Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 02:28 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
North of Roosevelt av is Jackson Heights. South of Roosevelt av is Elmhurst. That station is just as much Elmhurst as it is Jackson Heights.
No, it's Jackson Hts. See address of the BoFA ATM inside:

https://locators.bankofamerica.com/n...ts-108960.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 02:32 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
The budget went as high as $2500 for a 2 bedroom. BF wanted to be within 30 minutes of Manhattan. I was willing to move further out. And before you say "What you couldn't find anything?"
BF had little to no credit and I have a bankruptcy on mine so a lot of places we didn't apply to because I didn't want to risk it.
So yeah the Bronx was our best bet for everything we needed and could get.
Am not sure why you would post such an article then. Price isn't the issue. Your bankruptcy and his lack of credit is. Am here to tell you these days the differences in price between the Bronx and Queens is minimal when comparing the better areas.

Can use Forest Hills and Riverdale as an example. In Riverdale, 2 bedrooms are going for $2200 - 3200 at the high end. This is about the price range of most places in Forest Hills, with a few exceptions.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:34 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
No, it's Jackson Hts. See address of the BoFA ATM inside:

https://locators.bankofamerica.com/n...ts-108960.html
What precinct covers that station?

What community board covers that station?

What school district covers that station?

Old 08-11-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
What precinct covers that station?

What community board covers that station?

What school district covers that station?

This is all irrelevant. You just need to know the address, which is in Jackson Heights, not Elmhurst.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
This is all irrelevant. You just need to know the address, which is in Jackson Heights, not Elmhurst.
Then it is a part of Jackson Heights that goes into Elmhurst. The post office is the only thing that considers it Jackson Heights, but they don't get mail on that block anyway.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Then it is a part of Jackson Heights that goes into Elmhurst. The post office is the only thing that considers it Jackson Heights,

No, either it is in Jackson Heights, or not in Jackson Heights. Address says it is in Jackson Heights. And wait till there is a lawsuit.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
No, either it is in Jackson Heights, or not in Jackson Heights. Address says it is in Jackson Heights. And wait till there is a lawsuit.
Or maybe it is Woodside, which starts on the other side of Broadway. We'll compromise on Woodside.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Addresses aren't always so clear cut. For example, the area between Eliot av and the LIE has a Middle Village address, but historically it was always Elmhurst.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:27 PM

782 posts, read 527,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
I posted this on my Facebook page yesterday and said to BF that I guess we are staying in the Bronx as it was kind my plan to leave once our lease was up in May.
I wish these articles would stop coming out because I don't think they are all that true. I think prices are all over the place.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...2d19-139914237
You can't just look at these articles that don't give much information. "Median rent" doesn't mean anything when there are a lot of new luxury buildings entering the market. Specifically, if you go to the original source, you'll see that for Northwest Queens (which includes Long Island City, Astoria, Sunnyside, Woodside), new developments made up 36.4% of new lease signings in July 2017, up from 29.9% a year ago. That's why the median rent is up.

https://www.elliman.com/pdf/28890dcb...a254f0cb8d8473

There will obviously be a wide range in rents depending on how updated the apartments are, the square footage, type of building, etc. I saw several older 1-bedrooms in Astoria last year in the $1600-1700 range.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:47 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What? There's Ridgewood, Middle Village, Woodside, Corona, Jackson Heights, Elmhurst, Jamaica, Woodhaven, Richmond Hill, Ozone Park, the Rockaways, and more that aren't pricy like Northwest Queens and don't require bus or commuter rail transfer. Queens is massive. Your point of reference is the Bronx and only the closest in parts of the Bronx are equivalent to the closest in Queens neighborhoods listed in terms of distance to Midtown or Downtown.
I haven't tracked the rents of all these areas. However, I know factually that Ridgewood no longer a cheap neighborhood. It's right next to Bushwick and people who have been priced out there, come here.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/searc...labilityMode=0

The best here is $1350, is a 15 min from the subway and what a dump! At the $1500 mark, well you're looking in an area that you might have to walk all the way to Myrtle Wyckoff; perhaps 15-20 min walk. (Not part of what I would call "Ridgewood Prime" which would be 5 min walk to the M train.

