Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 04:33 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,475,610 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of transplants in NYC, both from other states and other countries, however I think the idea that there's a massive amount of transplants from the Midwest is not true. Many transplants are from the tri-state area, New England, The South, The West Coast, etc. Plus the fact that a huge chunk of the city's population wasn't even born in this country.

Another poster made a good point, which I already was thinking, that Ohio and similar states are not particularly prosperous, so how are waves of trust fund kids coming from these states?

You can get a 1 bedroom apartment in Ohio's cities for 500 dollars or less, since the salaries are a lot lower on average and there is less demand to live there.

So one would have to be unusually wealthy for Ohio standards to supply their children with NYC rent money.

And those Midwestern cities seem to have their own hipster subcultures, which in a sense might be more authentic than that of New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 07:26 AM

6,682 posts, read 6,026,463 times
I actually agree with you. Most transplants are not from the Midwest:

https://ny.curbed.com/2016/6/2/11846...-move-from-map

Old 09-25-2017, 08:31 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,265 times
The "midwestern transplant" meme was a creation of mid-oughties anti-gentrification blogger "DieHipster" of the eponymous blog. Most of the "midwestern hipsters" are actually from the wealthy suburban areas of the greater east coast megalopolis, but the meme stuck, along with the concept that all these people were "red bearded" and had "noodle arms".

Old 09-25-2017, 08:41 AM

983 posts, read 931,504 times
Everyone I know who lives in the city but wasn't born in the city either came from another country or westchester, long island, or NJ. And one guy from arizona

Old 09-25-2017, 09:36 AM

181 posts, read 190,658 times
It's pretty hard to believe that almost every transplant moving here comes from wealthy families - like many people on this site try to claim.

I guess it's easier to say that rather than admitting that many transplants have actually grew up in poverty and have done well for themselves in early adult years, which gave them the luxury to afford 2,000+ a month apartment rentals.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:59 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,311,220 times
They are pretty much all from Ohio. Similar to how the OP believes that all Italian-Americans are eligible to join the KKK.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:12 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,298 times
I actually know of quite a few people who moved here from Ohio. I'd say they're centered around Williamsburg and Bushwick. Otherwise yeah, most are from elsewhere.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:19 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Ohio is not especially prosperous, but it is not Mississippi, either. There certainly is wealth there, and the scions of wealthy families do move to NYC to go to school or work for big companies.

Then there is the fact, as previously noted, that not all transplants are wealthy, though most do seem to be of a solid middle class background. A lot of middle class Ohioans are moving to Florida and the Carolinas, a lot like their middle class New Yorker counterparts.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:53 PM

139 posts, read 151,961 times
All of the trust fund types I know are either from nyc or the surrounding areas. I do meet people from the midwest but I feel like I just notice them more because of the stereotype. I'm from NC myself and it's interesting because the area where I'm from is where all of the ex-new yorkers tend to move. The stereotype down there is that all of the transplants are from NY but really people come from all over.

It's funny to me when new yorkers are surprised/annoyed with transplants because it's not like having a lot of transplants is a uniquely NYC thing. I heard the same s*** growing up in NC since my family were transplants there too.

Tons of folks from Ohio and the other midwest are also in NC...maybe Ohio just isn't a great state to live in? I mean honestly can you blame flyover folks for wanting to live near the coast? I feel a little claustrophobic thinking about living in a state that doesn't border the ocean.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:58 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,412,451 times
Yup, transplants are from all over. You just have a few on here that hate them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City