Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 03:45 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,996,001 times

Advertisements

Other things such as standardized test scores, demonstratation of some sort of relevant talent, sports, and entering summer high school college programs are all enormously important.

Having the money to get your kid tutored if they need it is more important that private school k-12 tuition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 03:50 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,619,869 times
Well, I went barhopping until 4am on Tuesday, I've never been more than 2 months without a job, I've tried almost every cuisine in the world, I'm a city person, I'm single probably for the long/medium term, ...

I see people raising their kids here all over. Ultimately it is easier in the suburbs and extremely likely cheaper YMMV. Ironically though I often hear from my friends that grew up in LI, Westchester, Jersey, etc. that they wish they grew up in NYC. Hard sell.

Don't make it an emotional move, do what makes the most sense or you might make a mistake. Is the expense worth staying? For some 8.5 million people it is.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:00 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,996,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Well, I went barhopping until 4am on Tuesday, I've never been more than 2 months without a job, I've tried almost every cuisine in the world, I'm a city person, I'm single probably for the long/medium term, ...

I see people raising their kids here all over. Ultimately it is easier in the suburbs and extremely likely cheaper YMMV. Ironically though I often hear from my friends that grew up in LI, Westchester, Jersey, etc. that they wish they grew up in NYC. Hard sell.

Don't make it an emotional move, do what makes the most sense or you might make a mistake. Is the expense worth staying? For some 8.5 million people it is.
You don't have to have a car and people who are long term housing residents tend to have lower housing costs than cheaper transplants. And yes city schools are full of kids.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:07 PM

499 posts, read 794,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
It's only *weird* because you're not from here. Overall can tell you, the UWS is *not* diverse, not unless you consider diverse to be a few *token* minorities. *LOL* Back to your question... If the suburbs aren't calling people, then they stay here. Westchester (most of it) is not that cheap (in comparison to Manhattan), especially when you factor in the high taxes, and the only reason people tend to leave is because they want more space, feel as if the schools are better there, and want to live in a more *family-oriented* place. The UWS and UES are about as family-oriented as they get while being in NYC. If you don't feel as if you can raise your family in those two neighborhoods, then yes, you need to move to Westchester. The UES is especially family-oriented, which is why singles generally don't care for the place because it's considered to be too boring and stuffy, with not enough night life. The UWS is more mixed in that regard. Plenty of young singles, with the rommate situation or just single in general with your families thrown in.
You don't know what you're talking about. The Upper West Side is pretty diverse. Maybe not Central Park West or Riverside Drive, but in between there is an immense amount of units in SROs, public housing buildings, and under rent control catering to a wide-array of households.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:22 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,308,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
You don't know what you're talking about. The Upper West Side is pretty diverse. Maybe not Central Park West or Riverside Drive, but in between there is an immense amount of units in SROs, public housing buildings, and under rent control catering to a wide-array of households.
Am there regularly and know *exactly* what I'm talking about. Where the OP is located is NOT diverse. Am aware of the housing projects or whatever, but some like to stretch the UWS boundaries. Depending on what one considers the UWS, can call it diverse, but there are various sections that are NOT diverse.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:37 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,602,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
One couple is obviously from Latin America or Spain, but if they didn't open their mouths, they could pass for white. .
They could pass for white because they ARE white.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:54 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,871,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
/thread

In all seriousness, though.
If you're making >80k as a single guy, I'd say there's no better place to be.

Once you get married and have 2 kids and your combined HH income isn't = or > than 200k then you're better off looking elsewhere.
200k for a family of 4 gets you a comfortable lifestyle, imo. Go below that and then you're making trade offs in commute times, housing size, safety or education quality.
You left just when Astoria was getting better (ferry service)!

Old 08-10-2017, 06:16 PM

8 posts, read 7,640 times
For us... well, at least for me, it's been weird raising kids in the city. I grew up in a small town in the Mississippi delta where everyone played outside without adult supervision. We could go to the local pool or baseball field and not worry about being solicited for drugs, etc. In Manhattan, young kids don't seem to have the same freedom. Everything is structured. That said, my stepsons seem to be thriving here. I'm not sure why I feel staying in the city is the selfish option when we can easily afford buying a home somewhere in Westchester where my stepsons don't have to take an admissions test every four years or so. I guess that's it. I feel selfish staying in the city.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:47 PM

402 posts, read 519,308 times
We moved to Long Island (Nassau) with no regrets... Love being able to live in a small town where people know one another and where people are actually nice. I still get a kick out of seeing the kids in the pool, riding on their quads, walking to the private beach etc. These are things we wouldnt be able to do in the city. I do tons of work in Brooklyn and always bring my oldest with me so he is aware of the differences between the two.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:26 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,902,326 times
If it's not a house in Scarsdale, I don't want it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City