Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 08:07 PM

209 posts, read 220,105 times

Advertisements

If given the choice, would you rather stay in NYC, enjoying all of the culture, people and high rents () or relocate to a more affordable city which allows you to own a home like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpPOfeUfoW4

I'm seriously considering moving from the Northeast to a more affordable state, with no taxes. The home in the above video is in Dallas. I really like the idea of owning such a beautiful home, but then I think about all that I love about the Northeast **i.e. Fall weather, entertainment, culture and of course my family.**

I'm conflicted but curious about what you would do if you had the opportunity to relocate outside of NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 08:11 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
the "culture" is waaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated. There is no culture here, it's all appropriated culture. NYC is also a mecca for fake ass people to emigrate to (talking about our domestic transplants). Real immigrants are cool, but what are the chances you are going to interact with them on any social level? zero pretty much. NYC, like DC and SF is snob-central.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:19 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,929 times
I already experienced the suburban life for a few years. Not for me. I'll stay in the city. I'm not a home body so I don't need all that space. I prefer to be out as much as possible.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:21 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,466 times
My dream is to move!

Old 05-16-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
the "culture" is waaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated. There is no culture here, it's all appropriated culture. NYC is also a mecca for fake ass people to emigrate to (talking about our domestic transplants). Real immigrants are cool, but what are the chances you are going to interact with them on any social level? zero pretty much. NYC, like DC and SF is snob-central.
I agree that NYC can be very elitist, but there is obviously something that keeps many native New York City residents in NY. Many complain about residing in NYC, but few leave and those who do break away, often find themselves back in NYC, within a few years.

New York city residents seem to be content with shoe box high rent apartments, bars on every block, very good restaurants, nightlife, excellent transit options and cultural attractions.

I agree, there tends to be a lot of charlatans in NYC, but again, most native NYC residents will take the bad w/ the good and stay put, rather than relocate to more affordable cities like Austin, Dallas, Denver, etc.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I already experienced the suburban life for a few years. Not for me. I'll stay in the city. I'm not a home body so I don't need all that space. I prefer to be out as much as possible.

You raise a very good point. I like the idea of owning a big home in a more affordable location, but I also love walkable cities and not everyone is a home body.

Anyhow, I can't imagine living in an area that doesn't have a lot of restaurants and shops within walking distance of my home.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:30 PM

quote:
but there is obviously something that keeps many native New York City residents in NY.

yeah, it's being called stuck in a box and not being able to afford to actually move. hamster-wheel.. whether low income, mid income, hells i bet there are some high income people who can't even afford to move. for me, it's all i know and that sucks. i bet for others it similar, but who knows. it's hard to just uproot, especially if you are single and don't make a hell of a lot of money. NYC is has become a financial plantation for MANY.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
My dream is to move!
More than likely, once you relocate, you will spend a great deal of time reminiscing about your life in NYC.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:
but there is obviously something that keeps many native New York City residents in NY.

yeah, it's being called stuck in a box and not being able to afford to actually move. hamster-wheel.. whether low income, mid income, hells i bet there are some high income people who can't even afford to move. for me, it's all i know and that sucks. i bet for others it similar, but who knows. it's hard to just uproot, especially if you are single and don't make a hell of a lot of money. NYC is has become a financial plantation for MANY.
Very true. I however have the ability to leave the Northeast. I am single and earn a very good income (working 100% from home). I'm not sure why I remain when there are so many other places that fit my lifestyle much better.

I've thought about California (Pasadena or possibly San Diego), but I don't want to be a renter for life. Dallas seems a bit promising, but at the end of the day, it's Texas, and I can't say that I find TX or Texans for that matter appealing. For these reasons, I've decided to stay put, but my lease will be ending soon, so I have to make a decision.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:46 PM

It's so weird seeing so many people move to nyc now because they dont want to be "homebodies". THAT'S why I DID move here , I just wanted to be left alone. Now NYC is annoyingly a big social hive of annoying bees! I'm more used to people that act like roaches, mice, flies, beetles, and ladybugs in a big gaggle of vermin. If you cherish true diversity, NYC has become in the last 10 years so bad. Lots of people in NYC with money are currently out colonizing currently affordable areas of LA and Detroit with the same bland bull-jsit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City