Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 10:20 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,883,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
Do you have metal detectors in your school?

I bet you did not...
Nice white children in the suburbs get to go to school without metal detectors and police with dogs.
Black in children in the ghetto get to be treated like they are going to jail.

Do you see something wrong with that?
And you wonder why truancy and drop out rate is so high in metal detector schools.

Ask yourself do you want to go through airport Security EVERY DAY? Most us when we talk about something like that we talk about how we hate flying BECAUSE of the hassle of security and go to lengths to avoid going to airports.
You have to be very weak minded to have a metal detector be what discourage you from getting an education. I use to spend 4 hours a day commuting to a better school. Honestly, biggest bully I ever encountered was my mom threatening physical violence if I ever brought home a grade lower than a B. There always going to be adversity you have to overcome, even when I attended university I had to take remedial classes because the better school wasn't even all that great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 10:50 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
This is why you put your kids in schools faaaar from the ghetto.

Although to be honest, the hunter in me wants to know what makes a NYC “conservation” school.
Bullying and students killing their bullies happen in all socioeconomic demographics.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
Do you have metal detectors in your school?

I bet you did not...
Nice white children in the suburbs get to go to school without metal detectors and police with dogs.
Black in children in the ghetto get to be treated like they are going to jail.

Do you see something wrong with that?
And you wonder why truancy and drop out rate is so high in metal detector schools.

Ask yourself do you want to go through airport Security EVERY DAY? Most us when we talk about something like that we talk about how we hate flying BECAUSE of the hassle of security and go to lengths to avoid going to airports.

So if you don't want to do that now as an adult why would you do that to child's mind still developing that needs to be nurtured not repressed through police state check points

These children need anti-poverty programs and enrichment activities. It is the depression of the ghetto that turns kids to violence. A metal detector won't do a damn thing but make sure the violence happens right outside school before or after school. It is a bandaid solution with actual repercussions in terms of the child's view towards education. It is not addressing the root cause.

When I used to go to metal detector high in the Bronx all the kids just stashed their weapons outside the building and so all the violence would happen right as school let out
Not to mention the demoralizing effect in the teachers. Who wants to work at a prison?

Old 09-28-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
You have to be very weak minded to have a metal detector be what discourage you from getting an education. I use to spend 4 hours a day commuting to a better school. Honestly, biggest bully I ever encountered was my mom threatening physical violence if I ever brought home a grade lower than a B. There always going to be adversity you have to overcome, even when I attended university I had to take remedial classes because the better school wasn't even all that great.
Then there's no reason to have metal detectors, if there is always going to be adversity there.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
So you're positing that a kid in a "suburban" school is more likely to experience a school shooting than a kid in a bad school/neighborhood is to encounter "regular" crime? Is that correct?

School shootings, although pushed big time by the anti-gun media, are EXTREMELY RARE. Like to the point of being statistical anomalies in the overall crime stats. They happen at about the same frequency as terrorist attacks. On the other hand robberies, grand larcenies, are assaults are common occurrences in some school or the surrounding area (crimes are not considered school related unless they happen on school grounds. These are FACTS borne out by crime statistics year after year.

Kids are much safer in "suburban schools", like not even close. Not even REMOTELY close.
So you want all schools to be in suburban areas? Should kids be bused out to these supposed suburban schools of bliss?

We all know what safe and suburbs are code words for, and even what crime is used as a cover for. Meaning certain people love their lily white suburban schools and want to disparage anything out of that.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:20 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,883,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
So you want all schools to be in suburban areas?
That only if your willing to risk your kids getting addicted to drugs.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:48 AM

The kid who stabbed the kid was bullied due to his sexual orientation. Only the kid snapped and killed two of the bullies. Many of you in this forum have disparagingly used words like nancys as code words for gay/effeminate. This killing was just as likely to happen in rural or suburban school. The fact some of you immediately said ur was because it was ghetto merely underscores your own racial prejudices. Due to school bullying, gays drop out of school at much higher rates, tend to be stuck at ****ty low level service jobs, have higher rates of suicide, substance abuse, and mental illness. This is well known throughout the educational system, but doing something about it is another matter.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:59 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
Quote:
So you want all schools to be in suburban areas? Should kids be bused out to these supposed suburban schools of bliss?

We all know what safe and suburbs are code words for, and even what crime is used as a cover for. Meaning certain people love their lily white suburban schools and want to disparage anything out of that.
I don’t really care if you or anyone else wants to imagine codes and CIA-like cover ups. I care about my kids being safe and attending school with the children of other people like me: people who have worked hard to ensure they can afford to live in a safe area.

If the city decided to start bussing kids again from neighborhoods where that mindset is not common to attend the solid schools in my area, I’d put my kids in private school.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:04 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
Quote:
Due to school bullying, gays drop out of school at much higher rates, tend to be stuck at ****ty low level service jobs, have higher rates of suicide, substance abuse, and mental illness. This is well known throughout the educational system, but doing something about it is another matter.
The gay guys I grew up with are all extremely successful, more so than the rest of us even. Only one guy isn’t technically successful but that’s because he became a Christian monk or brother down in Florida. He’s successful in his own way. But again, they went to good solid schools where education mattered. My friend John from high school was bullied as a freshmen but became one of the toughest kids in school and no one messed with him for the rest of our time there. He didn’t do it with knives or guns either. But then again we didn’t have metal detectors that apparently force kids to become criminals according to some here. Lol

Blame, blame, blame someone else. Always the excuse...

Old 09-29-2017, 06:09 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
Quote:

Its kind of like going to an Ivy league university, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City