Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 12:09 PM

10 posts, read 67,751 times

Advertisements

I think the Satellite closed north. Irish Eyes? Not south of Europe. If you going to post something make sure that it is constructive. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 02:01 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
I have no idea what you're trying to say in your last post. I asked you where you buy Italian bread. The place on 13th Avenue where my husband used to go closed down.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:45 PM

45 posts, read 58,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I have no idea what you're trying to say in your last post. I asked you where you buy Italian bread. The place on 13th Avenue where my husband used to go closed down.
I agree, I cannot figure out what V is saying. I took your post as you were asking where he gets Italian bread since your store closed...

Funny how people can interpret the same email so differently...

Old 05-16-2008, 07:36 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
Thanks! That really does make me feel better.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:00 AM

40 posts, read 143,988 times
I've lived there, I have a lot of family in that part of Brooklyn. I am white and have several friends who I have brought into that neighborhood who are not white and we have had looks, stares, and snide remarks. There are parts of this world, contrary to all of your remarks, that can be racist. That's a fact.

For all the responses....I am not dumb, that is MY experience in that part of Brooklyn, we all have opinions...and that's mine....and the comment about "yea, I'm sure that happened"....that is exactly what happened. So move on.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:50 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen718 View Post
I've lived there, I have a lot of family in that part of Brooklyn. I am white and have several friends who I have brought into that neighborhood who are not white and we have had looks, stares, and snide remarks. There are parts of this world, contrary to all of your remarks, that can be racist. That's a fact.

For all the responses....I am not dumb, that is MY experience in that part of Brooklyn, we all have opinions...and that's mine....and the comment about "yea, I'm sure that happened"....that is exactly what happened. So move on.
Well, I lived in Williamsburg and at the time had a very dark-skinned African friend who visited me on several occasions. He also got at least one "look" while we were together there.

That doesn't make the whole neighborhood racist. It may just mean there are at least a few ignorant people living there.

One of my own family members said something about my friend - that it was hard to see him at night because of his skin color. This same family member also tried to show one of my friends from the Middle East what kitchen appliances look like (not understanding that he came from oil-rich land and had more high-end appliances than she would ever have). He allowed her to give him the tour of her kitchen and later quietly remarked to me that she must think he lived with camels.

These comments do not make my entire family racist. These comments mean that one member of my family is ignorant.

Both of my friends understood that and were able to let it go.

"So move on."

Old 05-20-2008, 03:24 PM

Ever try not taking things so literal? Maybe you should try some green tea or something. I hear it works wonders for uptight people, just saying.

Are you trying to prove something to me with your cute story? While I appreciate the effort of comparison, just for your info, I don't think all human beings and the neighborhoods that they dwell in are racist. It's a general comment, wasn't meant for someone with nothing better to do to get all snotty behind the computer screen.

This game is like kiddie fun, what's next? Relay races over the computer? Move on….

Have a nice night.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:29 PM

Oh and I don't understand why someone in Williamsburg, who is "a very dark-skinned African" should have a hard time with getting looked at and made uncomfortable. Williamsburg/Bushwick (or East Williamsburg as the hipsters like to call it) used to be a run down neighborhood where people who were white were very scarce. White hipsters and yuppies pushed all the people who are from there out.

Just goes to show your ignorance about that neighborhood.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Oh and I don't understand why someone in Williamsburg, who is "a very dark-skinned African" should have a hard time with getting looked at and made uncomfortable. Williamsburg/Bushwick (or East Williamsburg as the hipsters like to call it) used to be a run down neighborhood where people who were white were very scarce. White hipsters and yuppies pushed all the people who are from there out.

Just goes to show your ignorance about that neighborhood.
So you're saying it's ok for YOUR friends who are not white and are given "looks" to label a neighborhood racist, but MY African friend, who was given a look by an old Polish lady (we're talking about northside Williamsburg here- which happens to be a heavily Polish neighborhood even now that the hipsters have moved in) should not complain? And not only should he not complain, but he should not even feel uncomfortable because somewhere a few miles away there is a black neighborhood? Talk about two-faced and ignorant.

I don't have any ignorance about Williamsburg, but apparently you do. I never mentioned Bushwick, or East Williamsburg. Go back and read my post since you seem confused.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Ever try not taking things so literal? Maybe you should try some green tea or something. I hear it works wonders for uptight people, just saying.

Are you trying to prove something to me with your cute story? While I appreciate the effort of comparison, just for your info, I don't think all human beings and the neighborhoods that they dwell in are racist. It's a general comment, wasn't meant for someone with nothing better to do to get all snotty behind the computer screen.

This game is like kiddie fun, what's next? Relay races over the computer? Move on….

Have a nice night.

Move on.
Drink green tea.
What's next, kiddie races.
Nothing better to do than get snotty behind a computer screen.

I must say you are really adding so much to this conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City