Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 9,766 times

Advertisements

I've heard that some people who want to relocate to NYC but can't afford it move to neighboring cities in NJ or CT maybe. Does anyone know of inexpensive/affordable places where one can rent an apt for a reasonable price that is close enough to NYC that one could take a train or bus into the city?

I'm a musician, so particularly looking for a place where there are a lot of musicians/artists in the area too.

I don't mind commuting even as much as an hour, if need be, just would need access to the city.

Thank you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 10:58 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
You haven't provided a budget so your question isn't so easy to answer. Inexpensive compared to what?

Old 05-28-2017, 12:21 PM

983 posts, read 931,684 times
Your best bet is probably places in Northern NJ, or Staten Island. But without many details, it's hard to give a good suggestion.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:56 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,867 times
Newark. 20 mins to Penn Station, very cheap.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:37 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
Without a budget it is hard to answer this question: But be aware that outside of fashionable brownstone Brooklyn and Manhattan below 125th st (roughly), there are relatively cheaper places to live, an hour or so from Manhattan in Queens, the Bronx, and parts of Brooklyn. These are non-trendy neighborhoods, family-oriented areas, sometimes dominated by immigrants, and sometimes in two-fare zones to Manhattan. Such places are aren't slums either. But they're not where most newcomers think of living when they relocate here. Bay Ridge, Riverdale, Woodside, Sunnyside, Midwood, Bedford Park, Kew Gardens, Sunset Park, Windsor Terrace, and on and on....There are lots of others.

These are generally boring, non-gentrified, working- and middle-class outlying neighborhoods whose residents come into Manhattan for work or entertainment, but don't have a need to be among the hip and trendy. And for that reason they can be far cheaper than living in, for instance, the East Village or Williamsburg or Hell's Kitchen.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Without a budget it is hard to answer this question: But be aware that outside of fashionable brownstone Brooklyn and Manhattan below 125th st (roughly), there are relatively cheaper places to live, an hour or so from Manhattan in Queens, the Bronx, and parts of Brooklyn. These are non-trendy neighborhoods, family-oriented areas, sometimes dominated by immigrants, and sometimes in two-fare zones to Manhattan. Such places are aren't slums either. But they're not where most newcomers think of living when they relocate here. Bay Ridge, Riverdale, Woodside, Sunnyside, Midwood, Bedford Park, Kew Gardens, Sunset Park, Windsor Terrace, and on and on....There are lots of others.

These are generally boring, non-gentrified, working- and middle-class outlying neighborhoods whose residents come into Manhattan for work or entertainment, but don't have a need to be among the hip and trendy. And for that reason they can be far cheaper than living in, for instance, the East Village or Williamsburg or Hell's Kitchen.
I wouldn't call Bay Ridge middle class, nor Riverdale. They are both upper middle to upper class areas. Bay Ridge west of Third Avenue is quite expensive, especially the homes, some going into the millions easily. There is nothing "cheap" about Shore Road or say Ridge Blvd. Quite beautiful infact, with the express bus nearby. Same goes for Riverdale. I would agree with areas like Bedford Park and Sunset Park being cheap, but even those aren't cheap these days and Sunset Park is relatively ugly and industrial. Windsor Terrace sure as hell isn't cheap either (I can't recall it ever being cheap even before Brooklyn became filled with hipsters) and is quite nice, and pretty expensive, since most of it is close to Prospect Park. You need to do a better job of classifying neighborhoods. Windsor Terrace is right up there with Park Slope and Brooklyn Heights, in terms of the best (and most expensive) Brooklyn neighborhoods, and let's not forget Bay Ridge (clean, family oriented, lots of restaurants and bars) and of course Dyker Heights.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:54 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
Yes, I know that parts of say, Riverdale or Bay Ridge contain seven-figure-plus homes. But each neighborhood definitely also has rentals affordable for regular incomes. If prices have surged in Windsor Terrace, my bad. It's been a while since the folks I know there moved in, so maybe prices have appreciated beyond what I assumed.

But the point stands that these areas are generally still relatively less expensive than the neighborhoods most newcomers first think of. And in terms of QOL they do vary, though like I said, none are war zones or close to it.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Yes, I know that parts of say, Riverdale or Bay Ridge contain seven-figure-plus homes. But each neighborhood definitely also has rentals affordable for regular incomes. If prices have surged in Windsor Terrace, my bad. It's been a while since the folks I know there moved in, so maybe prices have appreciated beyond what I assumed.

But the point stands that these areas are generally still relatively less expensive than the neighborhoods most newcomers first think of. And in terms of QOL they do vary, though like I said, none are war zones or close to it.
I don't think you can get into areas like Bay Ridge or Riverdale on a single income unless you're making 60k+, and I don't know what musicians make but all I can say is, he'd better have a study gig. You'd have to look around extra hard or hope you can get a deal with a homeowner for anything less. These days even the cheapest areas are going for $1,400 for most one bedrooms. You have to go to the real hell holes to get anything under that or get a studio. Windsor Terrace didn't explode. It's always been quite expensive. Just do a search on Trulia for yourself or Streeteasy. Rents have really accelerated, even in the poorest areas of the city, including a lot of the Bronx.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:06 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I wouldn't call Bay Ridge middle class, nor Riverdale. They are both upper middle to upper class areas. Bay Ridge west of Third Avenue is quite expensive, especially the homes, some going into the millions easily. There is nothing "cheap" about Shore Road or say Ridge Blvd. Quite beautiful infact, with the express bus nearby. Same goes for Riverdale. I would agree with areas like Bedford Park and Sunset Park being cheap, but even those aren't cheap these days and Sunset Park is relatively ugly and industrial. Windsor Terrace sure as hell isn't cheap either (I can't recall it ever being cheap even before Brooklyn became filled with hipsters) and is quite nice, and pretty expensive, since most of it is close to Prospect Park. You need to do a better job of classifying neighborhoods. Windsor Terrace is right up there with Park Slope and Brooklyn Heights, in terms of the best (and most expensive) Brooklyn neighborhoods, and let's not forget Bay Ridge (clean, family oriented, lots of restaurants and bars) and of course Dyker Heights.
Riverdale may be considered a middle class or upper middle class area, but apartments there are cheaper than in most neighborhoods of NYC, whether to rent or buy.
I bet it's even cheaper than Sunset Park, actually.
(It's also a bit further from midtown Manhattan).

Old 05-28-2017, 08:28 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
OP- I agree with some of the other advice given on this thread -- that you might look at neighborhoods in outskirts of the outer boroughs. Newark was also a good suggestion, although not sure about safety in much of Newark. If you go outside of the reaches of the subway or PATH train, or Staten Island ferry, you are looking at possibly high commuting costs. For example if you go into parts of Westchester, CT or Long Island, what you might save in rent (if anything at all) would be eaten up by your costs on the LIRR or Metro North trains.

The advice given to you about defining what affordable means was also on target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City