Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 10:31 AM

987 posts, read 825,588 times

Advertisements

Someone I know lives 2 block away from her best friend in Staten Island. Her daughter was placed in a different pre-school( based on address) then her friends daughter. The pre-school her friends daughter is going to is a better pre-school. She was considering using her friends address so her daughter could attend the better pre-school with her friend. I know this is not the right thing to do and she is concerned about doing it. Any thoughts/helpful advice. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 10:46 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,051,172 times
Dont know about all the paperwork involved, but just do it. Your friend would just be one of the thousands doing this. In Northeast Queens there is apparently even a black market for this where people pay about $300 per month per child to use someone else's address just to go to an elementary school in district 26. Have heard so many stories over the years about people doing this and not once have I heard someone getting caught. It's not like it's the burbs where they send someone to your house to verify that the kid actually lives there.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Dont know about all the paperwork involved, but just do it. Your friend would just be one of the thousands doing this. In Northeast Queens there is apparently even a black market for this where people pay about $300 per month per child to use someone else's address just to go to an elementary school in district 26. Have heard so many stories over the years about people doing this and not once have I heard someone getting caught. It's not like it's the burbs where they send someone to your house to verify that the kid actually lives there.

Parts of SI are the burbs. Why wouldn't they send someone there? Thanks.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:16 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,884,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
Someone I know lives 2 block away from her best friend in Staten Island. Her daughter was placed in a different pre-school( based on address) then her friends daughter. The pre-school her friends daughter is going to is a better pre-school. She was considering using her friends address so her daughter could attend the better pre-school with her friend. I know this is not the right thing to do and she is concerned about doing it. Any thoughts/helpful advice. Thanks.
Your friend would need to workout the documents and get permission first. They can offer to pick up both kids from time to time and pay a portion of the utility bills if needed.

Quote:
Two documents below verifying proof of address
Lease agreement, deed, or mortgage statement for the residence;
A residential utility bill (gas or electric) in the resident’s name issued by a utility company (e.g., National Grid or Con Edison); must be dated within the past 60 days;
A bill for cable television services provided to the residence; must include the name of the parent and the address of the residence and be dated within the past 60 days;
Documentation or letter on letterhead from a federal, state, or local government agency, including the IRS, the City Housing Authority, the federal Office of Refugee Resettlement, the Human Resources Administration, or the Administration for Children’s Services (ACS), or an ACS subcontractor, indicating the resident’s name and address; must be dated within the past 60 days;
A current property tax bill for the residence;
A water bill for the residence; must be dated within the past 90 days;
Rent receipt which includes the address of residence; must be dated within the past 60 days;
State, city, or other government issued identification (including an IDNYC card), which has not expired and includes the address of residence;
Income tax form for the last calendar year;
Official NYS Driver’s License or learner’s permit, which has not expired;
Official payroll documentation from an employer issued within the past 60 days such as a paystub with home address, a form submitted for tax withholding purposes, or payroll receipt (a letter on the employer’s letterhead is not adequate); must include home address and be dated within the past 60 days;
Voter registration documents, which include the name of the parent and the address of residence;
Unexpired membership documents based upon residency (e.g., neighborhood residents’ association), which include the name of the parent and the address of residence;
Evidence of custody of the child, including but not limited to judicial custody orders or guardianship papers; documents must have been issued within the past 60 days and include name of student and address of residence.
What to Bring - Forms - New York City Department of Education

Old 10-12-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Parts of SI are the burbs. Why wouldn't they send someone there? Thanks.
It time consuming, expenses, and difficult to prove. In addition, you risk alienating the people you hope to provide services to. NYC property taxes are not directly tied to schools and the majority of NYC public schools are bad. The real question is if anyone comfortable sending a child to a most likely overcrowded school and are they prepared to do a lot of supplementary learning to make up for deficiency in NYC public schools.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:38 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,051,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
It time consuming, expenses, and difficult to prove. In addition, you risk alienating the people you hope to provide services to. NYC property taxes are not directly tied to schools and the majority of NYC public schools are bad. The real question is if anyone comfortable sending a child to a most likely overcrowded school and are they prepared to do a lot of supplementary learning to make up for deficiency in NYC public schools.
Off topic, but the more I talk to people that send their kids to the top suburban schools the more I feel that they actually supplement their kids' education more than anyone else. I was told that in certain wealthy schools districts a large chunk of the kids have one on one private tutors. Makes sense if you think about it since what else are the parents gonna do with all their money. So your point on being prepared to supplement learning is even more true for well off top performing suburban school districts.

To the OP, they will not come to your house to check. SI is part of NYC and that is not something that NYC schools do as part of the school sign up process. In some burbs it is required that someone goes to your house to verify before you child is admitted to the school. Not so in NYC, so as long as you find someone that allows you to use their address you can go to their zoned school.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 10-12-2017 at 11:51 AM..

Old 10-12-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Off topic, but the more I talk to people that send their kids to the top suburban schools the more I feel that they actually supplement their kids' education more than anyone else. I was told that in certain wealthy schools districts a large chunk of the kids have one on one private tutors. Makes sense if you think about it since what else are the parents gonna do with all their money. So your point on being prepared to supplement learning is even more true for well off top performing suburban school districts.
Arm race is happening everywhere given the economy. Poor kids compete by pooling their resources together in class (group) environment learning outside of school. A person teaching a class of 20 students at $10 dollar an hour will make the same as teaching one rich kid at $200 an hour. If I get lucky and the kid is very hardworking and disciplined I can save the money by having them watch online tutorials.

Most wealthy people enjoy their leisure time (especially sports) and don't have the hunger/drive as someone in poverty. Holistic review for college admission is popular because they can inflate their stats compared to a poor kid.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:25 AM

She is worried about getting arrested if she gets caught. It's not like she's sending her kid to a school in another neighborhood where they pay higher taxes. Same town/taxes. Thanks.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
She is worried about getting arrested if she gets caught. It's not like she's sending her kid to a school in another neighborhood where they pay higher taxes. Same town/taxes. Thanks.
You are only obligated to rent until enrollment date. After enrollment you can move anywhere else and the kid will be permitted to stay in the school until they graduate from that school. It is part of not disrupting the child learning environment and NYC being such a rental market. It is perfectly legal for her to rent her friend's house and move back afterwards. It is how some families navigate the school choice system in NYC (see article below). Like I mention the bigger issue is the students to teacher ratio (the good schools will be overcrowded and it can be challenging to get the most for your child from the individual school).

Your Address, as Get-Into-School Card - The New York Times

Last edited by NYer23; 10-13-2017 at 11:58 AM..

Old 10-13-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
You are only obligated to rent until enrollment date. After enrollment you can move anywhere else and the kid will be permitted to stay in the school until they graduate from that school. It is part of not disrupting the child learning environment and NYC being such a rental market. It is perfectly legal for her to rent her friend house and move back afterwards. It is how some families navigate the school choice system in NYC (see article below). Like I mention the bigger issue is the student to teacher ratio (the good schools will be overcrowded and it can be challenging to get the most for your child from the individual schools).

Your Address, as Get-Into-School Card - The New York Times
She won't actually be living there..just using here address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City