Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 10:25 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,946,605 times

Advertisements

The city’s hottest neighborhood for 2016? Forget Tribeca—it’s strictly for dinosaurs. Bushwick? So last year. No, the new red-hot hood is Jamaica, Queens, the middle-class, largely immigrant community just north of JFK Airport.

At least, that’s according to StreetEasy, the popular New York City real-estate listing service. It crunched the numbers to predict which community will see the biggest surge in demand. Jamaica, it seems, has momentum.

Its population has been growing nearly three times as fast as the citywide rate in recent years, and Jamaica’s median home prices rose 39% in 2015, compared with the city’s 6%, according to StreetEasy’s extrapolation of Census and city data. StreetEasy’s own website shows the growth in views per listing in Jamaica is far outpacing the city average.

StreetEasy data scientist Alan Lightfeldt says Jamaica is gaining notice for its low prices and fast access to Manhattan—it’s 21 minutes to Penn Station on the LIRR.

“Jamaica is primed for growth,” he says.

This is a little like hearing the most eligible bachelor in town is the guy behind the rental-car counter.

At first glance, there’s not much to see in Jamaica—it’s packed with hulking bureaucratic buildings and chain stores. There’s a Kennedy Fried Chicken across the street from a Crown Fried Chicken.

Jamaica Is Pegged as Next NYC Hot Spot - WSJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 12:09 AM

181 posts, read 206,100 times
Hipsters going to Kennedy Fried Chicken?? What in the world is going on lol. I guess I can see that happening in the future, and in a way it seems inevitable, with the rents continuing to rise in Manhattan and the northern part of BK starting to look like Manhattan when it comes to price.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:28 AM

320 posts, read 283,332 times
While suspended from city data for the last week I had nothing to do so I went to Jamaica to talk with the locals. While I can agree Jamaica will caucasiantrify in the coming years I still cant wrap my head around the correlation between black flight and real estate value increase. I thought people were moving to these places for diversity. Does anyone have any sources to help me?

Old 01-04-2016, 06:39 AM

181 posts, read 206,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spodi90 View Post
While suspended from city data for the last week I had nothing to do so I went to Jamaica to talk with the locals. While I can agree Jamaica will caucasiantrify in the coming years I still cant wrap my head around the correlation between black flight and real estate value increase. I thought people were moving to these places for diversity. Does anyone have any sources to help me?
I don't think people are leaving these areas because they are hostile to diversity. Some might. I think it's because they can't afford to live there anymore. In the case of blacks, they make less on average than whites. If you look at the statistics for areas that are losing minority populations, the average income increases with the population shift. It is logical that they would move---they can't afford to live there. If people with higher incomes, better education, in a higher social class move into an area, it raises the property values. It is a socioeconomic issue.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:43 AM

Its neo imperalism (which is ironic in more ways than one but most gentrifiers are uber politically correct, hate historic imperialism but today is very similar) or with this neighborhood's future you could say its blacksploitation.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:13 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,830 times
I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts these increases are due to the swelling South Asian and Latino populations in the area. Believe it or not many immigrants here do very well for themselves. No need to "Fear Whitey".

Old 01-04-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts these increases are due to the swelling South Asian and Latino populations in the area. Believe it or not many immigrants here do very well for themselves. No need to "Fear Whitey".
I have used poetic metaphors in the past and I will once again to start off 2016 on the right (honest) foot. South asians and latinos in ny will be flushed down the pearly white toilet of new york. Brown nouns can not live in white toilets. The $ilver flusher represents nyc's modern definition of justice. I have stated before that the bureaucratic government always slow but effecient in the end (the ends justify the means) will flush the darker colored nouns down the toilet in ny. Case in point? Bed stuy now known as dough or die, bushwhick(their toilet is 90 percent fixed by plumber developers), black mecca transitiong to white mecca Harlem and up and douching (coming) spanish harlem transitioning to peninsulares harlem, piano district has some really really strong toilets being developed and according to some sources Jamaica will most likely get a strong pearly white toilet to flush dark nouns down the toilet in the coming years. God bless NY and its modern plumbing system comparable to Rome. Heres to hubris for the ones who disagree with the idiot who just posted this bs. (spodi is mentally handicapped)... I know, what a jackass.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:38 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spodi90 View Post
Its neo imperalism (which is ironic in more ways than one but most gentrifiers are uber politically correct, hate historic imperialism but today is very similar) or with this neighborhood's future you could say its blacksploitation.
I disagree.

Blacks in NYC and other cities accepted being thrown crumbs (low level jobs, rent stabilization, etc.).

There is no reason why Black people should not be able to afford to live in nicer areas. Work harder, get an education, etc.

In this sense gentrification is good because it FORCES people to confront the lack of achievement.

And if you want to say barriers exist for Blacks getting higher paying jobs, then people need to break down those barriers.

When you're dependent upon this program or this "right" (rent stabilization) then you will end up living wherever the government DUMPS you. And that's really what is happening. Big cities were used as dumping grounds for unwanted people till the 90s, when the federal government decided big American cities had to compete with big Asian and European cities. So they encouraged development via tax credits, and the poor people they dumped in cities are now getting dumped elsewhere.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I disagree.

There is no reason why Black people should not be able to afford to live in nicer areas. Work harder, get an education, etc.

In this sense gentrification is good because it FORCES people to confront the lack of achievement.

And if you want to say barriers exist for Blacks getting higher paying jobs, then people need to break down those barriers.
So says an ivy grad?

And as for those barriers to non white nouns, I support those pearly white gates being put up today in a historic homage to the great robert moses and his theories and practices in 20th century sobro.

Last edited by Spodi90; 01-04-2016 at 08:48 AM..

Old 01-04-2016, 08:49 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,725,969 times
nice, another real estate broker slapping lipstick on a pig

Jamaica isn't getting hot in anybody here's lifetime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City