Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 05:40 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times

Advertisements

https://www.hrdive.com/news/nyc-sala...effect/508490/

Starting today, hiring companies are not allowed to ask you for prove of salary history. If you go to an interview they can ask you how much you are looking for but they cannot ask you for your current and past paystubs or call your current employer to obtain this information.

This is good, countless times I've gone back and forth with NYC companies over salary and rates. I flatly tell them they should honor the salary posted in the job description or my requirement. If they offer less, sorry I am not interested in getting low balled.

I had one NYC company a few years ago are ok with the target salary. Then after multiple interviews they submitted a low ball offer to my recruiter after I passed background check and then they asked for salary history with pay stubs. I did not lie about what I was making and I am seeking a $8k pay hike.

They came back to me with just a $2k hike from what I was making and I felt very upset after 4 interviews and the manager had very good conversation with me then giving me a low ball offer. Now why would I leave my current job just to make $2k more while the original salary requirement is $8k more than what I was making which I thought was fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 08:32 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Can't ask for salary history, can't ask if they're a convicted criminal... how the heck are you supposed to decide whether to hire someone and for how much?

Old 11-01-2017, 08:37 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,899 times
this is actually a race to the bottom if you think about in an intellectual way.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:34 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,463,111 times
The salary measure was instituted to combat gender-based salary discrimination, which is well documented, and I doubt anyone would argue with it (please don't, as I'm tired). Having to divulge a past salary perpetuated the long-established practice of paying women less (paid less on your current job, you'll be paid less on your next job, etc.) and that was the motivating reason for this measure. That said, it's a measure that will benefit everyone. It's a good thing for workers, perhaps not so good for companies, which will no longer be able to low-ball prospective employees based on what they made in the past.

Last edited by Moving415; 11-01-2017 at 09:45 PM..

Old 11-01-2017, 11:50 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
I think this ban would have hurt me for my current job. Before I got this job, I wasn't working for a few months and so when a good opportunity came around, I told the recruiter I was even willing to take a slight pay cut. However, this company was really desperate for help so when the offer came around, they gave me the standard 10% bump over my last salary. If they weren't able to ask for my pay stubs, they probably would have just paid me what I asked for.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:56 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,463,111 times
And you wouldn't have negotiated the best salary possible? You wouldn't have asked for at least 10% beyond your previous salary just because you were unemployed? You should never low ball yourself like that. You could have come down later in price if you really wanted the job. That's negotiation. Truly glad you found a new job, though, and that it worked out for you.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:01 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I don't think it was ever appropriate that a potential employer could ask you what you made at your former job. As far as I am concerned it is not the business of a potential employer and I am glad that there is such a ban on this question in NYC now.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:10 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,210,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
this is actually a race to the bottom if you think about in an intellectual way.
Why is this a bad thing?
Why should a company ask what I previously made?

Old 11-02-2017, 06:08 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I don't think it was ever appropriate that a potential employer could ask you what you made at your former job. As far as I am concerned it is not the business of a potential employer and I am glad that there is such a ban on this question in NYC now.
Me too.

I think this is very good news.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:20 AM

75 posts, read 81,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Can't ask for salary history, can't ask if they're a convicted criminal... how the heck are you supposed to decide whether to hire someone and for how much?
Criminal record can be checked. Hiring and salary can be based on job trial performance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: