Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 01:54 PM

13 posts, read 12,235 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are looking to rent an apartment sometime next year. He recently got a new job at a pizzeria. 6 days a week and each day is 10 hours (one hour is an unpaid lunch break). He will be making $15 an hour.

Me on the other hand, i only work retail and make $11.65 an hour. I get 25 hours a week, sometimes 20 depending on how much the manager is willing to give me when he makes the schedule.

We both have good credit mine is between 650-660 and my boyfriends credit is over 700.

Apartments we are looking at

1. A one bedroom at $975 a month but we have to pay for all utilities (close to both of our jobs though)
2. A one bedroom at $1100 a month and this one includes all utilities but we would need to walk 20 minutes to a supermarket since we both do not drive, we use public transportation and a bus doesnt go to the supermarket from this apartment. However it is one bus to our jobs but we would have to walk 10 minutes to the bus stop.
3. A one bedroom that is $1175 a month. Includes heat, hot water and cooking gas. Would be in walking distance to a future job I might get later this year if I pass the exam.
4. A one bedroom at $1250. The website does not state if it inludes any utilities but this complex has an outdoor inground pool. Will be one bus to our jobs also.

I was also told my boyfriend should be working at least 6 months at this new job before we look at apartments. Also, he currently works at a supermarket 6 days a week 7pm till 11pm making $11.55 an hour except sundays he makes $13.55 an hour. Not sure if he will be keeping this job.

Any advice for future first time renters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 02:18 PM

175 posts, read 134,840 times
where will you be looking to rent which areas? cuz I don't think you will find any one bedrooms with that low budget in decent areas

only thing you may find in decent areas for that price range is a basement apartment or studio

my advice to you will be find something that is decent yet cheap as possible

as you all are now starting out in life, you don't want to pay too much into rent right now because you both don't make that much income after all.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:22 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westindianguy View Post
where will you be looking to rent which areas? cuz I don't think you will find any one bedrooms with that low budget in decent areas

only thing you may find in decent areas for that price range is a basement apartment or studio

my advice to you will be find something that is decent yet cheap as possible

as you all are now starting out in life, you don't want to pay too much into rent right now because you both don't make that much income after all.
Am wondering the same. Is this even in NYC?? $975 for a one bedroom is almost impossible, even in the ghetto areas.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:52 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
am wondering the same. Is this even in nyc?? $975 for a one bedroom is almost impossible, even in the ghetto areas.
+1.

OP - neither of you make enough money for a lease. You had another thread & many already told you this...

And you're not sure if BF is keeping his job? You can't afford an apt.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:00 PM

13 posts, read 12,235 times
This is the $975 a month apartment Hunter's Ridge Apartments | Gateway Arms Realty

Old 09-04-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xowinterbabyxo93 View Post
This is the $975 a month apartment Hunter's Ridge Apartments | Gateway Arms Realty
not saying that this is not totally true but please do adequate research on the total cost of the apartments, sometimes when they say prices starting at a certain figure its usually to wheel people in and that's not gonna be the actual cost.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:40 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xowinterbabyxo93 View Post
My boyfriend and I are looking to rent an apartment sometime next year. He recently got a new job at a pizzeria. 6 days a week and each day is 10 hours (one hour is an unpaid lunch break). He will be making $15 an hour.

Me on the other hand, i only work retail and make $11.65 an hour. I get 25 hours a week, sometimes 20 depending on how much the manager is willing to give me when he makes the schedule.

We both have good credit mine is between 650-660 and my boyfriends credit is over 700.

Apartments we are looking at

1. A one bedroom at $975 a month but we have to pay for all utilities (close to both of our jobs though)
2. A one bedroom at $1100 a month and this one includes all utilities but we would need to walk 20 minutes to a supermarket since we both do not drive, we use public transportation and a bus doesnt go to the supermarket from this apartment. However it is one bus to our jobs but we would have to walk 10 minutes to the bus stop.
3. A one bedroom that is $1175 a month. Includes heat, hot water and cooking gas. Would be in walking distance to a future job I might get later this year if I pass the exam.
4. A one bedroom at $1250. The website does not state if it inludes any utilities but this complex has an outdoor inground pool. Will be one bus to our jobs also.

I was also told my boyfriend should be working at least 6 months at this new job before we look at apartments. Also, he currently works at a supermarket 6 days a week 7pm till 11pm making $11.55 an hour except sundays he makes $13.55 an hour. Not sure if he will be keeping this job.

Any advice for future first time renters?

No apartment in NYC is $975 not even in the hood

Old 09-04-2017, 05:45 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
I didn't download the rental application, but I'm willing to bet your work backgrounds won't be good enough. You won't have made enough for long enough. Do you have bank references? What's your credit score? Do you have a co-signer? Do you make 40x the rent? Do you have extra money for insurance if you don't have a co-signer? My advice is to be aware that you will face all kinds of requirements apartment-hunting and if those apartments really are $975 (starting), then people with better credit will be all over them.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
No apartment in NYC is $975 not even in the hood
I only know of basements at that cost or rent subsidized places

the cheapest you may get a one bedroom is 1100 and you have to look verrrrryyy hard cuz you can barely get an 1100 studio anymore

Old 09-04-2017, 05:46 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
3-6 hours north and west of NYC in Upstate New York rents are low as $400-$600 month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City