Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 10:31 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,506 times

Advertisements

So I took the Wall street to Rockaway ferry recently and I must say, its a real draw. $2.75 fare and plenty of people on board, this was mid-day before the PM rush. It made a stop in Sunset Park but very few people boarded or exited there. We passed Coney Island on the way there and I can't helpt to think that a stop at Coney Island would be a real boon to that area. It would give people an alternative to the long subway ride or the expensive express buses.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 11:04 AM

11,638 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
So I took the Wall street to Rockaway ferry recently and I must say, its a real draw. $2.75 fare and plenty of people on board, this was mid-day before the PM rush. It made a stop in Sunset Park but very few people boarded or exited there. We passed Coney Island on the way there and I can't helpt to think that a stop at Coney Island would be a real boon to that area. It would give people an alternative to the long subway ride or the expensive express buses.

What do you guys think?
That makes sense to me.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:11 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:

What do you guys think?
It's been discussed before and there are various groups such as this one advocating for it. One question is if it should be a year-round commuter service or a seasonal run.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:14 AM

Just thought about it and realized it would be helpful for Rockaway residents who want to access the 6th Ave lines before they get into Manhattan too.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:19 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
How about a ferry from the flushing marina to wall st?

Old 05-20-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It's been discussed before and there are various groups such as this one advocating for it. One question is if it should be a year-round commuter service or a seasonal run.
I think year around commuter service would work. I'd even say send some up the midtown (34th street) ferry stop as well. This would be very beneficial to folks especially when there are major delays on the MTA.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
How about a ferry from the flushing marina to wall st?
Yes I could see that working too, the 7 train can be a real pain. There's already a ferry in the works from Soundview in the Bronx to Wall street so adding an extra stop in Flushing probably wouldn't be too much trouble.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:04 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Just thought about it and realized it would be helpful for Rockaway residents who want to access the 6th Ave lines before they get into Manhattan too.
I think it'd have to be a separate line that's not connected with the Rockaways, because the Coney Island stop would add a lot of time to the current Rockaway setup.

The ferry pier for Coney Island is going to need to be put in a sheltered area for Coney Island, so that means it'll need to be in Coney Island Creek. Boats need to expend quite a bit of fuel and time to make that curve around Seagate to turn into the creek to the pier all of which sort of erases the relatively speedy and straight line advantage that the Rockaway ferry currently has to make it a very reasonable alternative to taking the A train.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think it'd have to be a separate line that's not connected with the Rockaways, because the Coney Island stop would add a lot of time to the current Rockaway setup.

The ferry pier for Coney Island is going to need to be put in a sheltered area for Coney Island, so that means it'll need to be in Coney Island Creek. Boats need to expend quite a bit of fuel and time to make that curve around Seagate to turn into the creek to the pier all of which sort of erases the relatively speedy and straight line advantage that the Rockaway ferry currently has to make it a very reasonable alternative to taking the A train.
Ah, I understand now. Thanks.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:03 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:

What do you guys think?
Have you even been around Coney? The area is very inconvenient to shuttle people to and from this tiny strait area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City