Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2017, 05:34 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,841,028 times

Advertisements

I find an enormous parallel between the trajectory of the US with the trajectory of NYC. Most noted, in my mind, is the incredible rise of the US in the first half of the 20th century, this coming of age era when the nation was becoming one of the leaders among nations and on a trajectory to being the greatest nation on earth and NYC's amazing rise in during the same era, itself headed for "world's greatest city" status.

New York City today is unquestionably either the world's greatest city or one that shares that role with London. In the US, NYC has no peers and is our ultimate city. No question there. But NYC does not play in the local pond that is the US and in that bigger pond, international cities, unlike domestic ones, can and do challenge its role and status.

Yet NYC is in America. And it would be hard to ignore that, in relationship to other places, our nation's relative position is dropping. An argument of "America in Decline" is one that would not be hard to make.

If (and I realize that is a big "if") you accept the US's declining position currently, what does that mean for NYC's future? In an era when there is a shift taking place from the North Atlantic, centered largely on the US and to a lesser degree Western Europe, being the center of the world to an era, with the amazing rise of Asia and the Far East, where the future suggests the east-west axis of Eurasia as being the heart of the planet, with the United States and the Americas being more peripheral, CAN NYC REMAIN AT THE TOP OF ITS GAME?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 06:01 AM

109 posts, read 95,294 times
Who cares, if it's "top of its game". Sure maybe Shanghai will overtake NYC in size and combined wealth one day. But if you love it here, just enjoy it here!

It will still be one of the major cities of the world.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:13 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,084,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I find an enormous parallel between the trajectory of the US with the trajectory of NYC. Most noted, in my mind, is the incredible rise of the US in the first half of the 20th century, this coming of age era when the nation was becoming one of the leaders among nations and on a trajectory to being the greatest nation on earth and NYC's amazing rise in during the same era, itself headed for "world's greatest city" status.

New York City today is unquestionably either the world's greatest city or one that shares that role with London. In the US, NYC has no peers and is our ultimate city. No question there. But NYC does not play in the local pond that is the US and in that bigger pond, international cities, unlike domestic ones, can and do challenge its role and status.

Yet NYC is in America. And it would be hard to ignore that, in relationship to other places, our nation's relative position is dropping. An argument of "America in Decline" is one that would not be hard to make.

If (and I realize that is a big "if") you accept the US's declining position currently, what does that mean for NYC's future? In an era when there is a shift taking place from the North Atlantic, centered largely on the US and to a lesser degree Western Europe, being the center of the world to an era, with the amazing rise of Asia and the Far East, where the future suggests the east-west axis of Eurasia as being the heart of the planet, with the United States and the Americas being more peripheral, CAN NYC REMAIN AT THE TOP OF ITS GAME?
London has remained "at the top of it's game" for a hundred years after the collapse of England so it can obviously happen.That, despite the fact that London was nearly obliterated during that period. One could argue that London is now finally on the verge of keeling over but still , it took a hundred years.

One thing we know throughout the entire history of the world however is that once's it's over it's over. There is no coming back once the apex has been reached and the downward slide begins. Both the US and NYC have reached their apex and the slide has begun.

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-14-2017 at 06:31 AM..

Old 06-14-2017, 06:42 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,841,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
London has remained "at the top of it's game" for a hundred years after the collapse of England so it can obviously happen.That, despite the fact that London was nearly obliterated during that period. One could argue that London is now finally on the verge of keeling over but still , it took a hundred years.

One thing we know throughout the entire history of the world however is that once's it's over it's over. There is no coming back once the apex has been reached and the downward slide begins. Both the US and NYC have reached their apex and the slide has begun.
Bluedog, you raise good points here but I think in a way, NYC represents the US more than London does the UK. London is part of western Europe which certainly was interconnected through the EU; I realize Britain has "brexited", but it still represents that region and, as I noted, I think the axis running from the Far East to western Europe will be the key one, the center of the planet.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:55 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Quote:
, I think the axis running from the Far East to western Europe will be the key one, the center of the planet.

Right through Moscow?

Old 06-14-2017, 07:50 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,084,509 times
Quote:
Bluedog, you raise good points here but I think in a way, NYC represents the US more than London does the UK. London is part of western Europe which certainly was interconnected through the EU; I realize Britain has "brexited", but it still represents that region and, as I noted, I think the axis running from the Far East to western Europe will be the key one, the center of the planet.
I'd bring the axis further South, running from the far East through India to Africa. While nobody here is watching ,China is building African trans continental high speed railroads (electric no less),superhighways,container ports and the infrastructure to control everything,including unimaginable resources and deliver all to the East coast of Africa.They are really setting up shop.

Africa is the next China for cheap manufacturing and China is the next US for global domination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: