Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 01:50 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Perhaps it's because, unlike some groups, they made a major effort to assimilate and place a high premium on education.

And despite your saying it's not against them, your post does have a somewhat negative, accusatory tone.
Why don't you state who these "some groups are"

Do Hasidic Jews assimilate? They don't even send their kids to American schools where they could learn what it is to be an American.

Jews are a highly mobilized group. they gather together to support each other's interests and mobilize to keep the business among them. I see nothing wrong with that and other groups which have been marginalized can learn from that.

But please don't claim that full assimilation has been the goal. Even today many Jewish parents despair if their kid marries a non Jew.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:15 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,421,600 times
Has OP been accused of Anti-Antisemitism yet? Usually anything that discusses Jews besides praise is considered antisemitism.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:36 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie216 View Post
Well now, if Zionist Jews control the world how come they can't seem to stop the Arab terrorists from murdering people all over the world? After all, if you're all powerful like that then you would stop your enemies. Why can't the ALL POWERFUL ZIONISTS stop ISIS? Gee, I dunno, maybe because that kind of Anti-Semitic garbage is completely false.

We have enough problems in America without people spreading lies and baseless hatred. Any enemy of Israel will ultimately be destroyed by the hand of God as it has been through all recorded time. Israel (named Palestine by the British) was a barren wasteland until the Jews returned and is today a modern, beautiful country. The world has nothing to compare with the great things the Israelis have accomplished in so short a time. The Japanese have been living there for thousands of years. The Koreans shoot one missile over them and they're terrified. You send missile over Israel and they shoot it down.
Trixie, I doubt that you would believe a word I would say, but truth be known, there are many of my fellow American Jews who, like me, oppose the very concept of zionism and feel that zionism is the antithesis of what it means to be a Jew. We believe in the equality of all people and that the the state of Israel (or Israel Palestine as some refer to it) should serve all those between the Jordan and the Mediterranean, be they Jew, Palestinian, or other, as equals. What is Israel does is definitely "not in our name." Two thousand years in the Diaspora in the land of others that culminated in the Holocaust did not serve as a lesson to exclude others in a so-called "land of our own." You know, kind of like the Pilgrims and Puritans who came to America to seek the religious freedom they did not receive in England.....and then turned around and made sure that no other religious group in New England could practice their faith.

Israel ≠ Jews and Jews ≠ Israel. The two are not the same. I can add the same: anti-zionism ≠ anti-semitism.

And for the record: God didn't create the state of Israel; the UN did in 1948. And the original zionists up through the time of the nation's founding, were highly secular and sought Israel to be a state for the "Jewish people", who they saw as an ethnicity, the largest numbers being in Eastern Europe. Theodore Hertzl, the founder of the concept of modern zionist, was not a religious man and was highly assimilated into German culture. He sought a Jewish state because even the Enlightenment did not prove to make Jews secure in Europe and hence a need for a land of their own. Indeed, the very concept of zionism had minimal support in the global Jewish community, certainly the vast majority of American Jewry were not in favor of it, and support for a future Jewish state rose among American Jews when the awareness of the death camps in Europe and the Holocaust became more and more known. As for Israel's turn to the right and the growing influence of the religious coincided with the gaining of the West Bank in the 1967 war and the settler movement into these lands. Unlike the original (1948) state of Israel which was located largely along the coastal plains of the Mediterranean and were not the true core of ancient Israel and Judea, the West Bank was. Secular Israel changed dramatically after 1967.

As for the absurdity and offensiveness and stereotyping that has taken place on this thread and the notion that Jews are "clannish": Give me a break. Our intermarriage rate is well over 50% and we are, short of the Hassadic and highly religious community, totally fading into the melting pot.

If you'd like to check out a Jewish site that is opposed to the idea of zionism, look at the following:

Mondoweiss

Last edited by edsg25; 09-02-2017 at 03:02 PM..

Old 09-02-2017, 02:46 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Israel ≠ Jews and Jews ≠ Israel. The two are not the same. I can add the same: anti-zionism ≠ anti-semitism.

If you'd like to check out a Jewish site that is opposed to the idea of zionism, look at the following:

Mondoweiss
You will however admit that Jews have power disproportionate to their population size and that US policy for some reason has this irrational need to support whatever idiocy Israel engages in.

Israel is not interested in peace or they would not be encouraging the construction of settlements on the West Bank. They would recognize that fixing the borders as at 1967 would mean that East Jerusalem would belong to the Palestinian state.

Your voice is in the wilderness which is the point that many will make. Netanyahu was even rude enough to tell his people that the USA will do as he tells them to do. And in fact the USA either condones his acts or sheepishly remains silent.

Why does such a tiny nation like Israel have so much power over the foreign policy of a super power. We can even argue that had the USA stayed out of the Middle East then we wouldn't have to deal with this global terror as the animosity would have remained between Israel and Palestine.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:08 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Am wondering where Shoshanarose is in all of this? Oh, forgot today is Shabbat.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:10 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
You will however admit that Jews have power disproportionate to their population size and that US policy for some reason has this irrational need to support whatever idiocy Israel engages in.

Israel is not interested in peace or they would not be encouraging the construction of settlements on the West Bank. They would recognize that fixing the borders as at 1967 would mean that East Jerusalem would belong to the Palestinian state.

