Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2017, 01:10 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,197,063 times

Advertisements

Looks like plans for the Baychester Square Mall in the Northeast Bronx by Co-op City and Bay Plaza have been scrapped after a successful petition drive against it and somewhat significant community mobilization against it. The city councilman took a stand against it, and it looks like it is now dead on arrival.

Plans scrapped for Bronx

I have somewhat mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, the area doesn't really need another mall because Bay Plaza Mall is literally just across the street and has a significant amount of stores.

I would of course like a full stop community center built on the vacant land which I think used to be a golf center. A massive library would be great. Or sports center.

On the other hand the last is vacant eyesore home to nothing that gives the whole area an end of the earth urban decay type feeling. Some development would be good compared to letting the land just sit abandoned.
Of course whatever is built there will have ramifications and consequences for generations to come and should be well planned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 06:08 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
people were really outraged by this mall. what? the existing co-op city businesses don't make enough money as it is?

Old 08-20-2017, 06:43 PM

270 posts, read 145,570 times
How they just leave the land alone? Not every scrap of green space needs to be "developed". For Christ sakes, when is enough enough? Haven't they ever heard of over-development and the empty eyesores left behind?

Old 08-20-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosenza View Post
How they just leave the land alone? Not every scrap of green space needs to be "developed". For Christ sakes, when is enough enough? Haven't they ever heard of over-development and the empty eyesores left behind?
It's not greenspace it's like a large fenced off concrete lot full of weeds and dilapidated old golfing buildings. There's even an abandoned smashed up car lying there near the entrance. Looks like a total throwback to the 1970s bronx

Old 08-20-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
people were really outraged by this mall. what? the existing co-op city businesses don't make enough money as it is?
People in co-op city are afraid of more traffic and less parking in the area and seem to feel there is enough shopping as is in bay plaza.

Bay plaza mall created a front group and funded the petition drive. They were strongly against the plan because they felt that it would cause them to lose money

Old 08-21-2017, 10:05 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,606 times
Bay Plaza and the area as a whole cannot handle any more traffic in its current set-up. Ever since the mall opened it's been utter chaos. Can't say I disagree with the councilman. Not sure if I really care what his true motivations ($$$) is. I was there last weekend and this....total nightmare getting out (and I go out the back way, since I refuse to deal with making the left onto Bartow and going under the highway....it'll take me the same amount of time and a lot less aggravation to go around the back through Co-Op, and get on the New England by the Hutch.

Hard to tell from the article exactly where this was slated to go - on the opposite side of I-95, where the big flea market used to be?

Old 08-21-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Bay Plaza and the area as a whole cannot handle any more traffic in its current set-up. Ever since the mall opened it's been utter chaos. Can't say I disagree with the councilman. Not sure if I really care what his true motivations ($$$) is. I was there last weekend and this....total nightmare getting out (and I go out the back way, since I refuse to deal with making the left onto Bartow and going under the highway....it'll take me the same amount of time and a lot less aggravation to go around the back through Co-Op, and get on the New England by the Hutch.

Hard to tell from the article exactly where this was slated to go - on the opposite side of I-95, where the big flea market used to be?
Basically across the street from the Home Depot, Aldis, Chuck E. Cheese, Friendlys planet fitness.

I don't know if a flea market was there but I think it's last use was as a golf shooting range and mingolf center that I think went bankrupt.

It's MTA land so now the MTA is threatening to use it as a bus terminal which would be way worse. MTA Seems upset because they stood to make $30 million of selling the land to the mall developer

Old 08-21-2017, 11:06 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
Bay Plaza Mall kinda stinks, but I'd rather not another mall but something more interesting in its place. Not going to happen, but still a hopeful thought. I never drive there though, only have taken the bus and usually by accident because I really want to go to City Island haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: