Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 04:34 PM

454 posts, read 447,986 times

Advertisements

We have optimum online in Brooklyn and we got message that they are charging $10 a month to rent their modem. Previously it was free. Im sure many of you heard of this?

Where do you buy your modem so you don't have to pay the fee? We currently use the arris tm802m modem with no issue. I checked amazon and it sells for 50-80 dollars depending on which model you have. They have the one we have for around $50 used. Almost all these modems are used on amazon. I checked ebay a bit as well and less selection and almost all are used. Can someone tell me where you buy your modem and which model and how much? Anyone here buy a brand new modem instead?

I checked online but not sure which modem is compatible... at least im not sure if it is or not. Do we contact optimum and ask what arris modems you support etc? And is installation pretty simple for this? I remember i did something like this a while back when we had time warner cable internet or road runner internet and bought a motorola modem because of this rental fee they started charging and then having to go there to return the modem. Anyone with optimum can give advice on where to buy it and what model? Also i believe we use optimum 20 because we pay either 55 or 65 a month. Has anyone here used the 24.99 plan from optimum and can give their thoughts on this? Is it very slow? Could we use the newly bought modem for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 06:10 PM

Does anyone know if you need to send back the wireless router that came along with it? When we got optimum years ago, we were told that we return it and the modem whenever we no longer use optimum But reading the other forums, people spoke only of the modem not the router. I spoke with them on the phone and they said you need to return everything.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:28 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
Yes, you have to return the wireless router to optimum once you no longer use their service.
As for the modem, you can buy one at Best Buy.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:35 PM

Do you need to return the wireless router if you still are using them but want to return the modem so you don't have to pay that monthly $10 fee?

Old 03-17-2019, 10:13 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post
Do you need to return the wireless router if you still are using them but want to return the modem so you don't have to pay that monthly $10 fee?
Nope. You can return the modem and save $10 a month and keep the router. Unless you sign up as a bundle, then you might need to return the router when you return modem. You can talk to customer service about it, and they are likely to let you keep it.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:35 AM

1,486 posts, read 987,556 times
When I was with them the modem was free but if it ws the modem and wireless router in one then there was a monthly rent charge. We had the Arris model since I used my own wireless router.

What I would do is ask them what is the latest model they provide and just buy that one to reduce "we don't support that model" BS replies when you start having connection drops

Old 03-17-2019, 04:00 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
They pulled this on me about a 1.5 years ago. They said it was gonna be a $10 fee every month. So I went to best buy and bought one for $40. Then called optimum, they sent a box and I mailed it back to them free of charge. $40 well spent. In those 20 months I would've given them $200 to "rent" it versus just buying one for $40

Old 03-17-2019, 06:17 PM

Did you had to buy a new router as well?

Old 03-17-2019, 06:18 PM

Also has anyone here downgraded their service to the slowest optimum plan and if so, your experience? We have the optimum 100 plan like most ppl and its 100 mbps. But of course most ppl dont need that much. It seem they have optimum 20 which gives you 20mbps which is still pretty fast. Anyone have this?

Old 03-17-2019, 06:36 PM

1,486 posts, read 987,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post
Also has anyone here downgraded their service to the slowest optimum plan and if so, your experience? We have the optimum 100 plan like most ppl and its 100 mbps. But of course most ppl dont need that much. It seem they have optimum 20 which gives you 20mbps which is still pretty fast. Anyone have this?
20mbps is not a lot unless you live alone and all you are doing is web browsing and checking emails. If oyu live with others, the moment someone tried to stream something HD like youtube, nexflix,hulu, etc while someone is trying to play a game online there goes all your bandwidth and shuttering will occur
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City