Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2017, 11:17 AM

6,684 posts, read 6,027,847 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here know how long a club or bar owner keeps a copy of a DVR security system recording? I ask because a friend of mine was choked by another girl whom she knows. My friend had to punch the girls face to get out of the choke as she couldn't breathe. Since the other girl suffered a busted lip during the incident, she's using that to show that she's not the aggressor although she did start the physical violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 11:37 AM

15,831 posts, read 14,469,933 times
Assuming they have video that covers that area, and it's recorded, it's really their choice. Modern digital DVRs can be set to retain the video as long as there's available space on the hard drive. Common periods are anywhere from a week to a month.

Likely you're friend's lawyer will need a court order to get the video.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:23 PM

343 posts, read 254,433 times
Don't go into bars. Problem solved. If law enforcement was not called to the scene of the crimes, just lay low and stay away from each other. Deal with it and don't go into bars anymore. If you take it to court and have video evidence both of you will be charged with violence charges.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:32 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,234,522 times
It really depends upon the place. Some record and 24 hours later record over what was just recorded. Some place keep videos on file and some place have cameras that don't even work.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
Don't go into bars. Problem solved. If law enforcement was not called to the scene of the crimes, just lay low and stay away from each other. Deal with it and don't go into bars anymore. If you take it to court and have video evidence both of you will be charged with violence charges.
One girl started to strangle the other and the other acted in self defense. I don't know how both will be charged.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:51 PM

Its too bad this happened to anyone but if you stay clear of bars and spirits fights like this would happen less if ever. I have two bullet wounds and other scars from street fights.

Im not a lawyer or bar owner but my guess is the bar will never release any tape like that unless it was to cover their own business but they easily get similar fights and assaults every weekend.

In my opinion if somebody assaults you and you assault back, a judge will charge both people. Makes sense? Thats why you should just lay low and let it cool down and if you ever see the girl again just leave as soon as possible and get away.

As for NY state Im unsure of the laws but in the USA we have a twisted system as far as genders go. In some states if a women assaults a man she can call the police and have the guy arrested because some states operate like that. Its scary.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:48 PM

Thanks, FS22. I'm sorry that happened to you!
Anyway, the girl with the busted lip posted about it on her Facebook that she's filing a police report or a restraining order against my friend. Whether she'll go through with it who knows. But I may have given my friend poor or good advice to get the video before the other girl gets her friends to lie about the incident in court (if a restraining order is filed). I think they're waiting for the video to be erased because it's been almost a week but she hasn't filed the report yet.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:19 PM

Yeah I have no legal advice or Facebook advice, but as far as assault goes it is always terrible physically, mentally, socially, spiritually, and finacially. Basically violence sucks. But I was taught at an early age that if somebody is bullying you, to go right at them right away and attack them right between the eyes. It's true from then on they will knock it off forever, but fighting is bad even just a little bar fight and squabble.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:18 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
Its too bad this happened to anyone but if you stay clear of bars and spirits fights like this would happen less if ever. I have two bullet wounds and other scars from street fights.

Im not a lawyer or bar owner but my guess is the bar will never release any tape like that unless it was to cover their own business but they easily get similar fights and assaults every weekend.

In my opinion if somebody assaults you and you assault back, a judge will charge both people. Makes sense? Thats why you should just lay low and let it cool down and if you ever see the girl again just leave as soon as possible and get away.

As for NY state Im unsure of the laws but in the USA we have a twisted system as far as genders go. In some states if a women assaults a man she can call the police and have the guy arrested because some states operate like that. Its scary.
I've been to bars countless times and I've never been in any fights. The same applies for most people who go out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City