Your voice is in the wilderness which is the point that many will make. Netanyahu was even rude enough to tell his people that the USA will do as he tells them to do. And in fact the USA either condones his acts or sheepishly remains silent.

Why does such a tiny nation like Israel have so much power over the foreign policy of a super power. We can even argue that had the USA stayed out of the Middle East then we wouldn't have to deal with this global terror as the animosity would have remained between Israel and Palestine.
And your point is? I've made it clear that a large segment of the American Jewish community does not support the concept of zionism and believes that all people between the river and the sea should be treated as equal. Among younger American Jews, the turn away from Israel is even greater.

AIPAC hardly speaks for the majority of American Jews and those of us on the left, the liberal/progressives, are opposed to the very notion of zionism.

Yes, I will grant you that Jews have climbed into the upper echelons of the American power system and that, quite frankly, the only other group that I can think of that fits that description would be WASPs (and I am not using that term as a pejorative)

So when you say things like "Israel is not interested in peace or they would not be encouraging the construction of settlements on the West Bank. They would recognize that fixing the borders as at 1967 would mean that East Jerusalem would belong to the Palestinian state", I say "hell, yes, you're right." And, as I've noted endlessly here, lots of American Jews agree with me. Do you have any f'ing idea how divisive the issue of Israel is internally for US Jews....that we are quite divided on it and those of us who are opposed to zionism readily speak up on the topic......although admittedly that has caused some pretty uncomfortable Rosh Hashona and Passover dinners.

Check out what great Jewish minds like Noam Chomsky, Max Blumenthal and Norman Finkelstein, among many others, have to say about zionism.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:29 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,955 times
Billions in reparations have helped

Old 09-02-2017, 04:01 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
In general, I will say that many people seem to hate or resent Jews, and I believe it's jealousy.
They are jealous because they look at our community/communities and see that they basically function.
That we take care of our own AND others (Jews tend to be very generous in charitable giving to both Jewish AND general charities), that we don't kill each other in our own neighborhoods (we have a very low crime rate as a group in general), that Jewish neighborhoods tend to be safer, that we don't resent when another Jew succeeds and try to bring him/her down, but rather encourage it.
That we tend to have less social problems in general: less divorce, less drug and alcohol problems, less single parent households, less crime.
We have a higher rate of college education than most groups (I say most because there are some other groups, like Nigerian-Americans, which I believe have a higher rate of college education). Also, it should be noted that the ultra-Orthodox and Hasidic Jews tend not to have a high rate of college education, but they are the minority among Jews.
In any case, I think people are jealous because we have it together a little bit.
A word of advice: get yourself together and your community/ies together, and you won't be jealous of US!

Whoa! Hold on there partner....

While there may or may not be a huge philanthropic impulse from the Jewish community at large, overall that group is *VERY efficient and well practiced in extracting federal and or local tax dollars their way. You only have to look at Kiryas Joel (which has the highest number of welfare recipients of any county in NYS if not USA), as proof of this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.ee7e45e9c5a0

Jewish Groups Get 94% of Homeland Security Grants

Why Jewish organizations received $110 million from Homeland Security | Religion News Service

https://nonprofitquarterly.org/2017/...errorist-harm/

https://www.juf.org/news/local.aspx?id=442046

Old 09-02-2017, 04:29 PM

120 posts, read 186,388 times
Pardon me, but the USA supports Israel for only one reason . . . it is a military necessity. That has nothing to do with Jews being at the upper echelon of anything except maybe the entertainment industry...review the chairmen of America's largest companies and you won't find many Jews. It does not matter how Israel was formed or why. It's a reality and here to stay. As for the Arabs, Palestinian or otherwise, they deserve exactly what they get. Who told them to start wars against Israel? Among the Arabs themselves the Palestinians are considered the lowest and the other Arab countries could care less about them, but Israel who they attacked and despise should now help them? They were offered their own country and Yasser Arafat turned it down..oops...maybe that is why they killed him. So now the so called "Palestinians" are out of luck because strictly under international law the West Bank doesn't belong to anyone and if the Israelis settle there then too bad. The Palestinians have embraced Hamas as their leadership and not peace. Good luck with that. As for Jews not equaling Israel and Israel not equaling Jews....I direct you to Psalm 137:6..."Let my tongue stick to the roof of my mouth if I don't remember you; if I don't prefer Jerusalem above my chief joy..." Israel is intrinsic to the Jewish people. The Arabs will get possession of the West Bank and Israel when hell freezes over, but the Arabs who live in Israel like it a lot. I've talked to them in Israel and so I know.

A love of Israel, a devotion to it's survival is one of the chief values of Judaism. As for Jews dying out...quite the contrary. The largest growing sector is Orthodox Judaism and families are getting bigger. Jews are not going anywhere. What may die out is Reform Judaism...as it should...it was the dumb idea of a stupid rabbi whose usefulness (i.e, assimilating with gentiles) has long past. Thank goodness the number of observant Jews is growing worldwide and also in America. Jews have always been a huge part of America's success and they could care less what anyone thinks of them.

Old 09-02-2017, 04:33 PM

175 posts, read 134,819 times
America support Jews because they rule American corporations, most wars are to benefit jewish interests
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City