Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 08:20 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,998,729 times

Advertisements

There's no way to deny bad welfare policies have created generational poverty and allowed there to be much more crime than there would have been. There's nothing wrong with a governmental safety net, but welfare policies in NY discourage work by threatening to cut off clients who earn just a couple of dollars over the limit and by promoting certain welfare programs as lifelong.

What should be done to fix this?

And no, I'm not changing my politics. Though I am in favor of some government programs (my father benefited from the GI Bill) that doesn't mean I think NYCHA or Section 8 or HASA work well. They simply marginalize minorities from society and were a factor in allowing race relations to deteriorate.

HASA, the AIDS welfare program, gives lifelong welfare to HIV positive people though HIV no longer kills. Again this just helps to create and perpetuate an underclass of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 12:11 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,062,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There's no way to deny bad welfare policies have created generational poverty and allowed there to be much more crime than there would have been. There's nothing wrong with a governmental safety net, but welfare policies in NY discourage work by threatening to cut off clients who earn just a couple of dollars over the limit and by promoting certain welfare programs as lifelong.

What should be done to fix this?

And no, I'm not changing my politics. Though I am in favor of some government programs (my father benefited from the GI Bill) that doesn't mean I think NYCHA or Section 8 or HASA work well. They simply marginalize minorities from society and were a factor in allowing race relations to deteriorate.

HASA, the AIDS welfare program, gives lifelong welfare to HIV positive people though HIV no longer kills. Again this just helps to create and perpetuate an underclass of people.
How to end generational poverty. I just finished reading some Coates. Coates who blames everything on White Supremacy for what is going on in black America. all of his black and mostly white readers agree with him analysis. As for how to reduce poverty in NYC? Reducing poverty is not cheap and it cost money. Taxes for safety nets such as unemployment, to Medicaid all cost taxpayers money. What can we do to make sure money is there so that hard times folks don't suffer. If anyone goes on unemployment, welfare, Medicaid, or any program, their should be a payback period when things improve for the individual. Every dollar spent on services, a quarter of every dollar must be paid back to the system.

Like unemployment, folks have to either be looking for a job, working some sort of job that is not fulltime, or taking a jobs program to actively receive unemployment right? Food stamps, Medicaid, rental assistance should all have similar themes. This adds value and personal responsibility into the individual as for the system as a whole. The main goal is to get off of food stamps, get off of Medicaid, get off of rental assistance, and showing signs of improvement is just that. However if we get rid of poverty. Social workers, demographers, statisticians, anthropologist will be out of a job the next day.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:10 AM

343 posts, read 254,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
How to end generational poverty. I just finished reading some Coates. Coates who blames everything on White Supremacy for what is going on in black America. all of his black and mostly white readers agree with him analysis. As for how to reduce poverty in NYC? Reducing poverty is not cheap and it cost money. Taxes for safety nets such as unemployment, to Medicaid all cost taxpayers money. What can we do to make sure money is there so that hard times folks don't suffer. If anyone goes on unemployment, welfare, Medicaid, or any program, their should be a payback period when things improve for the individual. Every dollar spent on services, a quarter of every dollar must be paid back to the system.

Like unemployment, folks have to either be looking for a job, working some sort of job that is not fulltime, or taking a jobs program to actively receive unemployment right? Food stamps, Medicaid, rental assistance should all have similar themes. This adds value and personal responsibility into the individual as for the system as a whole. The main goal is to get off of food stamps, get off of Medicaid, get off of rental assistance, and showing signs of improvement is just that. However if we get rid of poverty. Social workers, demographers, statisticians, anthropologist will be out of a job the next day.
That whole narrative about white people privilege has got to go already. Bronxcrybaby

Old 11-12-2017, 05:42 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,324,838 times
Transfer beneficiaries of social welfare schemes onto social insurance programs, and overhaul the tax system to be a negative tax system where fake white progressives can directly fund the social insurance programs that support the poor.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:57 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,062,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
That whole narrative about white people privilege has got to go already. Bronxcrybaby
Im actually tired of the narrative white supremacy, white privilege and male patriarchy.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:45 AM

25,378 posts, read 37,110,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
where fake white progressives can directly fund the social insurance programs that support the poor.

How about "where real white rich fascists can directly fund the social insurance programs that support the poor"

Old 11-12-2017, 07:54 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,603,286 times
Quote:
Im actually tired of the narrative white supremacy, white privilege and male patriarchy.
Me too. I'm over the "privilege" stuff. Everyone has some kind of privileges, and lack some other ones.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Alright.. how about: people will just never quite ever all get along. Im glad we can all talk without censorship, at least here in NYC we still can, but thats slowly changing too. If people got out of the city more they will clearly see white people with the same big problems as "people of color" (cringe)

I read the other day its like three (3) white dudes who have more money than half the population the country, that includes low income people and lots of low income whites. So the narrative is that all white men are making you suffer?? Wheres my Nell Carter photo (from the TV show "Gimme a Break")

Old 11-12-2017, 08:03 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,324,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
How about "where real white rich fascists can directly fund the social insurance programs that support the poor"
They will contribute as well since they and the fake white progressives are the same group of people at the end of the day. It makes no difference to me or you who they actually are. It just happens to be that this source of funding happens to be heavily located in places like NY, New England, and California.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
They will contribute as well since they and the fake white progressives are the same group of people at the end of the day. It makes no difference to me or you who they actually are. It just happens to be that this source of funding happens to be heavily located in places like NY, New England, and California.
What if a tax law was passed to heavily tax the top 5-10 wealthiest people in the USA. No more using that worn out blanket statement "Tax The Rich!". Instead just tax the top 10 wealthiest Individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City