Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 01:34 PM

13 posts, read 9,155 times

Advertisements

Ok, got it. Do you think they will report this to the DOI now, or only if I pursue this?

Ugh, what a mess I've made.

Thank you, StormGal and MacNYC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 01:59 PM

6,689 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FingersCrossed26 View Post
Ok, got it. Do you think they will report this to the DOI now, or only if I pursue this?

Ugh, what a mess I've made.

Thank you, StormGal and MacNYC!
It depends what the rejection notice said. What exactly did it say?

Old 11-28-2017, 02:07 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,462,890 times
They're not going to report it now. You could challenge this only on the grounds that you didn't misrepresent your income to the IRS because of reasons [whatever, name them]. That's the basis of an appeal. If no error was made on the marketing agent's part, then an appeal won't help. Move on to the next lottery.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:08 PM

It said:

"Based on the guidelines for eligibility for this project, your appeal has been rejected for the following reason: Failure to adhere to government regulations by not reporting and/or incorrectly reporting your income to the Internal Revenue Service as required by law."

Old 11-28-2017, 02:09 PM

6,689 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Quote:
It said:

"Based on the guidelines for eligibility for this project, your appeal has been rejected for the following reason: Failure to adhere to government regulations by not reporting and/or incorrectly reporting your income to the Internal Revenue Service as required by law."

The bold would make me a bit uneasy. I would write back and defend myself, as your silence may be misinterpreted for agreeing. But I don't know. It may be best to keep quiet and to only bring it up if they ask.

By the way, just speaking that you made a certain amount of money babysitting does not warrant this type of letter. Did you indicate in writing that you made the extra money? Because if you did, they will have some type of proof.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:16 PM

4,774 posts, read 6,571,114 times
I was wondering the same thing, actually.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:43 PM

Of course I put it in writing, because they asked me to and I'm, as evidenced above, an idiot.

The irony is, while I did babysit some last year, it was much much less than I told them because I was trying to make sure I was in that income bracket (which I am squarely in this year.) But I somehow doubt that the management company would look kindly upon my exaggeration...

Thanks again, you guys, for your input. It's very appreciated!

Old 11-29-2017, 12:46 PM

4,774 posts, read 6,571,114 times
If I were you, I would straighten out my finances and make sure my tax returns are accurate and reflect all income earned (or, at least, all income that can be traced). Then, hope for luck in upcoming lotteries.

Don't beat yourself up too much. You volunteered information that you thought would help you. It ended up hurting you, but it's hard to know these things at the time. The agents are trained (I would hope) to look for irregularities in reported income. Cash income is a particular red flag to them. Lots of people try to hide money so that they will qualify for these apartments. Others might be involved in drug dealing, gambling, and other unsavory career choices that produce cash. If you get cash, even from totally innocent means such as babysitting or friends paying you back after a shared meal, you will have to explain the cash if you deposit it in any way.

Now that you've been through the process, you learned a painful lesson. I'm sure it will help you in the future!

Old 11-29-2017, 02:52 PM

Alright, thanks, Mac. That does make me feel better, and, yes, I will certainly look at this as a huge learning opportunity, and be much better prepared for next time. I just hope the next time isn't so far off!

Best of luck, everyone!

FC

Old 11-29-2017, 07:24 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Hi,

I recently got rejected for affordable housing due to "incorrectly reporting income to the IRS". I was working as a babysitter and was paid cash. Has anyone had any luck appealing something like this? Or does anyone have any advice regarding the appeal process?

Thanks in advance!

FC
There is nothing to appeal; you were asked to provide *all* sources of income and got busted for not doing so. Just what would be the basis for an appeal? That because you didn't report the money to IRS Related Management should ignore it as well?

Earned income is just that; regardless of the source must be reported to IRS if above a certain amount per year. You aren't some school aged kid earning pin money from babysitting on an off Saturday night. But an adult who did so to make money. If Related was audited how would they account for ignoring your under reported income (should you have won a lottery apartment?), and thus qualifying for something you might not otherwise should.

Everyone involved in government (local or federal) tax collection knows there is a huge problem with under reported/cash income. As it relates to these so called "affordable" lotteries have often stated many are disqualified because on paper they cannot pay their current rent, much less the affordable. But in real life they have a side hustle for cash that is either unreported or under reported income. This is one reason why those applying for such housing are compelled to release tax returns and bank account information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City