Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,181 times

Advertisements

I am freaking out because I rented an illegal bedroom and didn't know it and now I'm worried I'm facing legal issues.

I have rented my duplex apartment in Brooklyn for over 17 years and a few years back, I converted one of the bedrooms into a bedroom and a window less office.

A friend of mine wanted to use it short term but ended up living for almost a year. When he complained it was too hot or too cold, I gave him a space heater and also told him to stay in the common room next to the back yard if he was too hot in the summer.

He ended up owing me a lot of rent and when I started pressing him for it, he started talking about the room being illegal and i charged too much etc etc.

He left the premises but says he is talking to lawyers now who will contact my landlord (who doesn't know he was renting the room.)

My question is, can I get into financial or legal trouble over this? if so, is there anything I can do avert it?

If he agreed to stay in the room without the window, does that make him liable at all???

Thanks,
Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 08:43 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,730,715 times
that's some "friend"

You have problems if you didn't follow sublet rules. But that bedroom is legal and that's what he rented, not the office subdivision

But were you living in the apartment the whole time? He would be considered a roommate, nothing wrong with that

Old 11-17-2017, 09:33 PM

402 posts, read 519,096 times
What does your lease say?? Somewhere there should be a mention about subletting.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:42 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,242,166 times
This is why, no matter who, never let people "crash" or stay with you. I never ends up well.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:54 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,230,944 times
He’s probably trying to scare you into getting off his back on the back rent. It serves him no purpose to waste money on a lawyer. He owes you money, not the other way around. Also, what proof does he have that he was living there? Was there a written lease? If not, he has nothing to stand on, and neither do you as far as getting him to pay up.

Also, I wouldn’t sweat it. The worst you will get is probably a fine, but even that is unlikely with how lax NYC government is nowadays.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:56 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
As long as he is OUT, you are home free. Had he stayed on without paying rent, you might be stuck with him forever.

I think you might have to kiss the "rent" he owes you goodbye, I hope it wasn't too much.
You cannot sue him for it because you don't have "clean hands." You cannot collect rent on an illegal dwelling.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:52 AM

343 posts, read 254,754 times
Change the locks on the doors and move on.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:41 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,197,806 times
Maybe you should stop being such a slumlord charging overpriced rents for illegal rooms. They are illegal for a reason; it's miserable to live out of a room without reasons. Then you have the audacity to go after this guy for "unpaid rent" you were BREAKING THE LAW. Hopefully he does go to a lawyer, and you get hard prison time for this

Old 11-18-2017, 12:10 PM

343 posts, read 254,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
Maybe you should stop being such a slumlord charging overpriced rents for illegal rooms. They are illegal for a reason; it's miserable to live out of a room without reasons. Then you have the audacity to go after this guy for "unpaid rent" you were BREAKING THE LAW. Hopefully he does go to a lawyer, and you get hard prison time for this
About a 9 on the Taking things overboard scale Boogey, don't you think?

Lets keep the over the top reactions contained to just the PR refugee topics...

Old 11-18-2017, 02:08 PM

56 posts, read 34,619 times
eh hence why now no one wants to do anyone any favors. some friend you got.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City