Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 06:23 PM

2,983 posts, read 1,167,096 times

Advertisements

One of the best Chinese places in upper manhatten is La Dinastia they started in cuba after castro they went to Puerto rico then came to NYC I remember every time I use to go there with my mom she order some Chinese food she order in Spanish! beef lo mein with a side order of tostones !! LOL!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 03:21 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
They're all over the place still in Southeast Queens, and probably most other places in the outer boroughs. I can see them being less common in Manhattan and yuppie Brooklyn due to the rents being so high.
I work extensively in Brooklyn and live in the Bronx. While I do run into them I don't feel it's like the 90s where there was one practically every other block.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 09-07-2017 at 03:42 AM..

Old 09-07-2017, 04:53 AM

478 posts, read 774,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
One of the best Chinese places in upper manhatten is La Dinastia they started in cuba after castro they went to Puerto rico then came to NYC I remember every time I use to go there with my mom she order some Chinese food she order in Spanish! beef lo mein with a side order of tostones !! LOL!!
Cuban/Chinese used to be a major category of dining in NY. I remember such fine places on the UWS, and down in Hells Kitchen. There must be some still around. Great food, and not expensive.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:01 AM

478 posts, read 774,190 times
Fried chicken's been a staple of NYC Chinese as long as I can remember. I've fallen for it a few times--- dirt cheap, with fries or fried rice (or plaintains!) -- it's just a sad lunch, and I know a lot of working-class stiffs live and swear by it. When you see the birds being tossed in the oil -- you can tell they are the bottom-of-the-barrel quality.

Now I'm seeing some places adding hamburgers and cheeseburgers, fish sandwiches, even pork sandwiches to the menu. I haven't been inclined to try any of that.

What's with the xenophobia of the OP anyways? This is New York City, for f's sake.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:52 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterStereoman View Post
What's with the xenophobia of the OP anyways? This is New York City, for f's sake.
Thats what happens when you come from a homogeneous place and try to convince themselves that everything's "all good," and they can hack it, when in reality they never really can get comfortable here. That's why they leave in 5 years.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-07-2017, 07:09 AM

375 posts, read 323,740 times
Quote:
Cuban/Chinese used to be a major category of dining in NY. I remember such fine places on the UWS, and down in Hells Kitchen. There must be some still around. Great food, and not expensive.
Nuevo Jardin de China Restaurant in Astoria. My dads favorite place. Def NOT for the health conscious!

Old 09-07-2017, 08:18 AM

343 posts, read 254,653 times
Quote:
Fried chicken's been a staple of NYC Chinese as long as I can remember. I've fallen for it a few times--- dirt cheap, with fries or fried rice (or plaintains!) -- it's just a sad lunch, and I know a lot of working-class stiffs live and swear by it. When you see the birds being tossed in the oil -- you can tell they are the bottom-of-the-barrel quality.

Now I'm seeing some places adding hamburgers and cheeseburgers, fish sandwiches, even pork sandwiches to the menu. I haven't been inclined to try any of that.

What do you mean xenophobia? Im talking about health, wellness, and nutrition. You are talking about Americanized Chinese food which is some of the most unhealthy food on the planet. Its a diabetics nightmare. And I do come from a different place. Hawaii. I am not a native New Yorker. So what.

I can care less if you grew up on fried chicken and Chinese food. All the nostalgia means nothing to me. You can kick fight and scream and whine all day long but this topic is about health, not how awesome of a new yorker you are and how proud and supportive you are of poor nutrition.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:05 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
What do you mean xenophobia? Im talking about health, wellness, and nutrition. You are talking about Americanized Chinese food which is some of the most unhealthy food on the planet. Its a diabetics nightmare. And I do come from a different place. Hawaii. I am not a native New Yorker. So what.

I can care less if you grew up on fried chicken and Chinese food. All the nostalgia means nothing to me. You can kick fight and scream and whine all day long but this topic is about health, not how awesome of a new yorker you are and how proud and supportive you are of poor nutrition.
Maybe if you'd kept your OP to how you were not patronizing these establishments strictly on the basis of the healthiness of their offerings, you wouldn't be accused of xenophobia. But the fact that you felt the need to throw a dig in there about how many of these places employ illegal immigrants which has zero to do with whether or not food is healthy/good for you, brings that point up.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:06 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,933 times
How do you determine the immigration status of workers in food establishments ? You have no idea of who is legal and who isn't.

And yes, a lot of restaurants, delis and other food places aren't healthy/good for you. The only way for you to have some idea of what you are eating is to prepare it yourself.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:05 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
what about La Caridad? Are they still around?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City