Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 02:41 AM

508 posts, read 2,119,636 times

Advertisements

My thoughts and prayers are with all who have lost or suffered as a result of this incident.

In addition to the apartment building, a historical brownstone/rowhouse next door was also completely destroyed.

How awful for everyone involved! I can't believe this construction company had violations going back to 2007 and was never forced to stop work. Just terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 05:37 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
On a side note, does anyone find it odd that FOX News has been covering this collapse moreso than CNN, and that CNN has been covering the Downtown Atlanta EF-2 tornado moreso than FOX News? I know that CNN and FOX News are based in Atlanta and New York City, respectively, but both incidents are a big deal to the entire nation!
No, it's not odd. As you said, CNN is based in Atlanta, and Fox in NYC. Makes perfect sense.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:22 AM

893 posts, read 2,863,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
No, it's not odd. As you said, CNN is based in Atlanta, and Fox in NYC. Makes perfect sense.
CNN Tower in Atlanta was one of the most damaged buildings because of the tornado. So I am guessing that has something to do with it.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:04 AM

757 posts, read 3,363,196 times
Here's the latest complaint, which was dismissed: Overview for Complaint #:1217297 = RESOLVED

I wonder what's in store for the inspector who found "CRANE IS ERECTED ACCORDING TO APPROVED CN. #39/08, CD#3774 "?

You can check out the history of complaints and violations (DOB=Dept. of Buildings, ECB=Environmental Control Board). Some of the violations are petty (relevant to this incident) such as beginning work before the issuance of permit. Some may be the workers' failure to clear debris from the premises (if there were tenants) after they finished for the day.

This was an avoidable tragedy. My condolences to the families of those who died, and sympathy to those who lost their homes and businesses. Nothing can make up for the loss and trauma, but I hope the builder and contractor get the pants sued off of them and lose their licenses.

I don't have CNN, so I didn't know about the Atl. tornado. Wow, Mother Nature has been very mean to that city lately! I hope it wasn't too destructive.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:56 AM

757 posts, read 3,363,196 times
I've just been checking through the ECB Violations against the developer and contractor on this property. Flagrant disregard for safety seems to be the order of the day:
  • Failure to erect a sidewalk shed
  • Failure to protect adjacent properties
  • Unsafe storage of materials
  • Failure to install handrails on staircase
  • Failure to remove debris, creating unsafe work area
  • Failure to install standpipes in compliance with plans (twice)
  • Failure to erect a fence near excavation to protect public
  • Opening of weatherproofing on adjacent property
  • No site manager present; and
  • Two work-without-permit violations.
It really does look scandalous. These were not petty violations.

Let's hope they find the missing safe and soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City