Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 06:41 AM

1,569 posts, read 910,384 times

Advertisements

If not wanting to hear that song all night is racist then I'm Archie Bunker...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 06:43 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
If not wanting to hear that song all night is racist then I'm Archie Bunker...

Old 05-31-2019, 06:44 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
My thoughts:

- This should have never became an issue about race
- But it did, so now we have to ask ourselves why
- No city agency was able to resolve this according to the original Gothamist article
- Why do people expect complete calm and serenity in one of the most densest areas on the planet? Everyone is entitled to find their own peace but it's just simply harder to do in Manhattan. I would not pick Manhattan as a place to live if I needed quiet to exist.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-31-2019, 08:15 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,730,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I think it goes deeper in that minorities have been putting up with this crap all their lives and accept it as reality of living in the hood. Then white people start showing up who haven't grown up with accepting it and start complaining. The long time residents on one hand are like, why do you not have to suck it up like the rest of us, and on he other are like yeah it's about damn time someone said something but does it have to be the white woman. All this leads to more self reflection on living standards and that they should do something about things instead of sucking it up

Old 05-31-2019, 10:01 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,056,101 times
What an entertaining thread!

Ice cream trucks at 10 o clock at night? Huh?
That might be just a Harlem thing because I've never heard of ice cream trucks driving that late at night.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:32 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,897,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
so are a thousand other songs, you want them blaring outside your window all day long all summer long?
come on now, this is NYC. it’s a damn jingle. rather that, than hearing shots in a mister softee styled beat all night long

Old 05-31-2019, 12:34 PM

425 posts, read 392,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
come on now, this is NYC. it’s a damn jingle. rather that, than hearing shots in a mister softee styled beat all night long
Yea, but nonstop fake Mr. Softee from some busted ass speaker all day is obnoxious. If it is just parked in 1 spot all day, playing the song occasionally is enough. Everyone knows it's there.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:19 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,403,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
My thoughts:

- No city agency was able to resolve this according to the original Gothamist article
- Why do people expect complete calm and serenity in one of the most densest areas on the planet? Everyone is entitled to find their own peace but it's just simply harder to do in Manhattan. I would not pick Manhattan as a place to live if I needed quiet to exist.

The guy who reactivated the thread, and other people who agree with him, did not say they wanted/expected complete calm and serenity, but they object to the irritatingly REPETITIVE LOUD jingle for 3 hours in the early evening, the prime time for private life of working folks. Even during non-prime time of the day, listening to a repetitive jingle for 3 hours is like Chinese water torture. This is not the urban white noise of street traffic (which for most city lovers is pleasant and not particularly noticeable), but something entirely different. I agree that ice cream trucks are more Norman Rockwell than racial, and I would certainly not outlaw them anywhere, but playing the jingle more often than once per hour or after 8 PM should not be happening. Like many other elements of quality of life, this is a common sense which has nothing whatsoever to do with anyone's race. This thread is a perfect illustration of the degree of absurdity to which some people are willing to take accusations of racism.

Incidentally, I was accused on this forum (to the point of a death threat!) of racism because I posted here that I reported to the Parkchester Security (in the Parkchester North Condo, in the central Bronx) a guy without building entrance fob, who waited in the lobby for a fairly long time until a building resident with a fob unlocked the front door with her fob, and the guy followed her into the building. Well, there are large notice boards in the lobbies of Parkchester condo buildings, and last time I was in the building where I have a condo, I noticed a prominently displayed poster in which, in large letters, the building residents are asked to NOT HOLD THE FRONT DOOR for anyone without the entrance fob, to protect our common safety. The poster was placed on the notice board by the committee of the Parkchester North Condo trustees - the chief trustee is a distinguished (in a Sunday church sense :-) elderly black woman, and to my knowledge none of the current condo association trustees are white.

There is nothing whatsoever "white racist" about not wanting crime in the building or not wanting an irritating repetitive noise every evening under one's windows. Again, predominantly non-white neighborhoods in NYC will not have any QOL as long as QOL continues being, insanely, labeled as a "white racist" thing.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:56 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,606,390 times
This post is race baiting, but who cares about an ice cream truck? They're all over the country and yes you'll have to hear them pretty often in the summer.

Old 05-31-2019, 02:01 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,730,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
who cares about an ice cream truck
while you're at work for the next 12 weeks play this on loop on your computer speakers and find out who cares

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzodaDCD798
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City