I keep seeing this. I think the problem here is that the posters haven't been to Ridgewood recently. It's unrecognizable from even two years ago.

For example almost all of these establishments did not exist 5 years ago.
The Bad Old Days — $1 off Summer Ale cans and $1 off bar snacks;
Aunt Ginny’s — $1 off Summer Ale Drafts and $2 off sandwiches;
Ridgewood Pork Store — Buy a pound of smoked pork sausage, get one pound half off;
Tornado Crepe — Buy a crepe, get a free bubble tea;
Kings XXI Juice Bar — Buy a juice, get a juice free;
Madison New York — 20 percent off storewide;
Rudy’s Bakery and Café — Buy an iced latte or iced Nutella latte, get a free Nutella or raspberry tart;
Norma’s Corner Shoppe — Buy a large iced coffee, get a free cookie;
Nowadays — $1 off a Brooklyn beer;
Saint Seneca — 20 percent off storewide;
Sweet Janes — $1 off a Brooklyn beer;
Craft Culture — Buy two Bel Air Sour beers, get a free Brooklyn Brewery pint glass, and more.

Source: Upcoming
With the exception of Norma's which is relatively new then, and Rudy's and the Pork store that has been in Ridgewood forever, everything else happened in the past five or so years. Norma's open when my 12 year old was around 6 or 7, so even it, is pretty new. And this is just a selection from the "Ridgewood Gentrification tour." I can list dozens and dozens more. Just on Fresh Pond Road you have Monk Cafe which has artisanal beers, you have the mexican joint down the block that is so new, it's not even on Google maps, a Ethno restaraunt, The spot cafe, cat cafe, a new gyro place opening next to an older (by two years) gyro place, a place called Dashi opening in Sept. This is all in a three block walk. I've notices dozens of new places that weren't there just two years ago taking the M shuttle bus. (I tend to eat at home, not out so I haven't explored much, but the quantity is stunning.) And you have art bars with the make your own pottery, topos bookshop where you can get your matcha tea.... Julie's wine bar.... I can go on.

Many believe the founder of Ridgewood Social had a hand of gentrifying the area. She did promote a lot of events that distorted the makeup of the neighborhood, and made it seem hipper than it really was. (I never saw photos of Polish ladies pushing their baby strollers, but I saw a lot of young hipsters and new restaurants promoted. ) At the time, I felt she was making it seem like a neighborhood that wasn't heavy family, heavy kid centric. And over time, a LOT more 20-30 somethings moved in the area. The subway used to be empty at 12am and 1am. Now the train is packed just like the L train very late at night with young people.

So anyone thinking this area hasn't gentrified is flat out wrong. I've witnessed it up close. It's no Bushwick, but it has gentrified quite a bit. The only difference is it did not have the housing stock amenable to new construction since there are a lot of private houses that have been owned for generations. However, people I know, some of them are having trouble holding on because the property values have gone up so much, along with their tax bill on a fixed income.

The latest outrage is the creation of new housing called Cornelia commons. For $1700 a month, you too can move into a 3 bedroom share; all furniture provided, no need to buy basic supplies like paper towels, a maid cleans the common areas, and you have access to a laundry room and a balcony. Many Ridgewoodites have coined it the extended dormitory where post-college people can skip adulting and self-care. https://www.common.com/cornelia/

I understand Jackson Heights is a lot more expensive than it used to be. I know a lot of families move there but I don't know the particulars. Many of the other areas except for parts of Elmhurst are in a double fare zone, or so far out it might as well be. Jamaica has some promise because it's on the train line, but it's really far out and the area is pretty marginal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City