Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 06:14 AM

387 posts, read 559,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The kid who stabbed the kid was bullied due to his sexual orientation. Only the kid snapped and killed two of the bullies. Many of you in this forum have disparagingly used words like nancys as code words for gay/effeminate. This killing was just as likely to happen in rural or suburban school. The fact some of you immediately said ur was because it was ghetto merely underscores your own racial prejudices. Due to school bullying, gays drop out of school at much higher rates, tend to be stuck at ****ty low level service jobs, have higher rates of suicide, substance abuse, and mental illness. This is well known throughout the educational system, but doing something about it is another matter.
agreed! I mentioned that it has very little to do with schools in a "ghetto" area when the truth of the matter is that this type of thing can happen ANYWHERE and at ANY age in any place. In this case, some people can handle bullying better than others, unfortunately he had enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 06:44 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,404,660 times
It's a shame that one of the kids died but hopefully this is a lesson to bullies. And this has nothing to do with ghettos. Bullies are found in all schools. I just hope the next time some punk decided to bully some poor kid he or she thinks twice about it. I hope they charge this kid as a minor and give him a slap in the wrist.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:19 AM

444 posts, read 387,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
Yeah and that was the worst part about high school. If you treat kids like criminals they will act like criminals. De Blasio has actually added plenty of metal detectors around the city. That is not the issue. When I went to Adler Stevenson, the kids would just bury stash their knives outside of the school and so fights and things like this would happen right outside the school. Metal detectors criminalizing every kid in a school is not the issue. The issue is the school administrations not giving damn about bullying, mental health, and supportive services for the youth.
My sister is a school counselor and before you make a statement like that you should find out EXACTLY how her day goes. How it is filled with bull**** paperwork because DOE is too cheap to hire the proper employees to do the job of an admin. She calls parents WHO DON'T CALL BACK. Her job is not to parent these children. Her job is to help guide them. She and her co workers do the best they can with the tools they are given. And they care about these kids. She has used her own PTO days to go to workshops on youth mental health when her boss wouldn't approve it.

Back when I went to high school my counselor followed me throughout my 4 years. Not her school, she gets a new class of freshman or next year it will be senior or the year after juniors. WTF. How can you guide and counselor a child through their years if you aren't their to follow them? It is the higher ups (DOE) that put a noose around school administrators hands and parents who aren't parenting.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:52 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,528,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Bullying happens everywhere. Just what form the bullying takes varies depending on the type of group one's in. The bullying that goes on in these elite, upscale, affluent schools can be just as brutal as what goes on in "these ghetto schools". But it's more psychological than physical so it's harder to see and report but that doesn't make it any less damaging. That said, what can you do. The world's a tough place and you just do what you can.
This is quite true. People seem to think that bullying is some kind of lower class or 'ghetto' phenomenon but bullying goes on in all schools, even the 'safe' ones that people who are concerned about learning send their children to. There is at least one child in every school that is being bullied. You may not see it because some bullying is not as up front as beating you up in school- some of it is on social media, some of it may be social isolation, etc. The person being bullied may not tell anyone, the person doing the bullying may see it as just harmless teasing. Just because you/your children don't see doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
This is quite true. People seem to think that bullying is some kind of lower class or 'ghetto' phenomenon but bullying goes on in all schools, even the 'safe' ones that people who are concerned about learning send their children to. There is at least one child in every school that is being bullied. You may not see it because some bullying is not as up front as beating you up in school- some of it is on social media, some of it may be social isolation, etc. The person being bullied may not tell anyone, the person doing the bullying may see it as just harmless teasing. Just because you/your children don't see doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.
The worst time in my school time was when I was in Catholic school. I was bullied horribly to the point that I tired to end my own life. My mom put me in that school because she didn't want me going to the public schools in the Bronx and we were going to be moving to Westchester in a year. A year of hell. The guidance counselor, teachers didn't know. I wasn't bullied in front of them. Between classes, on the bus to and from school is when it happened.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:35 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Bullying does happen in all schools but.... so what? I see this sort of nonsense justification all the time.Its just a self-justifying pat on the back and excuse to do nothing. BS basically. What's relevant is the extent and rate of bullying, and also the school administration's response to it.

Schools range from having infrequent bullying to it being endemic. There are schools in NY state, mostly in NYC, which are categorized by the NY DoE, as well as other bodies, as "persistently dangerous." Not all schools are the same at all. And its not the teachers who are bringing in the weapons. School responses to bullying incidents run the gamut from - entirely unacceptable and bringing parents in and monitoring (and suspension or expulsion) to the nonchalant "its part of our school's culture" - what can you do? - throw your hands up.

Yes you can , in theory, "get shot anywhere". But guess what - if you are in Aleppo or Mosul the chances are much higher than in Scarsdale or..

Whats the point.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:43 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deslove View Post
agreed! I mentioned that it has very little to do with schools in a "ghetto" area when the truth of the matter is that this type of thing can happen ANYWHERE and at ANY age in any place. In this case, some people can handle bullying better than others, unfortunately he had enough.
Again, is going to be different in a school that supports LBGTQ students, has LBGTQ committees and groups and a teacher appointed to be a counselor and point person for them vs somewhere where everyone is left to fight it out.

This bull**** "anywhere" reasoning is specious and disingenuous.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Bullying does happen in all schools but.... so what? I see this sort of nonsense justification all the time.Its just a self-justifying pat on the back and excuse to do nothing. BS basically. What's relevant is the extent and rate of bullying, and also the school administration's response to it.

Schools range from having infrequent bullying to it being endemic. There are schools in NY state, mostly in NYC, which are categorized by the NY DoE, as well as other bodies, as "persistently dangerous." Not all schools are the same at all. And its not the teachers who are bringing in the weapons. School responses to bullying incidents run the gamut from - entirely unacceptable and bringing parents in and monitoring (and suspension or expulsion) to the nonchalant "its part of our school's culture" - what can you do? - throw your hands up.

Yes you can , in theory, "get shot anywhere". But guess what - if you are in Aleppo or Mosul the chances are much higher than in Scarsdale or..

Whats the point.
It shouldn't be part of any culture especially one were it is supposed to be thought of as a *safe* place. I hate that this happened but I see how kids treat kids on the street and I want to go and punch them in the face. If parents raised their kids better school administrators wouldn't have to worry so much about how to handle bullying because there might not be so much of it. And yes not all schools have a form of bullying. If this boy went to a school were being gay wasn't an issue maybe he wouldn't have been bullied as much. Maybe he would have been bullied about why he wasn't wearing the latest clothes. Kids need to be taught how to respect one another and not use each other as the butt of a joke.
Good kids don't break pencils and throw them at someone as a way to taunt. I will say this cause it may seem I am pro school administrators. I'm not, because I am sure at some point a teacher did witness this but teachers get so much crap for trying to discipline students that many don't even try anymore.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:01 PM

710 posts, read 585,093 times
This might be a controversial opinion but I don’t feel bad for the bully. I was a victim of intense bullying and I know how far it can push a person mentally. If that person would’ve never been bullying the victim then this would've never happened. I don’t see bullies who get revenge taken against them as victims.

Old 10-01-2017, 03:26 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,149,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
It's a shame that one of the kids died but hopefully this is a lesson to bullies. And this has nothing to do with ghettos. Bullies are found in all schools. I just hope the next time some punk decided to bully some poor kid he or she thinks twice about it. I hope they charge this kid as a minor and give him a slap in the wrist.
I don't remember none of this when Colombine happened. People started blaming video games to Marilyn Manson.

The colombine shooter was also bullied. This unveiled racism for justifying this boys death because of the victims involved is astounding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City