Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2010, 04:30 PM
DBF DBF started this thread

78 posts, read 186,344 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have the Comporium fiber optic cable and has bought their own modem. Please advise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 10:48 PM

595 posts, read 1,622,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBF View Post
Does anyone have the Comporium fiber optic cable and has bought their own modem. Please advise
The fiber modem doesn't have a cable modem. The fiber line plugs into a box that has ethernet, cable, and phone outputs on it.

You can use your own router, but not cable modem.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:00 AM
DBF DBF started this thread

78 posts, read 186,344 times
Sorry - knew there was no cable with fiber optics. Just wondered if anyone had a modem recommendation - i really do not want to pay $10 a month to use Comporium's wireless. Am between Linksys or NetGear Dual band N router. Any recommendations?

Old 03-20-2010, 01:30 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,989,522 times
So your looking for a wireless router? If so, def dont pay $10 a month for their "Router/Modem" unit, they are terrible.

I have a linksys, have had it for probably 4+ years now. The "cheaper" models have there typical issues. I have to power cycle my router every so often but not a ton. If you want something top flight, a metal cased router usually is better. If its for basic home use, a Wireless G or N router from Linksys is a good start.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:34 PM

201 posts, read 598,703 times
I'm not too much of a computer person, so I hope this makes sense: We have Comporium fiber optic, and we didn't want 4 separate internet accounts for our 4 separate internet connections in the house. So we bought a router through Comporium (Turned out to be a Linksys router). It did cost a good bit more than if you bought it at the store, but they brought it out and installed it in the Comporium box in the house. I guess it "splits" the signal at the box, so we don't have to use a wireless router in the house. I hope I got all that right!

Old 03-20-2010, 05:52 PM

704 posts, read 2,068,652 times
here are the top 4 rated ones and Linksys is seen 3 times on the list:
Wireless Router Reviews: Best Wireless Router

Old 03-20-2010, 05:54 PM

704 posts, read 2,068,652 times
I meant to tell you to look down at #4 and then across to the right and you see over 250 models all listed by price.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:10 AM

595 posts, read 1,622,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBF View Post
Sorry - knew there was no cable with fiber optics. Just wondered if anyone had a modem recommendation - i really do not want to pay $10 a month to use Comporium's wireless. Am between Linksys or NetGear Dual band N router. Any recommendations?
Yea, don't pay Comporium $10/month for something that will only cost you $50 one time.

Honestly, they all are about average. I've had luck with some of the older Linksys but not the newer ones.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:47 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,989,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillesc View Post
I'm not too much of a computer person, so I hope this makes sense: We have Comporium fiber optic, and we didn't want 4 separate internet accounts for our 4 separate internet connections in the house. So we bought a router through Comporium (Turned out to be a Linksys router). It did cost a good bit more than if you bought it at the store, but they brought it out and installed it in the Comporium box in the house. I guess it "splits" the signal at the box, so we don't have to use a wireless router in the house. I hope I got all that right!
Thats the point of a router, to have one modem, and multiple computers. I REALLY hope you werent thinking about buying 4 separate internet lines, YIKES!

If your paying Comporium $10 a month for the ROUTER, your getting ripped off. They might charge a modem fee, which, is "nearly" unavoidable. So, if that linksys router you have is costing you $10 a month, give it back to Comporium, and go buy it yourself. They directions that come with it are SUPER SIMPLE, and if you cant figure it out, the manufacturer usually has 24/7 support or id gladly hook it up and configure it for you or help via emial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties