Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 02:18 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
As I imagine, the price is going to be expensive in the beginning, and not everyone is going to afford it.
They state the cost to JFK will start at $36 in year 1, and their goal is a $6 fare. That's cheaper than a taxi in year 1, much cheaper. The service will be so popular you'll never be able to book a ride. They're going to have to use a lottery system for bookings or something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 02:20 PM

I'm guessing with all the red tape the FAA will keep this project grounded in the US for many years. So yeah basically I expect to see the Chinese beat us to yet another advancement and launch this right away

Old 09-06-2017, 02:22 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,576,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I'm guessing with all the red tape the FAA will keep this project grounded in the US for many years. So yeah basically I expect to see the Chinese beat us to yet another advancement and launch this right away

Maybe, maybe not. My biggest concern is the safety of this new vehicle. I am not so sure about Chinese people putting safety first.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:

Maybe, maybe not. My biggest concern is the safety of this new vehicle. I am not so sure about Chinese people putting safety first.
"Ultra Redundancy

To fulfill our safety objectives, we chose the concept of ultra-redundancy. We equip the Lilium Jet with small independent components, so that, for example, a single engine failure does not have consequences for the aircraft’s safety or stability. The system can still do a vertical landing with a loss of multiple engines. This philosophy of redundancy has been applied to all flight systems."

https://lilium.com/technology/

Old 09-06-2017, 04:39 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I want to call one already!

I wouldn't take a Lilium over the Atlantic into Europe, though. Now that's some scary stuff!
It for short distance travel up to 150 miles or less safety is one number get from The Bronx to Midtown in 5 mins

Old 09-06-2017, 04:41 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:

How America going let other countries advance in technology but we can't

Old 09-07-2017, 09:35 AM

6,688 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
This is actually a brilliant design. Multiple mini engines, so instead of having to steer the whole plane, you just adjust the thrust to one side ofrthe other, or to specific engines

well done

Gosh, i love it. Can't wait until it arrives!

Old 09-07-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Sure sounds like a good idea, and I would definitely like to travel in one of these vehicle. However, I have my concern.

My first concern is safety. What happen if there's malfunction while this thing is in the sky? What happen if a hacker override the code and it doesn't do what it intended to do? My second concern, availability and price. I am pretty sure is going to be limited with the seat, and rich people might just dump their money in this to reserve the seat all day long. As I imagine, the price is going to be expensive in the beginning, and not everyone is going to afford it.
The prices are already posted - as a rider, not for purchase. And they're much cheaper than taking an Uber, or a yellow cab which no one takes anymore. Anyway, I'm fine being the rider.

Your concerns about the hacker are the same as with airliners. Airlines utilizes automatic piloting, which can definitely be hacked, and not necessarily from within the cockpit. Heck, everything that uses IoT including our nuclear power plants can be hacked.

We'll just have to implement safety codes, NIST based frameworks, and other regulatory policies to prevent such things from happening at a large rate.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:53 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
Didn't the military have a number of casualties with those vertical take off planes?

Old 09-07-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Didn't the military have a number of casualties with those vertical take off planes?
and plenty of casualties with helicopters and other flying vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City