to put up some deposit money, up front, to a landlord to pursuade that s/he let you bypass the (standard) 40x mo.-apt. rent requirement. If doing that, look for no-fee apartments (most likely through Craigslist).

In that price range, the point of reference is not Sacramento or SF--it's Oakland (and that's stretching price wise).

Old 02-11-2008, 08:47 PM

7 posts, read 14,433 times
Usaku - I'm glad to give you my take on this. In return I'd LOVE for you to return the favor. Ironically I've lived my entire life in the suburbs of NYC and I'm 25 year old male dreaming of living in California. I've vacationed for less than a week in both LA and San Diego in the past year and don't feel like I got the greatest sense of either one. Everyone says San Diego is the place for me. I am a 25 year old male. Born, raised, and mostly confined to Westchester - upper scale suburb of NYC. I've realized in the last few years exactly how much I LOVE the summers for the weather (I dont care if its a little humid, as long as its SUNNY and WARM!). After a good amount of time considering the obvious San Diego and other CA areas - because of the weather and obvious culture hot spots and young crowds - I am considering other options for a good 6-8 month stay and possibly longer. Can I find something thats alive enough and rich with young energetic culture, with a beautiful climate. (A short winter would be perfectly fine, as long as I get a good 6 months or so of sun and fun). Could you give me your take on Sacramento and any other Cali areas and where you'd recommend for me?

As promised here's my NY response. Most people here are right in that you're probably underestimating the financial requirements of living IN NYC. Living in Manhattan is ridiculously expensive and totally not worth it unless you make a very very comfortable living. For example, I've lived in Westchester, the somewhat affluent suburban county just above NYC, for my entire life. It takes me 45 minutes to get into the city by car, and a $14 round trip train ticket does it in the same amount of time.

That being said, there is no need to live IN the city when you can have all the great parts of it at your fingertips without the insane prices o annoyances of a city. Westchester has its pricey areas and it down-in-the-dumps areas and everything in between. Sticking closer to the city, look into Tarrytown (10591), Pleasantville(10570), Dobbs Ferry, Irvington (10533), Mt. Kisco, and Croton-on-Hudson, for nicer but pretty reasonably priced areas in terms of apartments. $1600/month will absolutely get you a quality 1 bedroom apartment and could very well get you a 2-bedroom. I live in a 3BR apartment - happens to be rent controlled - but nonetheless its $1500/month. Your price range is fine for the areas I just mentioned.

If you wanted to go a bit lower and live in a still-ok but not quite as nice town, check out Elmsford, Yonkers (has its very nice areas and its very bad areas), New Rochelle (similar to yonkers). The Bronx does have some decent areas too.

What some of these people have said is true in that a studio in any of these areas would go a bit under $1000/month, but they fail to remember that the more people living there the less it costs. In other words, I live in a 3BR apartment with two roommates. I pay $500/month. If I were to look for a studio apartment, I'd end up paying almost twice as much because the cost is all on me (and I'd have less space!). You'll be splitting the rent I assume with your boyfriend and can't imagine you'd have a hard time finding something decent to good at the $1600/month range. Whether or not you can afford $1600/month would be the real question.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask. Also it would be great if you could respond to my questions as well.

Thanks
Joe

Old 02-12-2008, 01:05 PM

3 posts, read 9,648 times
If you're earning 32K, you'll find rent of $1600 is out of reach. Taxes are very high here. I would look in Brooklyn, Astoria (Queens) or Hoboken (NJ). Good luck!

Old 02-12-2008, 01:45 PM

274 posts, read 1,109,304 times
"-My yearly will probably be around $32k. I probably couldn't pay any more than $1600 a month for a place."

Landlords require a salary equal to 40 times the monthly rent.

"-Two bedroom apartment preferable, one room is doable."

You're looking at a 1-1.5 hour commute for a $1600 2-bedroom. You'd no longer be in "NYC" but some suburb or ghetto borough of NYC.

-Up to 1hr commute OK. Public transit commute into the city preferable, will park and ride if needed.

NYC = Manhattan to most people. A 1 hour commute puts you in the ghetto. Or Jersey. No reason to leave CA for Jersey or Queens.

-We have to have our cars. This is a big one because we want the freedom to be able to take road trips, run errands etc.

Gonna cost you at least $200 for parking. Not to mention insurance, $200 parking tickets, your car getting towed, stolen, etc.

-Looking for safe neighborhood in moderate to good physical repair. By safe, I mean no gangs, low crime rate, and I could walk by myself (white 24/f/5'5") in the evenings.

That describes most places in Manhattan, where the average 1-bedroom is $2800/mo.

"My point of reference is Sacramento, CA and some experience with San Francisco (where I'm also considering)."

I'd go to SF. It's a cheaper, and some places have parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City